Wiki Posts
Search

Old Passport Number

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:52 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
This is not the case. The State Department routinely returns cancelled passports. There is no option to specify one way or the other on the form.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79960.pdf

Q:I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?
a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html
Thank you. That's exactly what I thought when I renewed mine this summer. I kept waiting for the old one to be returned as it had lots of sentimental value to me, but it never came. Shoulda just applied for a brand new passport and kept my old one.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:21 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by soitgoes
This is not the case. The State Department routinely returns cancelled passports. There is no option to specify one way or the other on the form.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79960.pdf

Q:I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?
a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html
I stand corrected. Nevertheless, I always include a note requesting that they return my old (cancelled) passport. You may have had to request it in the past and now they have changed their policy. I can't remember. But I am certain that I specifically requested my last 2 passports be returned to me. It's been 8 years since I renewed my passport.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
I'm curious what the OP did with the old passport? I have all of mine that have ever been issued to me and can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Do other people just throw them out?
To answer this question, my previous passport was a child passport from when I was 11 and it expired when I was 16. It was considered lost for a long time by my parents, but miraculously appeared when I applied for a new passport so that I could study in the UK.

I submitted my current passport and, since I had recently found it, my old (child) passport to the UK consulate to get my student visa. After that, I laid my old passport somewhere in my room in my house and moved to the UK. Well, 3 years later I've moved from London to DC to Honolulu and am now applying to return to the UK for work.

I'm sure my old passport is in my room at my parents house, but it's just quite impossible for my parents to go through every drawer, envelope, box, etc. for me. And with me being 5,000 miles away, I can't exactly swing by the parents' house and search for it myself.

So, that's the problem. Lack of memory and impossible logistics.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Ours always came under separate cover -- latterly in a large Tyvec envelope in which the passport flopped around loosely and obviously. This discussion and this latter point are making me wonder if there's still an aftermarket for the old ones. I mean, I know that they're no good as passports anymore, but I wonder if they have value where all one has to do is flash that they have one. And, to get to the point, that they would be a commodity.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
As an aside, if one fills out another country's Visa Application, that form will ask for a Passport number. If the applicant keeps a separate duplicate of the other country's Visa Application, applicant would have the Passport number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.