Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:53 pm

I consider something over or underrated to how I "pre-rated" the attraction prior to going there (reading, word of mouth etc.).

Prior to going to New Orleans, I hadn't heard a bad thing about it- therefore I had reasonable or high expectations. I did not like it very much, thus disappointed = overrated!

Manekipiss, I had heard and read repeatedly prior that it was what this thread has been saying about it. Nothing to see, maybe just a checkmark on the things in life you have seen in your life. I ranked that neither over or underrated.

Regarding the Alamo comments previously - I dont think it matters whether it has history or not - it could still be overrated. The fact of the matter is that everything "real" (ex- disneylands of the world) has history, or culture, thus must be "interesting" to a degree, but it could still be overrated.

Re: Mona Lisa. What I did find interesting was the crowd of people - and that made for a good picture... and to be honest, I would prefer that many of them just run in and out to see that painting - so there is less people for the others!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: Air Canada - SuperElite; Hilton Honors Diamond VIP; Hertz 5 Star; AirMiles Gold; Avis Preferred;
Originally Posted by grlmopz
I've really enjoyed most of the places I've been, including Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Two places, however, that I thought were awful, awful places were:

1. Casablanca. Awful, dirty, unfriendly city. Several people screamed obscenities at us on the street. Even the Hassan II mosque -- the largest in the world -- wasn't really that great. Worst place I've been by a large margin.

2. Nassau, Bahamas. What a miserable, dilapidated town.
I agree with you on Casablanca although I visited it in 1984. Sounds like it hasn't changed one iota. Coming in on the train from Rabat my impressions were:...hundreds of homeless people camped along the train tracks, train station was dirty and full of annoying flies, outside of the train station was full of beggars, dirty, flies. rude pedestrians. Loved Marakech, hated Casablanca.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:27 am

Stonehenge must be near the top in terms of mismatch between expectation and reality. It was marginally more interesting in the days when you could go right up to the stones; now you can't even do that. Of course it's extraordinary that it was built in the first place, but still...

Capri in the Bay of Naples: yes, it's a lovely island with some good views and some nice enough scenery, some attractive houses and gardens, a bit of interesting history – but I can't understand why it's (apparently) one of the "top ten tourist destinations in the world".

The Mannekin Pis (the statue of the boy urinating) in Brussels. (At least the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen warns you in its name that it's going to be little!)
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Austin, TX. I've lived there for over 20 years, still don't get the hype that tourists say about Austin.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
The exhibits were indeed rubbish, however, the show with the acrobats flying around on wires was awesome.
I don't recall seeing that show...might have just missed it. Was it an everyday thing?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ajax
Overrated? Japan. The whole country. Boring, expensive, and cramped. I have friends who LOVE everything to do with Japan and I just cannot see why.
Japan is a nation, not a tourist attraction.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
I don't recall seeing that show...might have just missed it. Was it an everyday thing?
Not sure how long it ran, but it looks like the website is still up.

http://wwp.millennium-dome.com/dome/show/index.htm
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Christopher
Stonehenge must be near the top in terms of mismatch between expectation and reality. It was marginally more interesting in the days when you could go right up to the stones; now you can't even do that.
Yes you can if you do an out of hours tour - details are on the English Heritage website
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
From memory, the acrobats were part of the Winter Wonderland fun fair which ran for a few months at the end of 2003.

The dome was a complete joke as a tourist attraction and should never have been built with public money, however it supposedly makes a lot of money now as a concert venue so some good has eventually come out of it.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I find it amazing that the reviews on Tripadvisor average out to 4.5 out of 5 for Meramec Cavern, a.k.a America's Cave in Missouri. Meramec cavern has an excellent history including being a hidding spot for the outlaw Jesse James. But upon arriving, the place was tourist kitch. The main entrance was turned into a ballroom complete with disco ball. The cave was nice, but nothing special and no ability to get off the tourist trail and really explore the cave. At the end, you get to sit and watch a SUPER CAMPY light show while "God Bless America" plays, ending with the American Flag being shown in lights on the side of the cave wall. Not at all the day of cave adventure I was hoping for.

I was underwhelmed by Stonehenge and Palace of Versailles as well, though enjoyed my day visits to both well enough because of the saving graces of Salisbury and the gardens at Versailles respectively.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Great Wall in Badaling, made me think of Disneyland...
To each his own, but I am heading to the Great Wall for an 8th time in April. It is one of my top 10 travel experiences (along with Angkor Wat and Machu Picchu) in my life. Few things can beat imagining there is a Mongol attack on the wall and then scaring some unsuspecting tourist.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Road to Hana in Maui. Just not that great.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flightjunk
Brussels in general is overrated!
Is it rated at all as a tourist destination? I don't really think it is....in fact quite the opposite.
Which is probably why my wife and I found it very enjoyable on our first visit.....much better than we expected it to be. Give me Brussels any day before Paris I say.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:32 am

re: Statue of Liberty

Visited in 2007, and not sure if I had any expectations as a first time visitor for the whole expereience. I don't think its really overrated, and should be visited once if you enjoy history, and what the statue stands for.

Now, the drawback, and I don't know if it's changed since my visit, is the security theater to get in. We went through security to board the ferry to the statue (relitivly efficiant), and I had to wait again in a very very slow security line to enter the pedestal (wait of an hour or so in a not really long line). The security wait made me feel rushed after the wait because I was the only one of our group that wanted to go in at the time.

My opinion: if you have the time to spare for waiting on security, then going into the statue might be worth your time if you haven't been before. Otherwise, either just visit the island, or look accross from Manhattan. Note; did not go to Ellis Island, but there was a big tent out front, so security was most likely just as bad.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Napier, New Zealand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.