Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Leave stuff in hotel room...would you?

View Poll Results: If no safe, do you leave at the hotel or take with you items when out for the day?
I take my passport and cash; leave all else in the room.
33.01%
Take passport/cash; but if feel OK w/hotel, leave camera/laptop, etc. in room.
49.28%
Don't leave anything in the room; lug everything around.
4.31%
Other, please explain.
13.40%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 18, 10, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Wanted to make this a poll but cannot see that option!

Question: Well, it feels good to roam around freely in a destination, especially going out in the nighttime, without lugging around a bag full of your valuables (camera, laptop etc.). Do you feel comfortable leaving those behind in your locked room, assuming a private room and it DOES NOT HAVE A SAFE.

I've excluded the option "leave everything behind" because it's obviously very foolish so here are the practical choices:

a) I take my passport and most cash but leave the rest in the room when I need to

b) It depends on the hotel, if I feel good about the environment then I will leave laptop/camera/electronics etc. in the room but always take critical hard to replace items like passport/cash etc.

c) Never, I lug everything around, all the time, every time

d) Other, please explain
Old Oct 18, 10, 2:09 pm

       

Last edited by ksharpe; Feb 2, 17 at 2:39 am
Old Oct 18, 10, 2:17 pm
Suspended

a), every time, and I've never had a problem. I always stay in safe locations.
Old Oct 18, 10, 2:22 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I usually leave my stuff in the room. I tend to frequent hotels with good reviews on TA and so far never had an issue. Cleaners at good hotels are screened and vetted. They are usually very decent folks who work hard to earn a living. Also, reputable hotels have good security protocols in place to prevent unauthorized access to the rooms.

Of course it is common sense to hide valuable from plain sight.
Old Oct 18, 10, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It depends on the hotel and what I have with me. Cash and passport travel with me, unless there's a safe.
Old Oct 18, 10, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Wanted to make this a poll but cannot see that option!

Question: Well, it feels good to roam around freely in a destination, especially going out in the nighttime, without lugging around a bag full of your valuables (camera, laptop etc.). Do you feel comfortable leaving those behind in your locked room, assuming a private room and it DOES NOT HAVE A SAFE.

I've excluded the option "leave everything behind" because it's obviously very foolish so here are the practical choices:

a) I take my passport and most cash but leave the rest in the room when I need to

b) It depends on the hotel, if I feel good about the environment then I will leave laptop/camera/electronics etc. in the room but always take critical hard to replace items like passport/cash etc.

c) Never, I lug everything around, all the time, every time

d) Other, please explain
If the room didn't have a safe, most times I'd lock my passport and other valuables inside my luggage.
Old Oct 18, 10, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

e) I generally leave whatever I don't want to carry. This has included hundreds of dollars in cash, electronics, etc. in random rooms, not locked in a safe, all over the world.

It has always been there when I got back so I guess I'm doing pretty well so far.

In a hostel environment I lock my goodies in the locker provided and I've been similarly lucky/good at not having anything go missing.
Old Oct 18, 10, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)
If the room does not have a safe, then I take my passport and wallet/credit cards with me. I have a very small wallet just for that purpose.

I carry them under my clothes. Most people would use a security wallet, but I just put them in my bra. No pickpocket in the world will go there.
Old Oct 18, 10, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711 View Post
If the room didn't have a safe, most times I'd lock my passport and other valuables inside my luggage.
Same here. My luggage is too inconvenient to lug around, so it is a good store of valuables while away. I've been pick pocketed (wallet+cash+cc, passport safe in luggage!) before but never had stuff stolen from accomodation. The real nasty part of the pick pocket incident is we caught the person (a 12yr old gypsy/roma girl in France) about 10 seconds after it happened, but not before she passed it off to her 14yr old sister who we didn't catch, and suffice to say the police couldn't do much more than issue a report for insurance.
Old Oct 18, 10, 5:52 pm

I've never done anything but A, but I could see doing B if I was any bit concerned.

Obviously you should put the valuables out of sight...
Old Oct 18, 10, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711 View Post
Ditto - whilst staff may be tempted by small items left lying around (not that it's ever happened to me), I reckon (well, hope!) the chances of someone knocking off an entire large suitcase are quite remote.
Old Oct 18, 10, 8:24 pm

A for me. I don't mess with hotel safes.

Seems like I've read some stuff saying to leave your passport in the hotel safe and carry a copy, but for me it's nothing but the real thing. If it goes missing I'd like to know before I'm leaving the hotel.

I think my laptop is safer in the hotel room instead of my car. My boss always takes her laptop and puts it in the trunk of her rental when she goes out to eat. i leave mine in the hotel.
Old Oct 18, 10, 8:25 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Don't "they" say you shouldn't carry your passport with you, but only a copy? I leave most stuff at the hotel.
Old Oct 18, 10, 9:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
I think my laptop is safer in the hotel room instead of my car. My boss always takes her laptop and puts it in the trunk of her rental when she goes out to eat. i leave mine in the hotel.
+1...though my laptop goes in the safe.

Rental car trunks were probably safer in the old days when they required crowbars to open. Nowadays, all you need is a sparkplug on the driver side window and then hit the inside trunk release.
Old Oct 18, 10, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I always leave stuff in my room, my wallet goes with me no matter what so thats not an issue. Never had anything come up missing yet and I've stayed in some pretty sketchy places over the years.

Search this Thread