Wiki Posts
Search

C for Y+SWU? do I look stupid?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by Sierra313
Exactly. I was boarding non-UA economy, but I had an exit row aisle seat. Walking back I see a pretty young lady sitting at the window. As soon as I sit down, she starts explaining that she is on her honeymoon and they couldn't get their seats together and blah blah blah... I'm guessing his seat is in the bathroom and trying to figure out how I'm going to get out of this situation. Turns out he's in 1A. Being the gentleman that I am...
haha...good one

But the "gentleman" in question is definitely a tool. I would rather give up my seat in C or F to sit in Y next to my SO than ask another C/F passanger to go to cattle class so my SO could come to C/F. I will always move around the same cabin class if someone asks (C or E+, well, expect for a middle seat in Y). I am still waiting for someone to come from C or F and ask me (when I am in Y) to take his/her seat!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Anytime, anyone "demands" a seat swap, I hit the flight attendant button. If my seat is unoccupied, I sit down and state, let's get the flight attendant to sort this. If my seat is squatted, I say nothing until the flight attendant arrives.

The story in the OP just reinforces my approach.
What if someone just sat in the wrong seat by accident? I sat in the wrong seat on a recent FRA-IAD flight (row 24 instead of 26 or something like that). It was just a simple mistake. The person who should have been sitting where I was showed me his boarding pass, I showed him mine, I felt stupid, apologized and moved to my correct seat. No harm, no foul.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Every client and firm I've traveled for has a variant of the 6-hour rule. Sometimes it's "Six hours plus an expectation to work immediately upon arrival."

Keep in mind that most big firms don't pay anywhere near the "rack rate" you see in a generic search engine like Orbitz for int'l C. I know a couple of my past firms have had negotiated discounts in the 40% range on int'l C. Lesser, but certainly nontrivial, discounts on regular domestic Y travel as well.

Anyway, I usually attempt to be accommodating if someone politely asks for a seat swap as long as they've thought through their proposition and presented the logical option to me. (In other words, the seat swapper accepts the lesser seats in exchange for getting two together.)

I wouldn't have even explained as much as the OP did to justify not switching. How I got here is moot. I'm holding a C BP, your wife is holding Y, you need to go down to row 20 and offer Mr. 20H an upgrade.

Or, let your wife sit by herself in Y, and what kind of gentleman would do such a thing?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by silver-tls
...you have no manners letting a lady sit in coach by herself...
Sounds like the guy had no manners, letting his wife sit in Y...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BigBossman
haha...good one

But the "gentleman" in question is definitely a tool. I would rather give up my seat in C or F to sit in Y next to my SO than ask another C/F passanger to go to cattle class so my SO could come to C/F. I will always move around the same cabin class if someone asks (C or E+, well, expect for a middle seat in Y). I am still waiting for someone to come from C or F and ask me (when I am in Y) to take his/her seat!
I did on a SFO-LAX flight earlier this year. My UDU cleared at the gate but my wife's didn't (she is only a 2P). I was in 2B and she was in 6C so took the 3 steps back to row 6 and asked if 6B wanted to ride in 2B. He was so excited as he never rode in F before and kept saying thank you thank you, you're the coolest person in the world (probably still in college). But on longer flights, sorry, I'd probably have to swap seats with the wife. One of us in relative comfort and the other in E+ (note when I say 'one of us' its always her) for a few hours is worth it to avoid a few days of how if she can go through the pain of having children, I can sit in E+.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Me: Mine is a paid C ticket and there's no way in h%ll that I'm switching C for Y.

Other guy: Nobody is crazy enough to pay for a C ticket. Everyone upgrades. You, me, the guys in front and the guys downstairs.

Me: Well my company did. (big mistake)
This is why you never never EVER give someone a reason for your refusal - it's just ammunition for them to turn against you. A "No thank you" is your best option. Acceptable alternatives are "I'm sorry that won't be possible", with a press of the FA call button if the pest won't stop.

I have the full support of Miss Manners on this one
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phedre
This is why you never never EVER give someone a reason for your refusal - it's just ammunition for them to turn against you. A "No thank you" is your best option. Acceptable alternatives are "I'm sorry that won't be possible", with a press of the FA call button if the pest won't stop.

I have the full support of Miss Manners on this one
Agreed. I screwed up there saying too much. I just need to find a better laptop bag without a bank logo but I can't find one that has enough pockets (ok, more like I'm too cheap to buy one when I have 10 sitting at home - all with logos though)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
OK, if I am travelling with my wife and only one upgrade clears, there is no question about who is going to sit upstairs. I mean domestic tranqulity trumps all! The guy sounds like an idiot on all fronts.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Agreed. I screwed up there saying too much. I just need to find a better laptop bag without a bank logo but I can't find one that has enough pockets (ok, more like I'm too cheap to buy one when I have 10 sitting at home - all with logos though)
Get one of those faux-Swiss-army laptop bags. They're pretty ubiquitous now - there may even be knockoffs of knockoffs. I bought mine back in 2008 or so.

It has zippers galore and has been very durable for extensive travel. In fact, for a 1-night stay, I can get a change of clothes in there and not need a 2nd carryon... One of the more useful pieces of luggage I've ever bought...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodway
OK, if I am travelling with my wife and only one upgrade clears, there is no question about who is going to sit upstairs. I mean domestic tranqulity trumps all! The guy sounds like an idiot on all fronts.
The code I try to live by: "Happy wife = Happy life" - not the "Me" first attitude displayed by this guy. I guess he thought he was taking care of his wife by trying to dupe someone out of their seat.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Get one of those faux-Swiss-army laptop bags. They're pretty ubiquitous now - there may even be knockoffs of knockoffs. I bought mine back in 2008 or so.

It has zippers galore and has been very durable for extensive travel. In fact, for a 1-night stay, I can get a change of clothes in there and not need a 2nd carryon... One of the more useful pieces of luggage I've ever bought...
I've seen a few of those that are huge and some pax claim its their personal item. Kudos to an FA 2 weeks ago who told one of these passengers that if it doesn't fit under their seat, its being checked. If I could stuff a suit in that bag and work an iron properly, I'd be onboard. But alas, I end up creating a crease on the other side of my shirts whenever I try to iron.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 27, 2010 at 1:48 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Chances are, you could have also responded that the Federal government made a healthy profit on the bailout as well. The 'bailout' of large banks, has proven to be a moneymaker for the US.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Chances are, you could have also responded that the Federal government made a healthy profit on the bailout as well. The 'bailout' of large banks, has proven to be a moneymaker for the US.
Trust me - its easier to just keep your mouth shut than try to explain the details. Yes, the Fed made a better return on the bailout than alot but that would just be inviting more ranting. Discussion on the banks should be added to the topics you just don't talk about (politics, religion, banks/bank bailout)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I have a friend that works somewhere where there are times they might not want to advertise and his laptop bag has a logo but also has a flap that can pull out from behind it that goes over the logo and is velcroed. Nice and convenient you should see if your firm has any like that.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
I did on a SFO-LAX flight earlier this year. My UDU cleared at the gate but my wife's didn't (she is only a 2P). I was in 2B and she was in 6C so took the 3 steps back to row 6 and asked if 6B wanted to ride in 2B. He was so excited as he never rode in F before and kept saying thank you thank you, you're the coolest person in the world (probably still in college). But on longer flights, sorry, I'd probably have to swap seats with the wife. One of us in relative comfort and the other in E+ (note when I say 'one of us' its always her) for a few hours is worth it to avoid a few days of how if she can go through the pain of having children, I can sit in E+.
I agree...I changed several times with E+ passenger or gave up my seat at the gate, in order to sit next to my SO.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Here are some more experiences from my part.

One time, I was in a emergency exit seat in E- on a 747. Along comes another passenger, wanting my seat (we were somehow double booked). We call a FA and she sorts it out. She comes back with a C class seat for me. I felt back for the person, so I gave them 4 drink tix...it was a transatlantic flight. They did not even thank me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.