Question Where should I go?

Through various deals and stuff I have amassed:

- 74,000 spg points
- 75,000 AAdvantage miles
- 2 free nights at any hyatt
- Hyatt Diamond status
- SPG gold status
- parents who will take our kids for a week or so in August

So my wife and I want to use all the stuff above to take a ~week-long vacation without our kids in mid-to-late August. We like the beach, old cities, relaxation and quiet, interesting plantlife/wildlife. We're not really into nightlife, shopping, powersports, etc. Also we don't want to spend all our time on a plane getting to wherever we're going. We'd likely be flying out of Chicago.

Any ideas/suggestions on locations, hotels?

Last edited by MelloChatt; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm Reason: added location
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
It would help to know where you're located since you don't want to spend a lot of time on the plane. August is a peak travel time, so you might want to secure your flights ASAP or be prepared to pay more in miles or cash for them.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Where I'm at

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
It would help to know where you're located since you don't want to spend a lot of time on the plane. August is a peak travel time, so you might want to secure your flights ASAP or be prepared to pay more in miles or cash for them.
I'd likely be flying out of Chicago.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Maine.

What about Maine?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Maine is nice, but

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
What about Maine?
The only SPG hotel there is in an airport.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:04 pm

Perhaps Vancouver? Lovely climate in August. Good Hyatt and Westin properties. You can take a couple of day trips to Victoria and Whistler to see the scenery, and Vancouver has a decent beach for a city as well. Flights should be pretty easy out of Chicago.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

vancouver

Originally Posted by nba1017
Perhaps Vancouver? Lovely climate in August. Good Hyatt and Westin properties. You can take a couple of day trips to Victoria and Whistler to see the scenery, and Vancouver has a decent beach for a city as well. Flights should be pretty easy out of Chicago.
Thanks, I didn't know Vancouver had a beach. I'll add it to the list of places to investigate.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Charleston, SC has everything you list. The only drawback is it is very hot in August.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by MelloChatt
Thanks, I didn't know Vancouver had a beach. I'll add it to the list of places to investigate.
It's definitely not a resort style beach with fruity cocktails and mega resorts, but it is indeed sand and water, and there are plenty of people surfing and swimming (someone correct me please if I'm totally off the mark here). Similar to the north shore beach in Chicago.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
Given your location I would actually suggest looking at Northern Europe. How about Ireland? Maybe Brussels? Amsterdam? I don't know what you define as taking too long to get to, but at least ORD has direct flights to many of those countries.

Another idea, given the month, how about Alaska?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Charleston

Originally Posted by onthego15
Charleston, SC has everything you list. The only drawback is it is very hot in August.

Yes, I like Charleston. We stayed there before on the beaches on the outskirts of town and then would drive in to see the old city. Beautiful place. However we've been there before so we'll likely go elsewhere.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Poster

N Europe

Originally Posted by dagowolf
Given your location I would actually suggest looking at Northern Europe. How about Ireland? Maybe Brussels? Amsterdam? I don't know what you define as taking too long to get to, but at least ORD has direct flights to many of those countries.

Another idea, given the month, how about Alaska?
I had thought Europe would be too busy in August, but maybe most of the activity is on the Mediterranean? Are the beaches in the north warm enough this time of year?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MelloChatt
I had thought Europe would be too busy in August, but maybe most of the activity is on the Mediterranean? Are the beaches in the north warm enough this time of year?
That depends on your definition of warm really. I swam in Cascade Mt lakes when I was little and now swim in Colorado Front Range lakes, so warm is a relative thing.

If warm however is your goal, how about the Caribbean? There are some nice looking Starwood properties down there and American is one of the better airlines in terms of service down there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.