Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tripadvisor is no longer reliable

Tripadvisor is no longer reliable

Old Nov 19, 14, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Here is an interesting article about a couple charge 100 GBP for posting a negative TripAdvisor hotel review ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ne-review.html

Hopefully the hotel will be criminally prosecuted for this.
Oh, I'm sure they'll get plenty of bad reviews now

edit: Actually, they do already have. Rougly 60% are terrible, out of 250 or so..

http://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Revi...e_England.html
Old Nov 19, 14, 6:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Oh, I'm sure they'll get plenty of bad reviews now

edit: Actually, they do already have. Rougly 60% are terrible, out of 250 or so..

http://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Revi...e_England.html
Regardless of the ratio of +/- reviews, this is a terribly coercive action on the hotel's part.

Hopefully the British authorities that are supposed to protect consumers will get involved.
Old Dec 23, 14, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like Italy thinks TA is no longer reliable:

TripAdvisor Fined $610,000 in Italy for Failing to Prevent Fake Reviews
Old Dec 23, 14, 11:26 am

I really don't believe any reviews I read on the Internet. Just too many spammers and people trying to game the system. Also many of the terrible/negative reviews I read about are complaining about things that really wouldn't bother me as much. Some people seem to get so whipped up about minor things. Many of my hotel stays are short so I can pretty much get through any thing for a couple of nights. Location and price are my two most important factor in determining if I am going to book somewhere.
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
Also many of the terrible/negative reviews I read about are complaining about things that really wouldn't bother me as much. Some people seem to get so whipped up about minor things.
I also read many reviews that guests get terribly upset about little things, but then I realize that the author is probably overstressed, underpaid or overworked and getting into serious credit card debt for this once a year family vacation. It's not the same when you get a vacation for little out of pocket using miles and points and minutae is trivial.

I have witnessed too many times during check in that the family next to me spent a fortune on Expedia and gets a basic room, and I use points and get an upgrade.
Old Dec 24, 14, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
I don't think it's too hard to tell a real review from a fake one. Or at least, to tell reviews that have the indicia of reality, and then just ignore the other ones.

Indicia of reality? To me, likely real reviews are not too excited one way ("BEST PLACE EVER!!!!") or the other ("HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HOTEL IN EVERY DETAIL!!"). They are generally balanced. They don't HAVE to be balanced, because sometimes people have a very pleasant or very negative experience. But even the most positive or negative reviewer will generally throw in an "on the other hand" comment. Fake positive reviewers have a hard time slipping in even one detail about the negative aspects of a facility or service. The more sophisticated fakes probably do slip in one or two "minor negatives" (they didn't have enough towels, but they fixed that) to seem balanced. If there is only a minor negative mentioned, my radar is up for fake.

The next big indicia of reality are DETAILS. Details details details. "My room was horrible" carries no weight with me. Instead, "my room had only one clean towel, and there were dirty glasses, and it had not been vacuumed or cleaned under the bed, and I had to wait 1 hour past check in time to even get in" is helpful. Similarly, "the staff is great!!!!" means nothing. "The hotel manager accommodated my unusual request for two extra pillows fluffed by Arnold Schwarzenegger" is helpful.
Old Jan 1, 15, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knav2013 View Post
I think you are correct. It's not too difficult. I always look at the profile of the user leaving the review. His/her other reviews...
Do you honestly expect us to read all of that?
Old Jan 1, 15, 1:41 pm

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
I look mainly pictures and other useful practical information what people post on TA. Then again, I don't trust at all the part of review pertaining to value people post, which is very balanced, I rather make my own conclusions based on pictures and other information.
Old Jan 1, 15, 7:35 pm

Up to you

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Do you honestly expect us to read all of that?
You can read as much, as little or opt not to read it. Up to you.
Old Jan 1, 15, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express RDU last week. Today when I was about to throw away my receipt (now that the points have posted), I noticed a business card was stapled to it. The card says "We Encourage You To Review Your Stay in TripAdvisor". It also said they wanted honest reviews. I had also stayed there two months ago and they weren't doing this then.
Old Jan 1, 15, 8:58 pm

"mainly"

Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I look mainly pictures and other useful practical information what people post on TA. Then again, I don't trust at all the part of review pertaining to value people post, which is very balanced, I rather make my own conclusions based on pictures and other information.
Interesting. Selecting a hotel or restaurent based "mainly on pictures and other useful practical information...". Wonder if this means mainly pictures or mainly both pictures and other useful practical information...
Old Jan 3, 15, 6:00 am

Programs: marriott platinum
I posted 3 reviews recently and nothing appeared. I also find that the hotel having the last word is disappointing, as it is a legally scripted statement with no intention to carry through and no way to method to hold them to honour the commitment.

I am currently in the Renaissance Riding school hotel in Vienna Austria. The renovations have left a 2 inch hidden step between the room and bathroom. It has been here for a year. The management have been informed many times and have now installed a metal strip to protect the tile floor from damage when your bear foot kicks the raised tile. I am no doctor, but I know the stone feels less pain. Nevertheless, it would seem that TripAdvisor protects their buddies of criticism. But when somebody trips falls and cracks their head open. I wil be there to confirm that the management knew of the potential safety and the TripAdvisor failed to pass on the warning to fellow travellers.
Old Jan 4, 15, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

After hearing repeatedly from hotels.com in TV commercials that their reviews are all genuine and not from people who lie on the internet as a swipe at TA couldn't help but note the link to TA right on their hotel pricing page and that it's several times the size of the link to hotels.com reviews. Seems everyone loves to hate TA but can't do without it.
Old Jan 6, 15, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
I left a review this weekend for a second branch of a small local burrito joint. I've been very satisfied with their food in the past but, while the service was good, the food was lukewarm and mediocre at best on Sunday. My order was also a bit messed ip and my friend was just grossed out - and has always enjoyed their food. I detailed this in my review because it's been good from their food truck and other shop.

Today, I received a message from the owner requesting a call. They're clearly reading and, especially as a local restaurant, interested in addressing customers' concerns.

I plan to call tomorrow.
Old Jan 28, 15, 6:17 pm

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by LH SEN View Post
I posted 3 reviews recently and nothing appeared.
This is the reason I stopped wasting time on the site now. I left a mediocre review (note: it's not terrible but 2 stars if you need to wait for hotel shuttle but 3 otherwise), while I don't approve of false negative reviews, some of the hotels' short comings are genuine.

Search this Thread