Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with obese people on planes?

Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Are any airlines starting to more proactively enforce the 2 seat rule for the 60% of Americans who are overweight? I seem to be getting violated/smothered by morbidly obese passengers at an increasing rate in coach (which I'm sure is by coincidence, but very irksome nonetheless).

I feel like this is the airline's fault for not regulating the situation and that in the cases where I have been very uncomfortable, I deserve compensation.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
What does this have to do with Miles Buzz?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:24 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Smile

If I buy 2 seats, do I get double MQM?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
Southwest is the airline for you. It's my understanding that they play musical chairs. Any fat people who can't get a spot with an empty seat next to them are summarily executed on the tarmac and their blood is used to lubricate the engines.

Truly, there are a million aggravations with public transit. Stinky people, noisy people, nosy people, loud people, etc. Fat people are going to exist. You don't deserve compensation. Get over yourself. As a fat guy, I can say that I am just as uncomfortable as you when flying. To minimize that, I make every effort to not bother others - I pick undesirable seats, I upgrade when I can, and I've even bought an extra seat when the situation required. Most of the fat people I know do the same.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

I don't know your situation, but I'm really talking about the people who are so overweight they have to keep the armrest up to squeeze into the seat (ie. spilling into bordering seats). I was being a bit facetious about the "60% of americans" bit. If a passenger pays for a seat and he/she forgoes part of the seat due to said reason, should no compensation be provided? Also in these circumstances there seems to be a safety issue in the event of emergency evacuation.

At least these were my thoughts on a recent flight this week as I was literally pushed up against the window.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by marklyon
Southwest is the airline for you. It's my understanding that they play musical chairs. Any fat people who can't get a spot with an empty seat next to them are summarily executed on the tarmac and their blood is used to lubricate the engines.

Truly, there are a million aggravations with public transit. Stinky people, noisy people, nosy people, loud people, etc. Fat people are going to exist. You don't deserve compensation. Get over yourself. As a fat guy, I can say that I am just as uncomfortable as you when flying. To minimize that, I make every effort to not bother others - I pick undesirable seats, I upgrade when I can, and I've even bought an extra seat when the situation required. Most of the fat people I know do the same.
Sorry buddy, but when I pay good money for a seat, I expect to be able to use the full seat.

If a fat person wants all of their seat and half of mine they should pay half my fare.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:36 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this subject has been discussed ad nauseum, and inevitably devolves into inappropriate comments, this thread is closed.

However, the following (also closed) thread is worth looking at as it has a collection of just some of the many threads on this subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...sengers-y.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.