Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I can't believe no one has mentioned Karnak yet. I haven't been there but it looks amazingly mind blowing.
Do it during the day rather than the son et lumière - but I found Luxor Temple quite fascinating

And let's add Sri Lanka to the mix - places like Sigiriya, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa are just amazing and the Kandy Esala Perahera is mindblowing
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
The "Lochmei Ha Geta'ot" (Ghetto Fighters) museum in Akko, Israel. It's smaller and more specific than the Holocaust Museum in DC, but that's exactly what makes it so much more personal.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:06 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajophoto/3000003349/

Škocjan caves, Slovenia

We loved this place. Amazing.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by thegoderic
The crypt in the Cappuchin church in Rome
Slightly bizarre to see so many bones, but utterly compelling

Agree 100%. ^
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Ok, since I trashed the Grand Canyon in the "Most overrated" thread, I should atone for my sin by contributing here.

For me, a not-widely-known attraction that I loved was Hell's Gate, a geothermal attraction in Rotorua, New Zealand. I hadn't heard of it, but I got a free ticket when I bought my hangi tickets at the Visitor's Center. Because the hangi didn't start until the evening, I decided to kill time at Hell's Gate.

As a science geek, I was fascinated by the geothermal activity and its surreal effects on the landscape. I spent 2+ hours walking around the entire geothermal park, fascinated by the bubbling pools of sulfuric liquid and the erupting mud flows.

I guess it's nothing special compared to the Grand Canyon, but I went to the GC expecting a lot and left thinking "That's it?" and I went to Hell's Gate expecting a tacky tourist trap, and I left fascinated and amazed.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:22 pm

Mike,

I completely agree about the Grand Canyon. I'm surprised you mention Hell's Gate. If you were fascinated by that, then I can't imagine how you haven't been to Yellowstone Yet. You could spend 2 weeks there and not see all that it has to offer. I would nominate Yellowstone in this thread, however, I am sure it is widely known....
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by thegoderic

Rothenberg ob der Tauber
Picture perfect architecture.
Rothenberg in the daytime: a tourist trap! Packed with pushy tourists, impossible to walk around without bumping into people.

Rothenberg in the late afternoon, evening and at night: what a gem! Tour buses are gone and most tourists with them. The shadows, the echoing of your shoes on the cobblestones, one of my favorite places in Europe. Play on the walls. The locals let their guard down. Just fabulous!

Last edited by Gamecock; Feb 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I've been to many places that are justifiably well known. Of the lesser known places that I loved, I would have to say Algiers. Algiers is a drop dead gorgeous Mediterranean city steeped in white architecture with blue balconies. The Casbah has a far older arctitecture with alleyways and overhangs. There are hills and gardens, monuments and castles. Great food, great people. Roman ruins a short bus ride away and flights off into the desert oasis towns.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:12 pm

Kotor Bay in Montenegro.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Taughannock Falls, outside of Ithaca, New York. It's well known locally, but not so much elsewhere. Because it is not a wide waterfall, it does not exude the power of the world's more famous falls, but the setting is extraordinarily beautiful. Here's one view; Google "Taughannock Falls" for others.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nock_Falls.JPG
^ I agree. I thought I was 'waterfalled' out until I saw this lovely unexpected gem.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
The Li River in China. Amazing.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
The Souk in Sana'a, Yemen. Great to immerse yourself in the market. I asked about the damage on the big wooden gates and was told it was a British cannonball from a hundred years ago. Not sure if it is true, but I really WANT it to be true!

The Rock Palace just outside Sana'a is pretty special also.

Is Hoi An in Vietnam well publicised as yet? Very special place, particular during a full moon when they ban traffic and light all the lanterns... magical.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyhen
City of Lisbon itself.

Cheap, clean, warm, tourist friendly, friendly folks.
+1. What a fabulous city.

Loved the market in Cangas de Onis, Asturias, Spain, where you can taste the artisanal Cabrales from different producers. Actually, Asturias in general blew us away.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:35 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by snaffled
Is Hoi An in Vietnam well publicised as yet? Very special place, particular during a full moon when they ban traffic and light all the lanterns... magical.
I LOVED Hoi An!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:38 pm

Látrabjarg -- a lonely place at the western tip of Iceland. You walk the pathway along the edge of the cliff and look down at a hotel of millions of birds -- guillemot on one level, puffins on another, fulmars on another, etc. All flying happily into and out of the cliff rock. Below is the ocean; you can see seals playing. The pathway goes for 6 km until you're at the cliff's highest point, 440 meters above the water. The wind holds steady at 40 miles per hour. It's like something out of the Bible.

Seth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.