Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

C for Y+SWU? do I look stupid?

C for Y+SWU? do I look stupid?

Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Here is another one:

One other time, I was booked one seat behind my wife and child. I asked the person assigned in the aisle next to my wife to switch with the aisle seat behind him. He mumbled...I thanked him and gave him a drink tix...he did not know what they were and tried to buy a meal with it.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:25 pm

Last one to share:

My buddy just got back from Asia. He was upgraded with SWU and SO was not, SO sat in E+. Being a gentleman, he went to get his SO after the meal service, so she at least can spread out and sleep (she does not drink and does not eat much, so doesn't take much advantage of the UA services). As he brings her back to business, the purser comes up to him and "quotes" him the "one switch" rule; the purser states that there is only one switch allowed per flight...which is totally bs. He goes ahead with it...she slept the rest of the way, without drinking, eating, and enjoying the AVOD. The FAs make-up their own rules. My buddy complained and UA 1K desk apologized and admitted that there is no one switch rule and offered two vouchers.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by muc2asia
As he brings her back to business, the purser comes up to him and "quotes" him the "one switch" rule; the purser states that there is only one switch allowed per flight...which is totally bs.
I have heard of that rule... and it has been cited several times here.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: United 1K MM
Originally Posted by silver-tls
Wow - never thought I'd get such a 'great' offer

Flying home FRA-SFO last week after 2 days in Frankfurt so dead tired at this point. Upgrade didn't clear C --> F but fine with anything where I can get some sleep. Upper deck 16A and 16B already settled in. As soon as I showed up at the seat, he flashes the used car salesman smile and tries to start up a conversation. Too tired at this point I barely acknowledge what he's saying.

Then he gets to the point: Swapping seats. He goes "hey buddy, would you do me and my new wife a HUGE favor and swap seats so we can sit together? I know its a stretch given how I hate it when people ask to switch but you seem like a very nice guy."

Me: Fine. I just want to sleep. Where is she sitting? (looking around the UD for this guy's wife since usually when the seat swapping convo starts the other person is looking to see how its going)

Other guy: GREAT! She's actually on the lower deck in a window seat.

Me: What seat?

Other guy: I can't remember exactly but its a window...I'll let the FA know you were so kind to switch.

Me: Hold on...what is her seat?

Other guy: umm...i think its row 20 something K

Me: Wait - that is a economy plus seat, not C

Other guy: Yea, but you agreed and a gentleman never goes back on his word. At least not where I'm from. Tell you what - I'll give you back a SWU for your troubles. My wife's upgrade just didn't clear but it should have. That way we'll be square.

Me: Mine is a paid C ticket and there's no way in h%ll that I'm switching C for Y.

Other guy: Nobody is crazy enough to pay for a C ticket. Everyone upgrades. You, me, the guys in front and the guys downstairs.

Me: Well my company did. (big mistake)

Other guy (see's my bag with corp logo from old firm): Oh - you work for (***) do you? Well me and my wife's tax dollars bailed you out so you don't deserve to sit in C. You guys should be sitting in Y instead of paying for expensive tickets. This is ridiculous. I'm writing to my congressman.

Me: Good for you. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to take my seat.

Other guy (moves aside to let me get to my seat): I hope you enjoy your flight because its going to be the last in C. I guarentee you that. Not only do you people steal from the hardworking folks, you have no manners letting a lady sit in coach by herself.

He mumbles some more stuff but settles into his seat. Of course in this 30-45 second exchange everyone on the UD is staring to see what is going on and just rolled their eyes.
I wonder why he (the ultimate gentleman) did not give up his seat to his wife?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I have heard of that rule... and it has been cited several times here.
Which is totally, BS. United even admitted that there was no such rule.

I wonder, if I have to carry my buddy's e-mail with me, next time I travel with my SO.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by clbm12
I wonder why he (the ultimate gentleman) did not give up his seat to his wife?
He obviously thinks he's more important/deserving?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Agreed. I screwed up there saying too much. I just need to find a better laptop bag without a bank logo but I can't find one that has enough pockets (ok, more like I'm too cheap to buy one when I have 10 sitting at home - all with logos though)

I hear you - finding a good laptop bag is a trial. I own about half a dozen, none cheap, and none with corporate logos (I gave back my corporate bag as soon as they issued it to me).

Might be worth a few dollars to invest in a nice one though if it heads off louses like this one thinking he has a right to your seat because he "PAYS YOUR SALARY".
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Plat; Hilton; SkyMiles
Originally Posted by warreng24
the guy, because should have told you where his wife was sitting.

to you, since you should have asked where the wife was sitting BEFORE you agreed.

Agree that the guy was a total tool for not being upfront, but you should have known better.
Yeah, maybe OP should have asked first, but if the story is true than the other guy was trying to run a shell game and still would have had some rationalization as to why OP should feel obligated to change the seats.

At the very least, the other guy deserves many more thumbs down than OP.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phedre
I hear you - finding a good laptop bag is a trial. I own about half a dozen, none cheap, and none with corporate logos (I gave back my corporate bag as soon as they issued it to me).

Might be worth a few dollars to invest in a nice one though if it heads off louses like this one thinking he has a right to your seat because he "PAYS YOUR SALARY".
My company provides us with generic (read: no logo) laptop bags. I have the larger backpack model, but they also give out a smaller backpack, a shoulder bag, and a wheelie bag. My bag is a bit hefty (ie, big), but I do appreciate all the pockets and compartments.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Plat; Hilton; SkyMiles
Originally Posted by BigBossman
haha...good one

But the "gentleman" in question is definitely a tool. I would rather give up my seat in C or F to sit in Y next to my SO than ask another C/F passanger to go to cattle class so my SO could come to C/F.
I agree. I have turned down more than one u/g so I could still sit next to my wife in Y.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
My company provides us with generic (read: no logo) laptop bags. I have the larger backpack model, but they also give out a smaller backpack, a shoulder bag, and a wheelie bag. My bag is a bit hefty (ie, big), but I do appreciate all the pockets and compartments.
Ours gives out the generic Targus ones, the big ugly ones with the fake leather and ballistic black nylon.

I have a nice collection in butterscotch leather, jade silk, pink tweed, and other lovely fabrics. My workhorse is a large black leather bag with an orange stripe.

My bag motto is "Just say no to black ballistic nylon"
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:07 pm

Actually, psychologically speaking the offending person did a great job trying to play you!

1. First of all: the smile-- causes a feeling of well-being and connectedness.

2. Begins his warm-up by starting a conversation.

3. “Hey buddy”-- engenders a sense of camaraderie

4. “Do me a huge favor”-- OP given the opportunity to feel good about himself and prove what a good person he is.

5. “I know it’s a stretch given how I hate it”-- you've shared experiences (connectedness)

6. "But you seem like a very nice guy"-- He agrees with you that you’re Mr. Niceguy!

7. "A gentleman never goes back on his word" -- maybe you’re not a gentleman! Now you have to prove you’re Mr. Niceguy again!

8. “At least not where I’m from” -- maybe you’re from someplace unsavory...

9. "Give you back a SWU for your troubles"-- makes it seem as if there is parity-- he's being reasonable, right?

10. "My wife’s upgrade didn’t clear but should have" -- gives a false sense of guilt, plus gives you a chance to redeem yourself and be Mr. Niceguy again.

"That way we’ll be square"-- See! You’re not giving up anything and you are Mr. Niceguy!

Very clever indeed.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by muc2asia
Here are some more experiences from my part.

One time, I was in a emergency exit seat in E- on a 747. Along comes another passenger, wanting my seat (we were somehow double booked). We call a FA and she sorts it out. She comes back with a C class seat for me. I felt back for the person, so I gave them 4 drink tix...it was a transatlantic flight. They did not even thank me.
Did they have status? If not, then why feel bad? UA chose to reward the 1K pax with a seat in C, while giving the exit row to another pax..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Flew TATL recently; +1 in XF, me in NF (old config 777). Day-of-flight, swap to new config. I got downgraded. She suggested we swap seats (she's smaller and so the biz beds are easier for her, and she was only really interested in the AVOD.

We did try to get my down-grade reversed, but to no avail. When we did get aboard, I talked to the purser and got her a nice glass of the F champagne.

I slept most of the way, and she watched video and took a nap. And on the way back, we were on different flights, (me LH, her UA), both in F. And we both survived without sitting next to each other for the 11 hours.

This guy was trying to scam the OP.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Agreed. I screwed up there saying too much. I just need to find a better laptop bag without a bank logo but I can't find one that has enough pockets (ok, more like I'm too cheap to buy one when I have 10 sitting at home - all with logos though)
you could always put a sticker over the logo...sports team, inspirational slogan...then you're saving money by not buying a new bag and not causing yourself undue stress.

btw, back on topic, you don't look stupid. the other guy, however...sheesh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.