Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cakegirl
Pamukkale,Turkey-an interesting landscape ruined by the worst behaved tourist crowds I've encountered. I don't think it is well known in the US, but apparently is everywhere else.
Did you go during the peak season?

I went in late winter, which wasn't bad at all - weather-wise, or crowd-wise. Though, I don't recall too many guards trying to keep us at bay.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by cakegirl
Key West, FL I know many people who love it, who own vacation homes there and go frequently. I just don't get its appeal at all. I can't think of one good thing there.
I can think of plenty, and I just came back from my second trip to KW. All the weird of Florida kind of ends up there.

Amsterdam: yes, I think I just burned out on it. I'm kind of into art, but after my third visit to Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, and Stedelijk I think I'm done there. The FOAM museum of photography is always worth a visit as the exhibits change all the time, but there wasn't much else there that held my interest. Two visits to Anne Frank are enough for one lifetime and I've had enough of staircases with 75° inclines.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:30 am

Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Any of the Thai beaches, now wait, I'm off to Cha Am in 3 weeks time....
And Tijuana, not sure if that is a tourist place/attraction though?
Let me add Dreamworld, Bangkok.
Fort Lennox on Richelieu river, Quebec province, near USA boarder, not that many people visit there...

The bay of Halong, Vietnam. We were first boated to a stupid cave where thousands of tourist had to walk in line, we took a two days/one night trip with a night at Cat Ba. We left harbor at 10 and saw a few of the 2000 islands by 16.00 at last. When I mentioned/complained about this to our female your guide replied: not 2000 but 1835 islands. The only positive about this trip was the night at Cat Ba, excellent hotel, nice walk along a beautiful rock pedestrian sea walk.

Last edited by tartempion; Jun 29, 2014 at 5:44 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by BritinJapan
Could not agree less, the fact so many visit is a testement to its charm and beauty, go in the off season, stay the night and wander the streets when the day trippers have gone, eat in Ana Capri for wonderful reasonably prices food.

The Blue GROTTO takes a little time but well worth it.

It is touristy on this little island but get off the main drag and its wonderful, I do agree there are many other excellent islands and Amalfi close by but I find Capri a special place.
I have to agree some with the OP. It's not a total waste of time, but the cost and time to get here compared to the bus you can take from Sorrento to Salerno (with stops in Amalfi, Positano, etc) it's so much more worth it. That said, if you have time then it's of course a beautiful place and great for people watching.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by leonidas
Sadly you fell for the tourist trap that is Goa. I have gotten this feedback and hence never visited Goa. There is a million other destinations and experiences in India that will blow you away!
Most definitely.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
Lived in ATL for 2 years.

World of Coke - I'm a huge Coke fan and even I didn't like it.

GA Aquarium - I was bored in 10 minutes. It's probably much better if you have/take kids to it.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Plat., UA Plat., HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The Plymouth rock in Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA.

I believe that it's actually just a rock that was randomly chosen. A small granite open-aired structure was build around it. The rock was split at one point and then rejoined with concrete that is still visible.

Many people get there, look at it, and actually say, "That's it?".

Plymouth is a cool little town though.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If you're ever in SGN, I recommend avoiding the (in)famous Cu Chi Tunnels. NOTHING there is original or authentic. The tunnels that were supposedly dug by the VC to move without detection (and now you, the visitor, can go through) were recreated.

About the only thing real there is the destroyed American tank (a Sherman, I believe) that tourists are all too happy to treat as a jungle gym.

Bottom line, it's a 4th class amusement park designed to take tourist money. It's appalling, quite frankly.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:03 pm

Would strongly disagree on

The leaning tower of Pisa. The story that goes with it is great alone, it's a world famous landmark and the design is still unique. You can enjoy the leaning effect of the building from several streets not just from piazza dei miracoli where all the idiots are holding their hands up. Besides, so very amusing that everyone around you are acting like fools. Pisa has more to see than the Torre Pendente alone.

Manneke Pis. Unlike the little mermaid, you don't have to go very far to see it and it's free. It is right there one street aside from the grand market square. Yes the statues tiny, but unless your main aim for Brussels is to see this..

My own picks:

The spike in Dublin. Words fail me to say anything about it. Looks completely meaningless. The financial funding, the long delay and what it is supposed to replace in the first place is more interesting though

The spectacles bridge. Never understood why Nagasaki promotes this as one of it's biggest attractions. The reflection in the water is supposed to make the bridge look like a pair of glasses.

Mount Lofty in Adelaide. Has to be one of the worst vistas I have ever seen from a viewpoint, you do not have the sensation for a second standing on top of a mountain.

I don't think Gdansk is disappointing and there is so much to see in this area, but the only mistake I made during that visit was to spend time at a Prussian fortress ruins a bit out of the city. It was quite literally a ruins, unmaintained bunch of bricks covered in high grass and weed surrounded by dull empty Polish countryside.

The Titanic Experience, Belfast. No genuine artefacts there, just information on displays, cards and pictures and very expensive admission about 15 quid. Also building resembles more of some sort of giant futuristic X-box console to me. Heard the building structure has cost a few million GBP and now they want to demand ROI by day robbing every visitor blind. Tripadvisor has awarded them the travelers choice badge 2017, unbelievable.

Alcatraz. I absolutely don't understand it's popularity. Once you get on the island it is packed with tourists to the brim for something that isn't there, for just a bunch of cell blocks and birds. If I can recall correctly you could only buy pet water bottles for a dollar and tacky souvenirs like a brass prison door key around ten dollars. I had no idea how quickly to leave and the only thing I liked was the big Alcatraz logo. Striking that there are almost no negative experiences with Alcatraz, the most complaints you can find are about.. how soon the tickets are sold out

Scotland has tons of natural beauty. Isle of Skye, Isle of Mull, Cairngorms, Glenn Afric, Ullapool etc etc why anyone would still go visit Loch Ness instead is beyond me. I have seen it several times when I was on the bus and witnessed most tourists get off at this lake.

Speaking of lakes, Bowness on Windermere was pretty dreadful. Not a great lake by any means and the nearby Derwent water lake is much nicer. Bowness is full with tourists, even a few weeks/month after summer season. The traffic is horrible, the local bus is insanely expensive. I have spend 30 quid in total for a few rides. The locals were rude too..

The north cape (Nordkapp) is quite a hassle to get to. It is on a island mageroya which you cannot access without paying toll ), you know, in totally not cheap Norway. (about 15 gbp for a car and then 20 gbp per person to enter! ~heard the entire plateau is overtaken by a hotel chain that needs to make money out of it. Once there you are depending on absolute clear weather for the entire night or else you cannot see what you are after. A glowing orb that stays halfway in the sky then starts rising again..that's all. If you want to experience midnight sun, you could basically do it anywhere in northern scandinavia. Besides it is not even the most northern point in Norway.

From the most northern point of Europe to the most western. Cabo the Roca. The cliffs aren't really that spectacular unless you have never seen cliffs in your entire life and it is next to impossible to get a very good view on them. You cannot wander off far away and there is actually a very tragic story of a Polish family that died when they fell off while making selfies. There is so much to see and do in Lisbon for months, it is not really worth it to go there just to say you have been to the most western point of mainland Europe.

Not precisely a tourist destiantion but a could have been: Hiiumaa island, Estonia. Absolutely nothing special to see there besides a tower, light houses and the same birches over and over. One of the most boring landscapes I have ever seen. Had someone convince me only a few days before my plans to travel Hiiumaa instead of Saaremaa. The latter is a quite popular island in Estonia. They told me that Hiiumaa was wilder and raw whereas Saaremaa was spoilt by tourism. I suppose they meant that sarcastically.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Beale St. Memphis - As one of the few party and music streets I had heard about growing up (Bourbon St. being the other) I was expecting more than 2 blocks of bars anchored by a pretty obvious Pat O'Brien's rip-off. Still had fun there, just was expecting ... more.

Mannekin Pis - As stated plenty of times.

New Orleans vs. Las Vegas ends up as a common discussion on 'where should I go' boards due to them both being sin city destinations with drinking allowed on the street and other vices available, but the comparison stops there. If you visit one and like it, visiting the other is going to take some getting used to as is not going to be remotely the same experience (making the other overrated for a while, if not forever).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
It may very well be just the lack of "tourist attractions" in Bahrain, but I'll add the Tree of Life to this list. Complete waste of time. Better to stay in Manama and enjoy the brunches ("Frunches").
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM
Tallin during the day from mid-May to late September (cruise ship season). It’s awful. They keep expanding the port to accommodate more and more passengers. At times it’s more crowded in this wonderful town than Disneyland on a Saturday in June after school lets out. Tallin is not overrated but the crowding can totally ruin the experience. Go when there are fewer ships in port or plan to stay a few days and do day/half-day trips out when passengers are off the ships and enjoy Tallin after they’ve scurried back on board in time for dinner. Here is the 2018 schedule (the pattern will be about the same in 2019 and beyond): Tallinn cruise port schedule 2018 | Crew Center. Note that the Viking ships carry 928 passengers while others, like the RC Serenade of the Seas carry closer to 2500.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dalehill
Tallin during the day from mid-May to late September (cruise ship season). It’s awful. They keep expanding the port to accommodate more and more passengers. At times it’s more crowded in this wonderful town than Disneyland on a Saturday in June after school lets out. Tallin is not overrated but the crowding can totally ruin the experience. Go when there are fewer ships in port or plan to stay a few days and do day/half-day trips out when passengers are off the ships and enjoy Tallin after they’ve scurried back on board in time for dinner. Here is the 2018 schedule (the pattern will be about the same in 2019 and beyond): Tallinn cruise port schedule 2018 Crew Center. Note that the Viking ships carry 928 passengers while others, like the RC Serenade of the Seas carry closer to 2500.
You are definitely right about Tallin. It was a sleepy backwater whose old town was lovingly restored and is now smothered by summer cruise-based tourism. I did spend a night at the Hilton, though, which was certainly pleasant enough. To escape the crowds, we also rented a car to see some of the countryside on the north coast and spent a night at a local manor home. Interesting enough, but not must see. Spend your time in St. Petersburg, and limit your time in Estonia.

For overrated landmarks, I'd probably vote for the Sydney Opera House. It's so freakin' famous, it's got to be a great building, right? Nope, it's a pretty useless building with little to do, and looks better the further away from it that you are. Of course, it confirms my general theory about sights in Australia: they're graded on a curve. Ayer's Rock (Uluru)? Good, but if it were in the American southwest, nobody would much care. Even Australians are overrated. I like them, they're good people, but on average they're about as interesting as Midwest suburban dwellers in the USA (psst, Australia IS a backwater). If you're expecting Crocodile Dundee, prepare to be very underwhelmed. Everyone thinking of going to Australia should probably head to South Africa instead. Unless you're going there to reside permanently, in which case Australia is definitely the better choice (everyday life can be very similar to the USA).

Worldwide, though, I'd have to say Disney World is the most overrated place. Not that you can't have a good time there; you definitely can, especially if you take your kids. But you have to work very hard at planning your trip, you have to know the tricks (don't go without free Disney dining, and plan to stay a week) and you still have to accept over-crowding. Most people spend way too much for a poor experience. But most still like it; which is kind of a parable for this thread (everything is in the eye of the beholder).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by CoolMike
The Plymouth rock in Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA.

I believe that it's actually just a rock that was randomly chosen. A small granite open-aired structure was build around it. The rock was split at one point and then rejoined with concrete that is still visible.

Many people get there, look at it, and actually say, "That's it?".

Plymouth is a cool little town though.
First time I saw it, there was graffiti all over it too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.