Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

leaving the country on expired green card...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

leaving the country on expired green card...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:12 am

from the CBP page.

"Please be aware that if your travel plans include air travel, many airlines will not board passengers with an expired green card - unless they have a Notice of Action (Form I-797) verifying that they have applied to replace it - in addition to the expired card, and - depending on where you are going, an unexpired passport."

They'll usually give you a transportation letter if your GC expired while you are already out.

my friend got lucky last year, he was able to cross the border in Laredo. We found out on the day of our flight to CUN, his GC was 2 months past expiration.

your best bet on returning is getting that application receipt. good luck.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by cyby
UPDATE: I spoke with USCIS about my particular situation, and they told me that leaving the country is not a problem, even with an expired green card. The problem is returning.
Really? Didn't someone else tell you the exact same thing, but was summarily dismissed by you?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I was getting quite a bit of conflicting information from 3 different USCIS agents. Anyway, I managed to score an Infopass appointment. Problem all solved! I'm now good for another year. Thank you everyone for their help through my paranoia! Now hopefully I have a quasi decent flight out to HKG...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:51 pm

Leaving the country in 5 days with expired green card

Hi,

I am really concerned because I have to flight immediately out of the US but my green card is expired. I did the process for renewal with my lawyer but I have not received any notice yet. He says it will take one month but I already bought my flight and I want to know if I could be banned from my residence since I just came back from vacation on August. Please help!!!

Thanks! I would appreciate it if someone could help me as soon as possible
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:54 pm

Paz1126: posting twice was not necessary; bumping a year and a half post was not necessary either; and the answer to your question seems to be in post #18 and earlier posts.
Welcome to Flyertalk, good luck on your endeavours, and please update us so others can learn from your experience.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:47 pm

Hi Zaynab,

I am new at this so it was a mistake posting twice. My concern is different since I can't get an infopass because I'm flying this monday and USCIS have no appointments for the weekend. Therefore, I wanted to know if someone can help me because I will not get any stamp on my passport to show when I get back.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you are able to get back to a US port of entry and your permanent residency status remains valid -- regardless of the expiration date on the permanent resident card -- there are procedures in place to admit you into the US that routinely may come with a cost in money and time.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...esident%20card
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you are able to get back to a US port of entry and your permanent residency status remains valid -- regardless of the expiration date on the permanent resident card -- there are procedures in place to admit you into the US that routinely may come with a cost in money and time.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...esident%20card

That procedure is the Green card renewal right?
I already did that, my lawyer have the receipt of that but I don't know if that would be enough satisfy at the inmigration agent at the port of entry. Are you sure that there is no way I can be banned from my permanent residence?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Paz1126
I already did that, my lawyer have the receipt of that but I don't know if that would be enough satisfy at the inmigration agent at the port of entry. Are you sure that there is no way I can be banned from my permanent residence?
You have a lawyer; listen to his/her advice.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:11 pm
Suspended

There are ways that you could be banned from your permanent residence but that would mean that your permanent resident status has been considered as invalid regardless of having a green/permanent resident card with or without an expiry date on it causing you concern.

Your lawyer -- if you supplied the person with all the relevant info, the lawyer is competent in the subject matter and the US does what it usually does -- should have a pretty good idea about what you can do.

About your first question above, lots of US persons with valid LPR status and expired resident cards are not barred from admission to the US at a US port of entry.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:14 pm

Thank you very much GUWonder,
I understand that there is no exact answer for my question and unfortunately my lawyer is out of state. I sent him emails with my questions but he said I have to make an infopass but I have no time to do that. That's why I was looking for help via flyertalk.
After all, I think I will have to take the risk at the US port of entry, I hope everything will go fine.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
My wife and I have been travelling all year with her green card expired, due to excessive wait times for processing the renewal, and she has been told multiple times to be sure that she brings either her letter stating that the application was submitted or a copy of the receipt otherwise she may face delays re-entering the country. She does also have a stamp in her passport that details her A number and status so that helps.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Thank you very much GUWonder,
I understand that there is no exact answer for my question and unfortunately my lawyer is out of state. I sent him emails with my questions but he said I have to make an infopass but I have no time to do that. That's why I was looking for help via flyertalk.
After all, I think I will have to take the risk at the US port of entry, I hope everything will go fine.
If your lawyer filed an I-90 for the renewal of your aiken resident card, he should be able to either fax or scan the receipt to you while you are overseas. This will be proof to the CBP Officers that you are renewing your card. Furthermore, the CBP Officers have a system to review whether you applied for one or not.

How do I know this? Same thing happened to my wife. Her lawyer scanned the receipt and she printed it out while she was overseas. She showed the officer her receipt in the Secondary Inspection Office and she was let in her way. Be sure not to be gone for an extended period of time or you may have another issue.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:18 pm

Nobody brought up the possibility of not being allowed to board the flight back to the USA. If a person's GC is expired and he/she does not have a temporary I-551 stamp or a transportation letter, then it can be a hassle at a check-in. I haven't heard that people are routinely allowed to fly to the USA with an expired GC and an I-90 receipt letter.

A possible work-around for people from VWP countries could be to fly as a tourist with an approved ESTA and then present yourself to the CBP as a LPR with an I-90 receipt letter. Still, the secondary is almost guaranteed at the POE, but at least one will not have to deal with the US consulate.

As a side note, I would advise everybody who has just applied for a GC renewal (I-90) to ask for a temporary I-551 stamp in the passport. They should not refuse it if you have a receipt letter. You do not need to show them the proof of an upcoming travel.

Last edited by König; Dec 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by König
Nobody brought up the possibility of not being allowed to board the flight back to the USA.
IIRC, it had already been brought up to Paz1126, but that is indeed something to continue to keep in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.