How Do You Make Your Spouse Understand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Do You Make Your Spouse Understand?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by xvimbi
After flying in business class for the first time, my wife complained about the FAs coming by every five minutes asking if she wanted anything else, and if everything was OK. She hated it and just wanted to be left alone, in peace and quiet! Of course, she is also much smaller than me and has no issues with leg room in coach. I think I'm screwed
i feel for you....

my wife hates sitting in the lounge....even if we have a few hours to kill at the airport, she refuses to sit in the lounge....she would much rather sit in a coffee shop in the terminal....she says she gets bored in the lounge....
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
I have to second (and third, etc.) the "Once they sit up front for a long haul, they'll get it." I have flown at least 2 segments a week on DL for the past 3 years (plus or minus a few holiday weeks where I flew for fun) and spent 4+ nights in various hotels. I can luckily get my mattress runs out of the way during the week when I'm out of town for work so the Mr. doesn't get frustrated. He thinks it's crazy to pack up each morning and move to a different hotel, but he doesn't think the Astor Suite at the St. Regis is crazy I try to keep our pleasure travel to that - pleasure, and do my MR's and crazy bookings when it's just myself.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Not only did I take spouse to London for a week-long stay for free on Hilton points (with the terrible exchange rate GBP/USD we saved probably $4000+), but he's seen me go to bonuspointsmall.com, buy things at Best Buy for pickup that same day - and get triple Amex points for them. (We actually are now fancy Best Buy Reward Zone members as well due to this trick.)

Hubs now has his own Amex and is really enjoying getting certificates for free DVDs and music, his twin weaknesses ^
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I am glad the women I fine are cheap and like to screw the system at any chance they get.

I had an ex who signed up for affiliate programs just so she could get cash back on her purchases, she would then use her credit card that earned her cash back, and coupons for american air that earned her 10 miles per dollar spent.

I now do the same.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by saad
....she would much rather sit in a coffee shop in the terminal....she says she gets bored in the lounge....
Since she "got it," my wife had done the math on the cost of airport coffee vs. the cost of coffee in the Admiral's Club (free) over the number of times we expect to transit ACs over the next year. I am therefore a member of the AC.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Yes, of course -- you and I are over the honesty issue. It's been dealt with. But it seemed clear to me from the original post that this poster's wife was still struggling with doubts. It seems very grammar school to us, but everyone has to start with their ABCs. Too many times couples talk past each other. I wanted to make sure that didn't happen here.

Originally Posted by MilesMark
I think many of us responding to this ASSUMED that we were over the honesty issue. I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of FTers that we are obsessive about taking advantage of promos and opportunites but do not cross the line into fraud or deception. So, yes, there are two obstacles for spouses. The first is that what we're doing is perfectly legal and ethical. Hopefully most of our spouses know us well enough to make that assumption. The other, perhaps bigger one, is to convince them that it's worth the effort. I agree that sitting in first class is no way to convince someone that something unethical is worth it. But it can certainly justify a benign addiction.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Since she "got it," my wife had done the math on the cost of airport coffee vs. the cost of coffee in the Admiral's Club (free) over the number of times we expect to transit ACs over the next year. I am therefore a member of the AC.
her argument is that the coffee in a coffee bean, starbucks, cafe nero, etc is way better than the coffee in the lounge....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Luckily my wife understands and is now a happy miles/points junkie... though not quite as into it as me, I guess, since she hasn't created her own FT account!

We sometimes do encounter other people, though, who seem a bit suspicious or maybe jealous. First they assume we must be loaded when we talk about the various trips we've taken (as a family of 3), as we live a modest lifestyle. After convincing them we didn't knock off a liquor store to finance the trips, they seem to accept that we really did get free flights, stays, etc. from keeping up on available promotions...many have no clue the magnitude of mile available - the Chase BA 100K (200K total for us) really blows some away. Yet their next reaction is to shut the door on taking advantage themselves.."oh we could never figure all that out; would take too much time/money/miles for us; etc" Which may be true but I'm surprised that most don't want to at least hear our tips and figure out if anything would work for them. To each his own though.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
My husband thought it was boring to stay at only IC, CP and HI until I got RA-status a few days ago. He was very happy to have a suite and free mini-bar at IC Vienna this weekend. :-D

And he was over the moon when we were upgraded to business on an intercontinental flight this spring. Not that happy when we had to go to Paris instead of Amsterdam and take the bus to Amsterdam. On the other hand I have never had more use of my gold-card with KLM. The queues at Schiphol were endless, but not for elite-members...

So yes, my husband now thinks I am very clever! :-D

Xxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.