Wiki Posts
Search

You CAN buy airline tickets ONLINE!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold,HH-Diamond, DL-Plat
You CAN buy airline tickets ONLINE!

I usually use the self check in, grab my ticket and get on my way as quickly as possible as most business travelers do. Well... Having issues with the self ck in kiosk I had to go to the counter. Only one Agent at the counter and he had a customer, so I waited. As i am standing there for a few minutes I find myself compelled to see what is taking so long. I soon hear gate agent telling the customer prices, PRICES FOR FLIGHTS IN MARCH. This guy wasn't even flying that day... He was pricing a trip for NEXT MONTH! Then, he asks the agent if he can get it any cheaper? Does he not know that the internet exists and he could price all airlines at once? I was shocked, and irritated at the same moment. I really don't get it. Drive to the airport, find a parking place, PAY for parking, walk up to the counter and buy a ticket for a flight next month? I guess some people have more time than others.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
And this TRIP REPORT is about?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold,HH-Diamond, DL-Plat
sorry.. I am new to flyertalk.. i thought this was the proper place to Post a story like this.

Sorry, will NOT HAPPEN AGAIN
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Houser50
sorry.. I am new to flyertalk.. i thought this was the proper place to Post a story like this.

Sorry, will NOT HAPPEN AGAIN
Hi Houser50, welcome to FT. Don't worry about it. If you are looking for a more appropriate area to post such a topic then go to Travelbuzz in the Travel & Dining forum ^
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:38 am

We have all misposted a topic, but as the poster before me said you shold not worry about it. The topic usually gets moved by a moderator to the right place.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and over to TravelBuzz we go.

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:12 pm

Maybe he was just lonely.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A few of my more elderly relatives don't use the internet and mistrust credit cards; I could see them holding up an airport ticketing/check-in line while they pay for a ticket with a check.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Houser50
Does he not know that the internet exists and he could price all airlines at once?
Knowing the Internet exists and having Internet access are not the same thing. Not everyone has Internet access.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:14 pm

I certainly appear to have internet access, but I do buy tickets at the counter a few times a year. Often I cannot split payments between CCs or book a complicated itinerary on the website. So I make a point to buy the ticket at the counter when I'm checking in for another flight.

I tend to show up well-prepared with the exact itinerary that I want with the fares and prices, though. I can understand the frustration of waiting behing a bargain shopper.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
I recently had to purchase tickets at the counter (against my will). I had some United vouchers from a voluntary bump and the rules of using the voucher indicated they could not be used online - only with a real live ticket agent.

I had already researched the flights the night before and knew which ones I wanted, but when the ticket agent was telling me the prices, I realized they had gone up overnight. So, I had to stand there and go over different itineraries with her to make sure I was getting the best bang for my buck.

Luckily, I got there at a slow time - but I kept thinking what a pain it would've been (for me and anyone in line behind me) if I hadn't lucked out and gotten there when nothing was going on.

So, I guess, the moral of the story is - the person may have been aware of online ticketing, but their circumstances may have required them to use the ticket agent.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by lexi
I recently had to purchase tickets at the counter (against my will). I had some United vouchers from a voluntary bump and the rules of using the voucher indicated they could not be used online - only with a real live ticket agent.

I had already researched the flights the night before and knew which ones I wanted, but when the ticket agent was telling me the prices, I realized they had gone up overnight. So, I had to stand there and go over different itineraries with her to make sure I was getting the best bang for my buck.

Luckily, I got there at a slow time - but I kept thinking what a pain it would've been (for me and anyone in line behind me) if I hadn't lucked out and gotten there when nothing was going on.

So, I guess, the moral of the story is - the person may have been aware of online ticketing, but their circumstances may have required them to use the ticket agent.
Thank you, lexi for a very informative post. I appreciate your taking the time to post this information.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:18 am
Suspended

Let's not forget, even kettles without the internet can still PHONE the airline directly to buy a ticket..or hire a travel agent...holding up the line for things like that when people have planes to catch is outright "Kettleish".

My inlaws are only SEMI-Kettles..they fly more about 6 times a year and know to take their jewelry off at security, but refuse to use the internet to reasearch, buy or check in for flights. They are of the generation that had to check in using the line and they feel uncomforatble doing anything else. Hell, it was only last year I had to teach them how to use "bookmarks" in their browser. And they refused!!!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by lexi

Real live ticket agent doesn't mean face to face only, it can also be mouth to mouth on the phone.

In your case, you could have called the United reservation number, and telling the agent you are using a paper voucher (the agent will then also ask you the numbers on the voucher), put the flights on hold, so that you can lock in the price, and bring that voucher within 24 hours to the airport in order to ticket it.

Or if it is 21 days before departure date, you could have simply do the procedure that I talked about, instead of going to the airport, you can just mail in the voucher for ticketing. The agent will then tell you that address when they see it has enough of time to mail in the voucher.

It will also save you $5 booking fees ($25 vs $30) to book on the phone instead of at the airport.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 19, 2011 at 10:54 am
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Real live ticket agent doesn't mean face to face only, it can also be mouth to mouth on the phone.

In your case, you could have called the United reservation number, and telling the agent you are using a paper voucher (the agent will then also ask you the numbers on the voucher), put the flights on hold, so that you can lock in the price, and bring that voucher within 24 hours to the airport in order to ticket it.

Or if it is 21 days before departure date, you could have simply do the procedure that I talked about, instead of going to the airport, you can just mail in the voucher for ticketing. The agent will then tell you that address when they see it has enough of time to mail in the voucher.

It will also save you $5 booking fees ($25 vs $30) to book on the phone instead of at the airport.
It has been several months since I did this, so my memory is a little foggy on the details on the rules and you are probably correct - however, I do remember since I was going to the airport anyway for my next business trip, it made sense to get to the airport a little early and just do it there rather than on the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.