Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are there any Airlines that refund the taxes and fees of unused tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

I kind of understand and accept that airlines can't return the sales tax that were collected on the ticket. But why can't they return all the other taxes and fees?

Item by item some might make sense, but, for example, what happens to the Airport improvement or Entrance fees that many airports and countries charge? Do they collect that from the airlines even if the person does not end up flying? If they don't, then does that mean that the Airlines are pocketing it?

I want my refunds, and I would most probably take that into consideration if there were any that did return some of the taxes and fees.

PS: To the best of my knowledge, Airlines don't even let you notify them before the flight to ask that that portion of the cost be returned. This would be very pertinent for cheap fares that have very high taxes and fees, which is not at all uncommon.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
LH did that a number of times. Not sure if that's part of German/European law though.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
It is very prevalent in Europe at least. Even Ryanair does it. Which suggests it may be legislation.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: IHG RA, BAEC Gold, BW Diamond
BA

BA do consistently, at least in my experience as an Exec Club Member.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JRGAY
BA do consistently, at least in my experience as an Exec Club Member.
Yes, I had a BA flight cancelled in December due to the "Snow Event" at LHR. BA paid me back every penny within a week. I was very impressed.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:47 pm

It is an IATA rule - every airline has to return all taxes paid on an unused ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mara1983
It is an IATA rule - every airline has to return all taxes paid on an unused ticket.
Are northamerican airlines bound by this? Would you have a link to the info please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.