Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
No, I am not.
I think what you mean to say is there is nothing to do there that *you* enjoy. For instance, I love Hawaii because there are lots of things for me to do there that I enjoy. I enjoy hiking the Waimea Canyon, I like hiking the Na Poli coast, I like running inland with views of the ocean, I like eating freshly caught tuna, I like eating pulau pork, and so forth.

So you are undoubtedly wrong that there is nothing to do in Hawaii; though you may be right to say that you don't enjoy any of the activities that Hawaii presents.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by crabbing
in LA, there is absolutely no reason to go to roscoe's, the hollywoodland sign is the least interesting part of griffith park
If you're talking about Roscoe's Chicken 'n' Waffles, I seriously beg to differ. Chicken... and waffles! On the same plate!

I've heard hiking to the Hollywood sign is also quite fun, albeit illegal.

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Because I personally think Texas is a joke and should probably seceded from the Union. But I don't want to send this thread to /PR.
Nice. Lobbing out an obviously inflammatory statement and then crouching behind the "... but let's not get all PR here" defense.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Nice. Lobbing out an obviously inflammatory statement and then crouching behind the "... but let's not get all PR here" defense.
If you want to talk about why Texas is a joke, start a thread in the /PR. @:-) Until then, let's keep this discussion relegated to Texas' overrated tourist attractions.

I'll add in another: The San Antonio Riverwalk. Give me a break.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by MSchott
We don't do "palaces" for those in power in the US. Palaces were built for royalty and we don't consider our President to be royalty. Also, palaces tend to be built to excess while the White House is built for function.

It's the residence and offices of the most powerful politician in the world and his wife.
Have you been to Oslo? Perfect example of a functional palace, built into everyday life, but which is pretty impressive in its own way.

Anyway, I think I've managed to avoid over-rated tourist attractions, or I've blanked them from my mind. Jorvik Museum in York - it's expensive, but it's actually very small. What is there is interesting, but it seems to be over very quickly and so goes into the 'over-priced' category for me.

Oh, the friendliness of the Balinese people. Everyone went on about it, I thought it was much an attitude assumed to extract money from the tourists than something that was genuine in most interactions I had with the Balinese.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
New Orleans.

Dank, with a slight but pervasive whiff of sewer. Many street musicians and bar acts of marginal talent. Terrible corruption and poverty. Beaucoup opportunities to be separated from your cash for limited returns.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MSchott
I agree The Alamo is not a breathtaking place to go but is that what makes for a great tourist attraction? It's the history not the spectacle and to a large majority of Texan's the Alamo epitomizes the independent spirit of the state.
I've always thought the San Jacinto Monument near Houston is far more interesting: the grounds are very well-kept and placid; the museum exhibits aren't overdone, yet quite informative even to those already familiar with TX history; the view from the top of the monument delivers far more than one would expect; and there's lots to do there that is uncommercial and self-paced.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
New Orleans.

Dank, with a slight but pervasive whiff of sewer. Many street musicians and bar acts of marginal talent. Terrible corruption and poverty. Beaucoup opportunities to be separated from your cash for limited returns.
+1
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
We are straying far away from the original topic, which is "Most overrated tourist attractions in the world." I've never heard of anyone praising Hawaii for its art museums, or Times Square for its restaurants, or New Orleans for its cleanliness, so Hawaii's pallid art scene, Times Square's chain restaurants, and New Orleans' squalor are irrelevant to the thread, however true they may be.

Now, if someone were to argue that Hawaii's natural beauty is overstated, that Times Square is not especially glitzy, or that New Orleans was not much of a party town, that would be in the spirit of the thread.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by choster
We are straying far away from the original topic, which is "Most overrated tourist attractions in the world." I've never heard of anyone praising Hawaii for its art museums, or Times Square for its restaurants, or New Orleans for its cleanliness, so Hawaii's pallid art scene, Times Square's chain restaurants, and New Orleans' squalor are irrelevant to the thread, however true they may be.
^

"Yosemite sucks, you can't even get a decent brioche there."
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:29 am

LOL ^
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:48 am

I don't mind so much the roadside attractions -- they're really just a diversion while you're on your way somewhere else. You'd be nuts to make a special trip to Wall, SD just to see Wall Drug.

One thing I do expect is that they be relatively cheap to correspond to the small-time experience. The Thing on I-10 in southern Arizona is only a buck. Some (like Wall Drug) are free, apart from whatever merchandise/snacks you choose to buy.

On the other hand, Meteor Crater off I-40 is insanely expensive -- $15 a head for what's at most an hour visit.

For other underwhelming attractions, I didn't really care for the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta. It's not even a factory tour. The only interesting part was the tasting room with international flavors not sold in the US.

I agree the Mona Lisa is overrated. What's crazy are the hit-and-run tours. They just see the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo, then it's off to the next stop. Cause, y'know, there's nothing else to see at the Louvre.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:53 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco immediately comes to mind.
Also agree with others about Bourbon Street in New Orleans
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Also of Dubious Infamy!

Hands down, way over-rated!

http://www.americanbanjomuseum.com/

Be sure to go there after here:

http://www.asasoftball.com/hall_of_fame/index.asp

And here:

http://nationalcowboymuseum.org/

The last is actually quite nice, but be sure to "git yer redneck on" before going.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^

Oh you joke, but the number of places I have read reviews that go along the lines of 'The hotel is (foreign country) was real nice, but they didn't have a proper American breakfast just funny foreign stuff' is getting higher and higher!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:11 pm

^

Truth be told, the United States sucks, because you can't get a decent cup of coffee here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.