Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Yes. Stunningly beautiful. You don't have to be a fan of naval history to be blown away by the Vasa. But go as early in the day as you can -- this isn't a well-kept secret.
If it were just the ship, it would be amazing, but the ancillary exhibits are fascinating: the film about the raising and restoration of the ship, the portrayals of life in the seventeenth century, the reconstructions of crew quarters and the captain's cabin, with accounts of a sailor's life; details about the restoration of the ship and what mistakes were made and what they would have done differently, and facial reconstruction of skeletons found in the wreckage.

I intended to spend an hour there and ended up spending three.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:53 am

We enjoyed the Luray Caverns in Northern Virginia. We had never heard of them before we started researching what there was to do while traveling between D.C. and family in Virginia.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2

The NSA's Cryptologic Museum at Fort Meade: Way cool to geeks like me

Do not take pictures near the building. The place is under surveillance. They will drive down a little street at 70 mph, sirens on, and inspect your camera! You have been warned!

I thought I would be arrested! They said they don't want any pictures of anything remotely near the headquarters. Even the planes on display near the headquarters is a sensitive area. The entrance to the museum is ok, they said.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: DL,EK
The Tesla Museum in Belgrade, Serbia

The ruins of Meroe north of Khartoum, Sudan

Just about everything in Pyongyang, North Korea

Glacier National Park, Montana/Alberta
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
A great place, but "not widely known?"
The Taj Mahal appears on the 'overrated tourist attraction' thread, believe it or not!

I vote for Kansas City, MO (if a city can be included) They have an excellent WWI museum, arts museum, sculpture garden, and a large array of fountains in the shopping and dining district. I was frankly very surprised and pleased with the city.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:33 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by sipes23
...Toledo, Spain is rightly on the tourist trail, but it is a completely different place in the early morning and evening when the tourists are away.
Absolutely. Sunset photo from the Parador:

Originally Posted by rcoop
The temple in Narita-shi. I've lived in Japan, been all over Honshu, and to Kyoto twice, but I was absolutely unprepared and overwhelmed by the magnificent temple there. If you ever have more than a couple hours to wait at Narita, it's a must-see.
Roger that. I wonder how many thousands/millions of people transit NRT with a few hours to spare, not knowing what a treasure (ought to be a World Heritage Site IMO) is ten minutes from the airport.

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Napier New Zealand. Perhaps the best art deco city in the world...
Not to mention that Hawkes Bay is a pretty dynamite part of North Island.

Napier doorway:

Originally Posted by thegoderic
Having just spent two wonderful weeks in Cowboy country, I'll offer the Badlands of South Dakota and the Little Big Horn site as two differently wonderful spots.
And really close to the top when it comes to best "drive-by" attractions in the US. Both require minimal time to visit (or of course as much as you're willing to spend) with incredibly high reward:effort payoff ratios.

A couple of other sites I'd throw out - certainly not "unknown" but not necessarily on a lot of radar screens:

The view of Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives: Even if you're not religious, the sense of place still takes your breath away.

Cape Horn: Everything you want it to be:

The old city of Isfahan (Esfahan) Iran, in particular the Grand Bazaar.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Apr 28, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The city of Lawrence, Kansas and the campus of KU. I was in Kansas City and I drove down to see where they'd filmed The Day After (one of my favorite films) and it was absolutely gorgeous out there. Wish I'd had more time to check out some of the coffee shops/bars and maybe see a football game.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:17 pm

Iguassu Falls... I told many people about it and they had never heard of it. The most spectacular waterfalls in the world by far, I have seen so many waterfalls all over that I was skeptical at first but ended up being more than impressed!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Lkeade
We enjoyed the Luray Caverns in Northern Virginia. We had never heard of them before we started researching what there was to do while traveling between D.C. and family in Virginia.
Huh. I'd be more likely to put Luray in the other thread, "Most overrated tourist attractions in the world" than here. When I visited, it struck me as highly commercialized and crowded by tourists, while offering little in the way of educational value or fascinating sights. I've visited about a dozen caverns, and for these reasons Luray ranks near the bottom of that set.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
For me it would have to be the Budavári Labirintus in Budapest.
While touring the castle district I stumbled upon the iron gate of a labyrinth and walked in. Wash shocked and amazed after I toured it. It is a large network of tunnels underneath. The labyrinth sits pretty much under castle hill.

Gallery

While searching I also stumbled upon this, never been but might be very cool to see:

Underground Military Hospital. We stumbled upon this quite by accident. After visiting Matthias Church on Castle Hill (it’s more a cathedral than a church), we walked past a glass booth with signs mentioning tours through an underground military hospital. Thinking it sounded interesting, we waited for a tour guide to arrive. When she arrived, we were informed that the normal front entrance to the tour was closed and that we would have to enter through the exit. We followed our guide through the streets of the Castle District until we arrived at a huge iron gate across the entrance to what appeared to be an underground bunker of sorts. With a degree of trepidation, we followed our guide in (who locked the iron gate behind us…), and found ourselves in the underground network of tunnels, which is underneath Castle Hill. There are something like 10km of tunnels underneath the Hill, and amongst them a military hospital and a nuclear bunker (we didn’t get to see the bunker). The military hospital was built for use in WWII and was also used during the 1956 Revolution. It’s well worth the visit – the hospital has been preserved for the last 50 years and makes you feel like you’re walking back in time – the kitchen is even still authentic. The hospital is also full of wax dummies (of patients) to make it very realistic.

Deeper into the mountain are bare tunnels, which we got a glimpse of, along with indications of how the tunnels have been used through the ages – storage of food and people (living and dead), and a good hiding place.
Source
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Basílica del Voto Nacional in Quito, Ecuador.

Now this is your regular big cathedral. One thing special about this one is that you can walk anywhere you want.

Have a look at this picture:

You can climb through the roof, ceiling, and one of the big towers. You can poke your head out of pretty much every window. Only one of the two big towers are open, you can climb pretty much under the cross. This is over 7-8 stories high.
The scariest one is the left smaller tower, the staircase is basically a spiral ladder and few people have the balls to make it up there.

Last edited by fjord; Sep 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:31 pm

Underground Military Hospital
http://www.jerseywartunnels.com/ is relatively well known in certain circles but every time my American friends and colleagues hear that I was visiting Jersey they ask if I saw someone named Snookie. They have done a good job of updating it.

La Hougue Bie also has a tribute to the prisoners of war/slave labourers/residents who died during the occupation. The entire site is worth a visit, even if the actual hougue is relatively small.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Absolutely. Sunset photo from the Parador:

Roger that. I wonder how many thousands/millions of people transit NRT with a few hours to spare, not knowing what a treasure (ought to be a World Heritage Site IMO) is ten minutes from the airport.

Not to mention that Hawkes Bay is a pretty dynamite part of North Island.

]
Beautiful and lovely pictures..^
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:28 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
A lot of the scenery in Northern Ireland, particularly things like Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:55 pm

Beaver Island in Northern Michigan is much lesser known than Mackinac Island, however it's incredibly beautiful, and places are really affordable to rent right on Lake Michigan, although I'd recommend camping right on the beach!

Playing in the waters, walking up in the lighthouse is amazing. Also, since you are 30 miles out in Lake Michigan, the stars are pretty fantastic.

The rope swings at Charco Frio in Puerto Rico are incredible (and free)! The Natural Water slides in Luquillo in PR are also amazing.

The Giant Pig Roast in Guavate, PR on Sunday's was a blast. It's a local festival. The pork was amazing and the Lip Syncing Young Michael Jackson experience was very entertaining!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.