Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you count stops on direct flights as segments in your own books?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P

Some airlines have stops on long haul flights when flying to remote places of this earth to connect some other places with the same plane. While the airlines don't count this as another segment (ie a direct flight with one stop), do you consider this a segment in your own counting? Just curious...

example
KL flight 567 AMS-DAR (through JRO)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC, HH, PC
Personally I only count a flight as a new segment if I have had to physically change aircraft at the stop over point, otherwise I consider it part of the same flight.

On a related (and often debated point on FT) I don't consider the country as visited if I start a new segment there unless I have physically cleared immigration and stepped outside the airport.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
Some airlines have stops on long haul flights when flying to remote places of this earth to connect some other places with the same plane. While the airlines don't count this as another segment (ie a direct flight with one stop), do you consider this a segment in your own counting? Just curious...
For me, if I'm able to leave the aircraft and actually do so (or am required to do so), yes, whereas if I don't (or am required to remain on board, as with CX712/713 HKG<->SIN via BKK) then it doesn't.

Obviously, the "it's separate" counts doubly when it's a change of plane (or in some cases aircraft type)even without change of flight #.

This can produce comic/tragic results at times when the second leg leaves without the first; I'm fairly sure it's happened at least twice on AA flights I was on - in the case I'm less sure of I think AA 129 (SJC for NRT) had a leg LAS-SJC which was on a smaller plane (but I may have misunderstood what was going on there), and I know they did the same with AA 46 at some points (SFO-ORD-LHR where SFO-ORD was narrowbody, and when we were late, the ORD-LHR 777 leg left without the ongoing passengers. Fortunately for me, my ORD-LGA leg was delayed even longer than SFO-ORD, but the London-bound folks were understandably livid.)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes and no.

It counts as a take-off and a landing and it counts as a dot/line on my maps. It also counts as BIS miles flown. But it doesn't count as a visit to the country/state/city where the stop happened. I recently flew ACC-ROB-BRU. I earnt FF credit for ACC-BRU and only one EQP but on my map it is two segments and all the miles. But I do not consider myself to have visited Liberia. Even had I deplaned and hung out in a transfers lounge I wouldn't have counted that.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The only time I count segments is for status qualification, in which case the airline sets the definition. What's the point of having your own personal tally of the exact number of flights? Bragging rights?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by swag
What's the point of having your own personal tally of the exact number of flights? Bragging rights?
For instance, in case you keep track of your flights on flightmemory.com or other sites, if you don't set it up as two different segments your mileage and routes can be different from what you have actually flown...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
For instance, in case you keep track of your flights on flightmemory.com or other sites, if you don't set it up as two different segments your mileage and routes can be different from what you have actually flown...
I questioned the guys at flightmemory.com and they were uninterested in adding that multi-stop flight functionality. So I am uninterested in using their website.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by follonica2
…multi-stop flight functionality.
Or you could enter each segment under it's number. For example:

UA232323 ORD > LAX
US232323 LAX > PSP

Or whatever the exact combo is. That's how I've always kludged this sort of thing at flightmemory.com.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually no. For example I've taken CX's YYZ-HKG vv flights when it had the ANC stopover and I always treat it as one YYZ-HKG vv segment as oppose to YYZ-ANC & ANC-HKG vv.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes and no.

It counts as a take-off and a landing and it counts as a dot/line on my maps. It also counts as BIS miles flown. But it doesn't count as a visit to the country/state/city where the stop happened. I recently flew ACC-ROB-BRU. I earnt FF credit for ACC-BRU and only one EQP but on my map it is two segments and all the miles. But I do not consider myself to have visited Liberia. Even had I deplaned and hung out in a transfers lounge I wouldn't have counted that.
OK, on a forthcoming itinerary I clear Canadian customs (YYZ, on the last flight from LHR), take the inter-terminal train from T1 to T3, check-in to the on-site Sheraton (I believe I can do all this with out once going outside). The next morning I take myself back to T1 and get the first flight to IAH. Have I visited Canada?

Oh, and I do appreciate that it's bit stupid, but the 767 is missing from my log (http://openflights.org/user/weean), plus AC still dole out free booze. The things we Flyertalkers do!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
Because I've chosen to use flightmemory.com to log my flights, and they don't support a multi-stop flight, I count them as multiple legs. Otherwise, the flight path and the list of airports is off.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Weean
OK, on a forthcoming itinerary I clear Canadian customs (YYZ, on the last flight from LHR), take the inter-terminal train from T1 to T3, check-in to the on-site Sheraton (I believe I can do all this with out once going outside). The next morning I take myself back to T1 and get the first flight to IAH. Have I visited Canada?
You definitely get credit for the dot (YYZ) and the lines (LHR-YYZ and YYZ-IAH). Beyond that it is a toss-up in my book. You've only shown up there because it was where the connection was, not because you were really "going to Canada." That said, you're performing a tourist event - staying in a hotel - and that is probably enough that I'd count it. You're also clearing immigration and dealing with all that. If you didn't have the overnight I would definitely not count it.

Originally Posted by Weean
Oh, and I do appreciate that it's bit stupid, but the 767 is missing from my log (http://openflights.org/user/weean), plus AC still dole out free booze. The things we Flyertalkers do!
I'm doing a similar itinerary in January, flying NYC-YYZ-MUC and then SZG-FRA-YOW-NYC with the TATL bits on AC just for the lines (and the $300 lower airfare). Indeed, the things we do.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Yes, my record keeping is leg based so I count each segment of a through flight. I log flight time, runways, tail number, etc. for each leg so the only way this would work would be to count every takeoff and landing, even if just intermediate stops of a through flight. My logbook doesn't tie to my FF statements since that's not the point.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
Yes, my record keeping is leg based so I count each segment of a through flight. I log flight time, runways, tail number, etc. for each leg so the only way this would work would be to count every takeoff and landing, even if just intermediate stops of a through flight.
You live a rich and fulfilling life.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I do. A flight to me is defined as a take off and a landing. I also keep statistics on flight times so doing it as a "direct" would be a lot more complicated for me.

I counted my WN PHX-SFO "direct flight" with a stop in SNA as two flights this year and I think I made the right choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.