Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

No visa for you -- Official US visa refusal rates for 2010, sorted by country

Old Nov 21, 10, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

There are many kinds of VISAS (Entry, transit, work visas etc.), so the numbers may reflect this for some countries.

B-VISAS only

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/FY10.pdf
Old Nov 21, 10, 12:40 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post
There are many kinds of VISAS (Entry, transit, work visas etc.), so the numbers may reflect this for some countries.

B-VISAS only

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/FY10.pdf
Interesting!

Some numbers don´t make any sense to me, e.g.

1. Canada: 57% Seriously??? 57% of Canadian citizens did not get a business visa for the US?

2. Andorra: 100.00% Sounds like a very small sample size to me, silly indivual ruining the numbers.
Old Nov 21, 10, 12:56 am

Yes, very interesting.

Well the 57% is pretty high compared to everything else. Most that are higher would be due to sample size it seems...
Old Nov 21, 10, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Some numbers don´t make any sense to me, e.g.

1. Canada: 57% Seriously??? 57% of Canadian citizens did not get a business visa for the US?

2. Andorra: 100.00% Sounds like a very small sample size to me, silly indivual ruining the numbers.
Did you notice that the high rate of refusals for B-type visas (B-1 and B-2) are from the countries that generally have visa-free agreement with the USA? The citizens of those countries should not even be required to apply for a B visa... unless they either have some criminal history or negative encounters with the US immigration officials in the past. That is why the rate is so high.
Old Nov 21, 10, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by König View Post
Did you notice that the high rate of refusals for B-type visas (B-1 and B-2) are from the countries that generally have visa-free agreement with the USA? The citizens of those countries should not even be required to apply for a B visa... unless they either have some criminal history or negative encounters with the US immigration officials in the past. That is why the rate is so high.
They need a visa if they intend to stay more than 3 (but less than 6) months as a tourist of business visitor.

Numbers that surprised me:
  • unknown nationality or stateless: 57.6% approved. I am surprised by the high approval rate
  • Mexico: 11.1% denial. That's all? I would have imagined much higher denial rate, with many more unqualified applicants. I guess the unqualified don't even bother to apply.
  • North Korea: 23.3%. The smallest denominator that would give 23.3% is 30 (7/30). Wow, that many North Koreans applying? 30 applicants!
  • Vatican City: 14.3% denial. (1 in 7). The Holy See web site says there are only 557 Vatican citizens (2005 numbers). At least 7 of those applied for B visas? B??? And 1 got denied? I am surprised.
Old Nov 21, 10, 5:39 am

B visas are also required for citizens of VWP countries who enter the USA on private jets for Business/Leisure. Many senior executives and Government officials have B1/B2 visas as a result.
Old Nov 21, 10, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
I think this is more a psychology thing. People in Canada are fluent in English for the most part so thinking they can just get a visa to work in the US without the proper documentation, etc is maybe part of the reason. Other developing countries usually for successful VISA application of work usually requires fluent English capability, corporate backing, etc. People who apply usually fit in these categories. That maybe why there is a low Mexico legal visa denial rate but a high rate of illegals crossing the border.
Old Nov 21, 10, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , PC Gold, SPG Gold, Avis PC - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Interesting!

More than 1 out of 2 refused?
Old Nov 21, 10, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Another aspect I would be interested in:

If someone sends in an incomplete application, is it denied or not? I´m just wondering because some countries state that "incomplete paper work" will not be processed (= no denial, therefore no impact on the statistic) while others may consider it a deny a visa.
Old Nov 21, 10, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by willzzz88 View Post
I think this is more a psychology thing. People in Canada are fluent in English for the most part so thinking they can just get a visa to work in the US without the proper documentation, etc is maybe part of the reason. Other developing countries usually for successful VISA application of work usually requires fluent English capability, corporate backing, etc. People who apply usually fit in these categories. That maybe why there is a low Mexico legal visa denial rate but a high rate of illegals crossing the border.
B visas are not for work, they are for tourism or business. And by business it does not mean employment, it means meetings, conventions, etc. while working for a foreign employer.
Old Nov 21, 10, 4:56 pm

These data are interesting but lacking context it seem ludicrous. The private vs common carrier may be a factor as might be VWP with work etc. It still seems surpassingly odd. I'd like to have more context.
Old Nov 21, 10, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by König View Post
This seems the most plausible explanation.

Although it's true that citizens of the visa-waiver countries would need to apply for a B-type visa in some circumstances (e.g. a planned stay of more than 3 months, arrival by private plane), nevertheless most would not, and I suspect that people with some "immigration problem" (for want of a better term) account for the high rates of refusal from these countries.

As for a country like Andorra, it is so small in population (and, moreover, on the visa-waiver list) that the number of applicants for a B-type visa is likely to be tiny.

Ultimately, it's hard to make any real sense of the list without knowing the number of total applicants from each country and (in the case of the visa-waiver countries) the reasons for the applications being needed.

Nevertheless, it's interesting...
Old Nov 21, 10, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

As for a country like Andorra, it is so small in population (and, moreover, on the visa-waiver list) that the number of applicants for a B-type visa is likely to be tiny.
but everyone from Monaco and San Marino got in!

or noone applied
Old Nov 21, 10, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
They need a visa if they intend to stay more than 3 (but less than 6) months as a tourist of business visitor.
Canadians can stay up to six months without a visa.
Criminal records are likely the reason behind the B-1 applications for Canadian citizens.
Old Nov 21, 10, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
Canadians can stay up to six months without a visa.
Criminal records are likely the reason behind the B-1 applications for Canadian citizens.
Very true.

And Canada is not on the list of visa-waiver countries; visa-free access as visitors to the US for Canadian citizens derives from other legislation altogether.

Search this Thread