Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:39 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Originally Posted by rjw242
Hollywood Walk of Fame. Seriously, people go out of their way to see this?
Word. Big disappointment.

Luckily, we did not go out of our way. We were more like; Is THIS the Walk of Fame? Nooo, it can't be it. This has to be some other star-in-street-thing. No wait, this is the Holllywood Walk of Fame".
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge, TN not Branson, MO...
Pigeon Forge and Branson are but a short distance from each other. I lump them both into the same pile of overrated "stuff".
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Pigeon Forge and Branson are but a short distance from each other. I lump them both into the same pile of overrated "stuff".

665 mi isn't a short distance unless you have access to a wormhole.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:36 pm
Suspended

I completely agree with RustyC…some attractions are made to be well…tourist attractions. The Merlion is highly overrated, as is the Brussels one!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
I know I'm repeating many of the sites listed above, but:

-Mannekin Pis is just silly, as is that ridiculous clock in Prague.
-Fisherman's Wharf in SF- why? And speaking of SF, although it's not technically a Tourist Attraction, why is there a 90 minute wait at The Cheesecake Factory on a Saturday night?
-The Empire State Building.
-The Uffizi Gallery because when we were there, about 1/3 of the galleries were "Closed for Renovation" or some such reason. Actually, Florence in general was pretty blah.
-Any Torture Museum in Europe.
-Futuroscope is the future as conceived by the past, circa 1971, although I do admit that my kids enjoyed it. Worse than Disney, which makes this list too.
-The entire city of Philadelphia.
-Musee de l'Armee in Paris, although that might have been because it depressed me to think that so much of history is predicated on war.
-The Mona Lisa, which is really a pretty good painting, but I can't figure out why it's the most famous painting in the world.
-I also don't get the appeal of New Orleans, especially given its 107% humidity (although I hope for its rebound).
-Ditto on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and any of those star house tours.
-The Guinness Brewery tour in Dublin. For only 15 Euros, you can give yourself a tour and drink a pint of Guinness. Actually, much of Dublin was pretty blah too (especially the aforementioned Temple Bar).
-South Beach, Miami. Oh wait, no- I DO get that one
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
665 mi isn't a short distance unless you have access to a wormhole.
Duh. You're right, of course, I was thinking "Gatlinburg" and typing "Branson". Having (unfortunately) been through both, they both remind me of each other.

Duly chastised.
hangs head and skulks away
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Duly chastised.
no worries...we all have brain farts...it's the fast food to/from these tourist traps.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:50 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom
....Florence in general was pretty blah.
This thread has officially jumped the shark.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jailer
Agreed!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jailer
That reminds me. Seaworld is quite overrated.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:04 pm

i thought little mermaid was neat......and the rest of copenhagen......i drove from sweden for the night.....cool downtown and resturants.....everthing vary close togather in copenhagen....well the worst waiste of time to see a place is about any big city that is hard to get about in....
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I have not been to every tourist attraction in this small world, and for that, I cannot name one place that I think is overrated. Let me visit all of them at least once and then I will decide

p.s the fact that I get to travel all over is already a blessing, doubt I will call any place overrated
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I think you're either visiting Hawaii at the same time each year and/or you aren't getting off the beaten path much. I'm not sure how you can say that "the rest of the time is simply not terribly interesting". Have you been to all of the islands?
i agree hawaii is overrated.....spain mallorca is worth the journey from calif to have nice sight seeing
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hco
Word. Big disappointment.

Luckily, we did not go out of our way. We were more like; Is THIS the Walk of Fame? Nooo, it can't be it. This has to be some other star-in-street-thing. No wait, this is the Holllywood Walk of Fame".
Did this walk too.. Was it supposed to be special or something?

I mean, I was thinking there would be a movie star on staff on the street or something.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: Oneworld
Palm Springs, CA

More of a regional Riddle perhaps but I absolutely don't get the allure of palm springs. I always hear about the restaurants and resorts. Okay but it's usually very hot to which the quick reply is that you hang out by the pool??

The kicker for me is that most who go spend up to three hours in a car driving AWAY from perfect weather to get there.

Unless your into brat pack nostalgia architecture, fogedaboutit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.