Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Overweight passenger bleeding into your seat - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight passenger bleeding into your seat - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by marble
Is it possible to fit in a seat without an extender but still spill over into your neighbour's space?
Depends on the seat and on the person. Seatbelts are not of a uniform length, so a person may need it in one seat but not another. It also depends on how the person is built (i.e. is the person an apple or a pear....)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I just don't like strangers touching me / brushing against me / smushing against me over the seat border. If they're too big to fit in their seat without touching me, they should buy two. If they're too inconsiderate about the armrest to avoid touching me, they're a jerk. Don't touch me without my consent if I don't know you and we'll all be fine. INVISIBLE LINES, people!!! Don't cross them.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
Don't touch me without my consent if I don't know you and we'll all be fine.
Hmmm...so somone who you do know CAN touch you without your consent?

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
INVISIBLE LINES, people!!! Don't cross them.
That's the problem with INVISIBLE LINES, they tend to be...ummm...invisibile.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
As far as I'm concerned - if I'm in a seat - the armrests WILL be in the down position - on both sides- for the duration of the flight.

The person sitting next to me can either like that or lump it! Down it goes when I arrive at the seat (which is nearly always a window so anyone already seated in the row will have to let me in) - and down it stays!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:50 am
Suspended

I am not that broad to get affected by these obese people and i prefer to travel light.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i am stuck today. exit row asile seat. a person of size sat on the middle sit.
had to give up a lot of space and the armrest of up when i woke up.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:33 am
Suspended

say thanks to god that you were not in the middle. good that your trip is over.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:28 am
Suspended

sometimes it's better for those who are lean and thin
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Quite often it doesn't matter if you are normal sized or even matchstick thin..... if you have an obese person next to you oozing over into your economy seat space, you will be just as uncomfortable without an armrest or around a third of your shoulder space.... or having to lean sideways.....
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
I just finished writing to Delta about this very thing. It happened to me 2 days ago where the first person on board was a very obese woman in a wheelchair. I am the 3rd on board and am seated next to her (I'm in the aisle and she's in the center seat on a 757). I just looked at half of my seat that was available and the shock was only similar to the guy who arrived that had a BP for the window seat.

The flight was full, last one of the night, and I was 2 rows from the boarding door and the FA's could see me (with the distressed look on my face) and did nothing. My back still hurts from sitting with my upper torso out in the aisle, and I got hit in the head, shoulder and arm from everything that was carried on board. In fact, the FA's constantly bumped me the entire flight. Not one apology.

I felt bad for the woman and decided to suck it up and not make a scene, and could never embarass her. I am just disappointed that Delta employees did nothing. They seated her first and had to see that she could not fit in her seat and knew that would be an issue. The FA's knew and they never even made eye contact. Waiting to see what Delta's response is.
Just to follow up, I got an email from Delta apoligizing and saying their policy is to monitor and charge for a second seat. It was kind of a lame form letter. I got a $50 voucher too.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Quite often it doesn't matter if you are normal sized or even matchstick thin..... if you have an obese person next to you oozing over into your economy seat space, you will be just as uncomfortable without an armrest or around a third of your shoulder space.... or having to lean sideways.....
So what the matchstick guy should do? Bully the obese one?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:38 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Only once (on an ERJ) did it happen to me. I stated very clearly "Excuse me. Here is the deal; I will not sit in your seat, so please do not sit in mine". He spent the 90 mins. with his ar*e half way up the fuselage, but out of my way. He was a stinker as well. Yuck.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--and yet another thread is closed...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.