Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade from economy to business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

upgrade from economy to business

Can anyone please tell me how can I upgrade my economy ticket to a Business or First class? Recently I had few trips in economy and it was very hectic to travel in economy because of their seats. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me the easy ways to get the upgrade. I have read about people getting the upgrades on different blogs but do not know the exact procedure.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by anniekuang
Can anyone please tell me how can I upgrade my economy ticket to a Business or First class? Recently I had few trips in economy and it was very hectic to travel in economy because of their seats. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me the easy ways to get the upgrade. I have read about people getting the upgrades on different blogs but do not know the exact procedure.
mmm...easiest way is to buy up to business or first. If thats not possible, then you have to use other means.

Perhaps you can tell us what airline, what route, whether you have elite status with the airline, etc. Then people can advise you.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
might be some on the airline web site....good luck....
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I would appreciate if anyone can tell me the easy ways to get the upgrade.
Pay for it.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Ways to upgrade:
1. Buy an upgrade from the airline (which can sometimes be done at the airport on the day of travel).
2. Fly enough with a single airline to earn enough miles to trade for an upgrade.
3. Fly enough with a single airline to earn elite status, which may then entitle you to upgrades space permitting.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Hi Annie, welcome to FT.

A couple of years ago I had the same question and then I found FT and upgrades started pouring down from the heavens! I discovered a world of airport lounges and priority check-in and all manner of other things that made my travel life easier.

The trick is join a FF program, fly a lot an stay with the same carrier. Otherwise be prepared to shell out some extra money.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

thank you all for your suggestions and sorry for not giving enough information. i do not have any elite status so far because i started flying recently because of my new position in my company i am going to travel a lot to australia and india and after 3 months it could be in european countries as well. I can not choose a specific airline for now but they are booking my seats in airasia for now.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
On the web site, when you buy your ticket, you can choose the cabin you want.

Click on First Class.

Then Click on your dates.

Then click buy ticket and pay the money.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Everyone start off from flying many many trips in economy before one can fly business (including me and many others), not unless you or your company are willing to pay for business in the first place. There is no free lunch out there.

I can not choose a specific airline for now but they are booking my seats in airasia for now.
Since your company is using AirAsia, why not take a look at thier website instead ?

http://www.airasia.com/my/en/upgradetraveloption.html

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:10 am
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I think my question is not so silly but still i am getting comments like "pay for it" and some one describing the procedure to book first class ticket. I have been told by some of my friends that i can get the best answers at FT and i can find here almost any offer !! But i really appreciate some genuine answers. thanks
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:00 am

I think my question is not so silly but still i am getting comments like "pay for it" and some one describing the procedure to book first class ticket. I have been told by some of my friends that i can get the best answers at FT and i can find here almost any offer !! But i really appreciate some genuine answers. thanks
The answers given ARE the sensible ones - you either pay for it in hard cash or you earn it by flying with the same airline a lot.

Any other ways you may have heard of are either wishful thinking or criminal in nature and have the common factor of not working.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

yeah some of them are really good and helping especially the comment by ORDnHKG, i am very much curious about the Airasia upgrade offer. But for upgrade we have to contact option town.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
A number of airlines offer "day of departure" upgrades either for money or miles or a combination of both. For example, my wife and I had paid coach tickets from SFO to AMS on KL. On the day of departure at the airport, we were offered an upgrade for 25,000 miles plus 400 Euro. That was much less than buying a business class ticket. A friend who had a paid coach ticket on UA from IAD to ACC was offered an upgrade for $800 on the day of departure.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:09 am
Suspended

If it were that easy, the economy section of every plane would be empty.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
yeah some of them are really good and helping especially the comment by ORDnHKG, i am very much curious about the Airasia upgrade offer. But for upgrade we have to contact option town.
A little aggressive on top of not even researching the forum before posting question that can hardly be answered.
1. Spend some time reading and searching the forum
2. with number 1 done you can now ask question that probably make more sense and therefore give you an answer you can understand.

good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.