Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:10 pm

on the flip side, just stepped outside my door and saw the final lift-off of the shuttle discovery, so happy that all those tourist that battled traffic today to get to the space coast got to see it, clear beautiful day and great launch. Blessings to the crew.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by rdg_dc
can't agree more that the following are just awful

stonehenge
nassau, bahamas
temple bar in dublin
pisa
I'm with you for the first three, but I loved Pisa. Sure, the town is crappy. Really crappy. But I especially loved the tower. As a physicist, I found it cool to stand where Galileo (anecdotally?) stood when he dropped weights showing the rate at which objects fall is independent of their mass.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The Merlion in Singapore, that statue in Copenhagen and the one in Brussels all just go to show that *something* has to occupy the niche of being the iconic tourist attraction. Prolly the best thing they can do is try to create something else and try to divert attention there. Sure, u may end up with, say, a Space Needle (and Brussels arguably already has that with the Atomium), but if you can get it to where mainly locals sneer at it and visitors at least feel they've seen something unique (if tacky), you've made progress.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by travellingblade
Good choice - I expected to learn some interesting facts and maybe even see some beer being brewed but in reality it is not at all informative and there are just a few dull exhibits to look at. The only redeeming feature is that it is probably cheaper to buy a ticket and go straight to the bar and claim your "free" beer than pay the prices charged in bars in Amsterdam these days.
It was better back in the days when they did guided tours.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:00 am
Suspended

I completely agree with RustyC…some attractions are made to be well…tourist attractions. The Merlion is highly overrated, as is the Brussels one!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Not quite a tourist attraction, but ferris wheels have become dull and common. At one time they were cool, but now every other city you visit has one.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
The only one that I have not seen listed is Galveston, Tx.

It has been several years since I was last there (2006). This city seemed just like a big tourist trap. Very similar to Key West and New Orleans.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
I also will add votes for Mannekin Pis and all of Singapore.
99% of Singapore. It has one unique item, the Night Zoo, if you are into such things it is the only one in the world. However not worth a trip to SIN by itself. The rest of SIN ie Orchard Road is nothing but anytown America shopping mall, same items, same stores, same prices, except with clean and safe streets.

It was explained to me that folks from surrounding countries who are suckered by the Madison Ave. notion of paying for overpriced designer goods fly to SIN to shop. Due to their strict enforcement of copyright laws the designer goods sold there are real not imitations. So if you insist on paying $10K for a real Rolex go to SIN instead of Bangkok "where low overhead means we can sell you one that looks just like it for $50." US pax to SIN transferring at MSP just skip gettng on the plane to NRT and go to the Mall of America. All the same crap you can buy in Singapore is right there.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
99% of Singapore. It has one unique item, the Night Zoo, if you are into such things it is the only one in the world. However not worth a trip to SIN by itself. The rest of SIN ie Orchard Road is nothing but anytown America shopping mall, same items, same stores, same prices, except with clean and safe streets.
Clean and safe streets is not something to be sneezed at.

I agree that Singapore is not as interesting nor as colourful as some of the neighbouring places. On the other hand, I do enjoy stopping over there on the way between Europe and Australia/New Zealand. It's clean, safe, well organised and pleasant, and unexpected things don't happen. This is all particularly appealing if you just want to relax.

The only drawback is the heat and (especially) the humidity...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
...and my #1 worst site -- the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas
Yep. You get there and see that it's nothing more than a place for local teens to spray-paint freely without getting busted for vandalism. I only drove 4 miles out of my way, and still felt cheated. I'd hate to think of people who traveled to Amarillo specifically to see that.

It's not even the most amusing tourist attraction in Amarillo - the Big Texan Steak House and the fake Ozymandias statue both have a higher entertainment value.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
By the time I got to Hawaii - after hearing my how life how it's amazing, spectacular, blah blah blah - I kept thinking, yea it's nice here, but I've seen better. Had I gone 10 years earlier I probably would have thought differently.
Where in Hawaii did you go? There's some really interesting sights on the Big Island. I didn't think all that much of Oahu at all, unless you're a Pearl Harbor fan.

joe
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:49 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
If you'd expand that to be "all of Branson", I would completely agree. Total waste of money, excessively crowded, and a different class of tourist than I usually hang out with.
Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge, TN not Branson, MO...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by travellingblade
1. The Astronomical Clock in Prague - I'm not denying that the clock itself is a true work of art but all the locals told us we must go and see the 'spectacle' of it chiming on the hour. So we duly queued up with hundreds of other tourists to see....... a couple of tiny figures high up move around in a jerky fashion. And that was it - a spectacle it isn't.
Disagree. It helps if you read up on it before going to see it. Pretty amazing that it has been in operation since the 1400's. The figures are part of the whole art of the clock and are what help to make it unique.

Add to the list:
Anything titled "World's Largest [notable item]."

Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo. The cars have been vandalized and spraypainted beyond recognition.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:36 am

International: Mannekin Pis for me.
Domestic: Durant, OK "World's Largest Peanut"

What? You've never heard of the thriving metropolis of Durant? Home of the SOSU Savage Storm?

Despite my having been to Durant 25-30 times, I never saw their "claim to fame" until returning for a funeral last year. How could I miss such an honor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.