Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone has been on a (later) crashed airplane before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum

This is my 90th post, so I want to start a somewhat unique topic to celebrate,

I know many fellow keep track of the tail numbers of the aircrafts they have flown, so I wonder if any had similar experience as I did. I've been on a PC-6 once (N7895J) whichi belonged to Deland Skydive. That's in 2004. Then next year, it crashed in a mid-air accident.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Moving this over to TravelBuzz! where it's perhaps more apropos.

Please follow at it's new home.

Thanks.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:34 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Commercial, I have no idea because I don't track tail numbers but it's certainly possible. Private, yes. A plane I rented from an FBO a couple of years ago and flew myself crashed a year later and was written off, though fortunately nobody was killed.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by us2
Commercial, I have no idea because I don't track tail numbers but it's certainly possible. Private, yes. A plane I rented from an FBO a couple of years ago and flew myself crashed a year later and was written off, though fortunately nobody was killed.
Given enough time, just about every GA pilot knows another pilot and/or plane that didn't make it. I lost a friend (and his wife) who crashed his CE-182 with whom I had flown several times, in that plane. In fact, on my first solo flight as a student, I was lined up #2 for the runway behind him in his 182.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:30 pm

Private: Both aircraft I have previously owned have later crashed.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
AS261, 8 hours after I stepped off the plane.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paging Eastbay1K.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
This is rather morbid, but I'd wager that many of us who flew transcon AA out of Boston in 2000 and 2001 flew the plane N334AA that later was AA11.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
I think it is not that unfrequent than you think as planes tend to fly many times before they crash once

on the topic - I flew G-YMMM which later crashed at LHR, noone died.
AX
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:15 pm

My brother, cousin, grandmother, and I were on a Yak-42 (B-2755) that crashed the next day. When we were on the plane the previous day, there were very obvious engine problems. Even before take off, the cabin was filled with the smell of burning oil. During cruise, things did not sound right. Upon deplaning while walking to the terminal, I looked back at the still running engines to see lots of black smoke coming out of number one. Much more than the other two engines. The next day, we woke up and saw smoke in the direction of the airport. When we tuned into CNN International, there was a report about a plane crashing right after takeoff. What little details I can find say the plane went down due to mechanical failure. I believe that dodgy engine was probably the cause.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Yes - This one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_a...ia/2758145945/

Crash story:

http://www2.canada.com/westerly/stor...b-6a74a5c1cb89
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AX9465
I think it is not that unfrequent than you think as planes tend to fly many times before they crash once
Don't confuse matters by bringing logic into the mix
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I was booked onto the SQ flight that crashed on takeoff in TPE but rebooked to a flight one day early, as I had finished the meetings early in SIN.
Very creepy.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:33 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjNWzPfGWrU

The plane, named Canyon Blue, was repaired and continued to be used. I had a flight on that plane after the incident and repair.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WChou
My brother, cousin, grandmother, and I were on a Yak-42 (B-2755) that crashed the next day. When we were on the plane the previous day, there were very obvious engine problems. Even before take off, the cabin was filled with the smell of burning oil. During cruise, things did not sound right. Upon deplaning while walking to the terminal, I looked back at the still running engines to see lots of black smoke coming out of number one. Much more than the other two engines. The next day, we woke up and saw smoke in the direction of the airport. When we tuned into CNN International, there was a report about a plane crashing right after takeoff. What little details I can find say the plane went down due to mechanical failure. I believe that dodgy engine was probably the cause.
Sad story, just imagine there are probably more crashed ones that had this kind of warning signs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.