Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Possible reason behind 7kg carry-on weight limit on some airlines

Possible reason behind 7kg carry-on weight limit on some airlines

Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by crazyMRer
When you fly as much as me, saving a little time every trip by not checking bags really adds up! I suggest you learn to do the same if you value your time.
That sounds very arrogant. How do you know that I don't?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:48 am

For QF its an OH&S issue and I believe is a part of the F/A CBA.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:33 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by celle
That sounds very arrogant. How do you know that I don't?
Would it be correct to assume that you have never had checked baggage lost, stolen, damaged, or delayed, but that the poster you are replying to has?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is $$$ too!

If it were safety, then there should be a standard, applicable across all classes. There isn't, so until there is, the airlines with 5kg limits (some of the Brit carriers) will be way down my list of people I want to fly with! Consider this, you can leave the same British airport on one carrier with a 5kg limit, and another with no weight limit at all (you must be able to lift it, I believe is the restriction of weight). Seems utterly silly to me.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eoinnz
Exactly - $$$$$

The money it costs the airlines to pay for injuries to passengers and crew. Injuries from passenger bags is one of the most common forms of injury to passengers (where I work anyway). I can't remember where it placed last year but it was in the top 3.

Where I work assisting with hand luggage is at the discretion of the crew member, and if they do help there are certain techniques that should be followed, like using a 2nd person. My rule, if you can't lift it - neither can I (Of course with a few exceptions - I'd never expect my grandma to reach a locker but if her bag is too heavy I'd still gate check it!)
As a general rule this is fine.

I doubt my wife could lift an empty rollaboard above her head, though, and the bins are out of her reach anyway. She's good with people, though, she's never had any trouble getting a seat-mate to lift her bag.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:46 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I rather like having a reasonable weight limit. It means you always find overhead locker space, and there's not quite such an unseemly rush for the plane.

(Which, if you're travelling up front, is great - you can board the plane last, not first, and enjoy your time in the rather roomier surroundings of the lounge).
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by crazyMRer
I don't want unlimited baggea on planes. I want what I am currently allowed by US airlines, not more. I take a roller and computer backpack.

I can easily lift my bag every time. I will never bump into you withy my bag. Airlne bins are built and certified to handle multiple 30 LBS bags per bin. Why would you care if you are sitting below my bag?

When you fly as much as me, saving a little time every trip by not checking bags really adds up! I suggest you learn to do the same if you value your time.
That's fine as I usually travel with only carry on but then one needs to pack appropriately. I think Celle is referring to those passengers who believe that if they want to take the kitchen sink via carry on they can. If I am taking or planning on getting things that are oversize or heavy then I will usually check-in my luggage.

Travelling with carry on only means taking less clothing, being prepared to wash whilst there and not packing every piece of conceivable equipment possible. Some of what I see being "carried on" to US airlines would probably be rejected for being overweight for Asia Pacific check-in.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by tjl
Would it be correct to assume that you have never had checked baggage lost, stolen, damaged, or delayed, but that the poster you are replying to has?
For me, that's almost correct.

According to FlightMemory, I have flown 523,115 miles, and done the equivalent of 21 circumnavigations of the world. And that's only the flights I could remember . So far, I've visited 56 countries.

I have never had checked baggage stolen or damaged (even in the USA or at LHR) and only once has baggage gone astray. On that flight (Fiji to New Zealand) our bags went to Australia instead. They were delivered right to our door the following day.

It seems to me, from what I have read, that baggage goes astray more in the USA, and that Americans are obsessed with the concept of carrying everything with them.

Here in Australasia, as someone else noted, the size and weight of hand baggage is a Health and Safety issue - people have been injured by heavy bags falling from overhead lockers. The last time I flew out of AKL, they were stopping people with large or heavy-looking hand baggage (just before the security line) and weighing the bags. Anything oversize or overweight had to be checked.

I think our baggage handlers here in NZ are great - maybe it''s because we don't tip!

Last year, my cousin flew from LAX to AKL. She inadvertently forgot to claim one bag from the carousel (she was a bit vague).

3 days later, I received a phone call, asking if she was staying with us. It was the baggage handlers at AKL. They had opened her case, found an address book inside and phoned all the contacts listed in it, until they found her son in New York. He gave them my phone number and they phoned me. The bag was delivered to our home the following day. It cost us nothing.

Now, that's honesty and going the extra mile!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by celle

Here in Australasia, as someone else noted, the size and weight of hand baggage is a Health and Safety issue - people have been injured by heavy bags falling from overhead lockers. The last time I flew out of AKL, they were stopping people with large or heavy-looking hand baggage (just before the security line) and weighing the bags. Anything oversize or overweight had to be checked.
I pretty sure that in Australia, I'm not sure about NZ, that it is a CASA requirement, precisely due to safety reasons.
Though I notice that QF aren't policing it very much nowdays with people bringing on suspiciously heavy bags.

A recent stormy flight, where a locker opened and the contents were dumped out, made me think carefully about sitting the aisle. At least at the window seat you might only get a glancing blow, or perhaps something that had rebounded off another passenger's head!

Another element that I don't think is highlighted is what to wear on the plane. Synthetic fibres, shorts and sandals aren't going to be pretty if there is a fire.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k
See alot of women typically bringing more in their roll-on, then asking the guy by them to put it up for them.

If you can't lift it, check it. Or under the seat.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:40 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Travelling with carry on only means taking less clothing, being prepared to wash whilst there and not packing every piece of conceivable equipment possible. Some of what I see being "carried on" to US airlines would probably be rejected for being overweight for Asia Pacific check-in.
Actually, any full bag of the typical allowed size in the US (22" * 14" * 9") can easily go overweight compared to a 7kg or 15 pound limit. A non-wheeled backpack can typically be stuffed with a volume of clothing that exceeds the weight limit, even without dense objects like books or laptop computers. A wheeled rollaboard weighs enough that by itself consumes a significant portion of the weight limit.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:41 pm
Suspended

We need a carry-on weight and size limit, but 7 kg is too small.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.