Search

Upgraded on Pan Am 50 years ago?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Upgraded on Pan Am 50 years ago?

Hi all!

Applying for a China visa and my Dad unearthed a treasure trove of 50 year old docs including the original ticket carbons and jackets from our emigration flight on 5 November 1960!!!!

I note we were in 3A, B, C on the first segment HKG-HNL. I'm guessing we were upgraded! Who knew. Supposedly the Pan Am 707s had 16 first class seats. I've googled a few sites including everythingpanam.com but didn't find any seating charts.

So, were we upgraded? FWIW, my ticket as a three year old was $345. The fare basis was YJ / OW. Assume OW meant one way. I didn't get back to Hong Kong for forty years.

The second segment was AAL row 15 so assume that meant economy.

Let the speculation begin. Maybe that's how I developed my taste for the upgrade!

Jim
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Bump

No experienced Pan Am hands here?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
y'all must have been on purchased tickets.....or gotten op uped....ff programs weren't started until 1981 iirc....
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, I had flown PA (and TW, not to mention many other departed airlines like EA, WA...) for some years before they went defunct, and I do suspect you were upgraded to F. My earlier flights on PA were on DC-4s and DC-6s, later Boeing 707s, my last on Boeing 747 "classic" -121 and -221 models, L-1011, Boeing 727s and 737s.

Check out this website.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, I had flown PA (and TW, not to mention many other departed airlines like EA, WA...) for some years before they went defunct, and I do suspect you were upgraded to F. My earlier flights on PA were on DC-4s and DC-6s, later Boeing 707s, my last on Boeing 747 "classic" -121 and -221 models, L-1011, Boeing 727s and 737s.

Check out this website.
Cool website! Though I only ever flew Pan Am on one roundtrip I'm quite fond of the airline. That trip (CLE-JFK-MAD/CDG-JFK-CLE) in Spring of 1990, got my then-16-year-old self hooked on travel and wanting to see the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.