Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:18 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Plymouth Rock and South Beach are over rated. But at least you can see it for free and not pay the price of the most over rated - DISNEY!!!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:25 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:59 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by Dasia
Magnetic Hill in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. Not only have they made it difficult to access--one would think it was Stonehenge--but you leave feeling like a moron for wasting $5.00 for the "experience."
I went to the one in Moncton as a kid. I was 10, but was impressed, though I think my parents were less impressed.

Seeing as you are in Toronto, you can experience the same for free just to the West in Burlington. Up King Road, north of the 403, there is a magnetic hill. Here's details - Burlington's magnetic hill
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Gibraltar.

Well, maybe it was better than Calgary.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Can't believe it took to #253 to come up with my first choice, PLYMOUTH ROCK!
I also will add votes for Mannekin Pis and all of Singapore. 1/2 vote for Key West - glad I went once but feel no need to go back. I will add:

Denver Mint
Hofbrauhaus, Munich

On the other hand, I loved Mt. Rushmore and Niagara Falls. Got a kick out of Wall Drug (sure it's cheesy, that's the point). I've only been to one Mystery Spot (in South Dakota) but thought it was amazing. And can't believe anyone would put the Statue of Liberty or Grand Canyon on this list.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rock City ("Atop Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga Tennessee"). But I loved it.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Mannekin Pis -- Brussels
Blarney Stone -- Ireland

and my #1 worst site -- the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas

Last edited by iamthehpt; Feb 23, 2011 at 6:27 pm Reason: forgetfulness
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I have a bit of a unique one: the Eiffel Tower.

Now, hear me out. I'm not talking about seeing the Tower. It's a marvel and you can see it from many parts of Paris. From the ground it is truly impressive.

I'm talking about waiting in line to go *up* in the Tower. Because Paris is fairly flat the view just is not all that impressive. Paris is much more attractive on the ground, IMHO.

When I was living in Paris I tried to dissuade visitors from waiting in line and going up. They never listened.

Flame away.
Why would you wait in line when you can take the stairs? No cost, no wait, and a much more interesting way to see the tower.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, MP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The "Jungle Tour" in Puerto Vallarta where they take you to the place where they shot The Predator......nothing but a tourist trap - they take you to their uncle's gift shop and then feed you lunch at a place that has no electricity. Needless to say - Montezuma Ruled!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Ooohhh... Hofbrau Haus. I forgot about that. Add votes from me for that one (vote once, vote often).
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Ooohhh... Hofbrau Haus. I forgot about that. Add votes from me for that one (vote once, vote often).
+2, +2 to Oktoberfest, and because I didn't see it here but originally voiced my vote at the age of 3, I nominate Neuschwanstein castle. (The nearby Linderhof however I highly recommend)
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rdg_dc
the heineken brewery in amsterdam
Good choice - I expected to learn some interesting facts and maybe even see some beer being brewed but in reality it is not at all informative and there are just a few dull exhibits to look at. The only redeeming feature is that it is probably cheaper to buy a ticket and go straight to the bar and claim your "free" beer than pay the prices charged in bars in Amsterdam these days.

The Carlsberg museum in Copenhagen is much better.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Speaking of breweries. A tour of Belize off a cruise ship included a stop at the only brewery in Belize. I thought well this might be interesting until I began asking questions during the tour. It seems the all of the equipment, staff in charge, and ingredients - except for sugar - were all imported. My next question as to what was the point was met with a confused look.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:53 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Berlin. Just didn't get the hype.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:04 pm

so happy that most of these are "imo" I loved Oktoberfest, Temple Bar, Hofbrau Haus and Rushmore from the road only. It was Sturgis week and the crowds were horrible. Key West is one of our favorite places but we are Navy and get to go where the locals don't. It is a state of mind more than anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.