FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Which hotel chains offer "everything washed" bed linens (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1121826-hotel-chains-offer-everything-washed-bed-linens.html)

Rebelyell Aug 31, 2010 9:04 am

Which hotel chains offer "everything washed" bed linens

I'm just curious which hotel chains offer "everything washed" bed linens in every property. My wife and I love Hilton properties because we know we will never have to sleep under a nasty unwashed bedspread.

Sometimes I will decide to stay in some cut-rate place and end up having trouble sleeping just because I can't stand for the unwashed bed linens to touch me. (When traveling by car, I sometimes take my own duvet so that I can strip the bed to the sheets at a cheaper hotel and just use the duvet).

So which hotels offer their customers clean beds with NO unwashed bedspreads.

WikipediaIsDumb Aug 31, 2010 9:07 am

None. Bring your own blanket. Or bring a king sized sheet so you have a double layer of sheets between the blanket and you.

pittpanther Aug 31, 2010 10:22 am

The question ought to be "why would a hotel think this is not important?"

Who wants to sleep with a spread that was against the mouth of the previous five guests? Why would I want to sleep under a comforter with the drool from a week's worth of strangers on it?

I applaud the Hilton chain for recognizing and doing something positive about this.

gglave Aug 31, 2010 11:29 am

I'm sorry, but I find it hard not to roll my eyes with posts like these.... Has anyone in a name-brand hotel ever caught a disease from an unwashed bedspread?

Seems like in the west we worry about things that would make the rest of the world laugh.

Keep in mind that while I don't recommend you have someone with TB cough on you, the occasional exposure to a variety of 'germs' helps you keep a healthy immune system.

N965VJ Aug 31, 2010 11:35 am

New York Times:

Babies Know: A Little Dirt Is Good for You

slawecki Aug 31, 2010 1:32 pm

some of the chains wash the bedclothes in lye soap. others use something strong.

i carry my own pillowcase, full cover night clothes and socks. i am not a neatnesss freak or a cleanlyness freek, but a rasher. those high energy detergents cause bad rashes on my bod. i can handle germs, but not the modern miricals of proctor and gamble.

Swanhunter Aug 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 14578507)
I'm sorry, but I find it hard not to roll my eyes with posts like these.... Has anyone in a name-brand hotel ever caught a disease from an unwashed bedspread?

Seems like in the west we worry about things that would make the rest of the world laugh.

Keep in mind that while I don't recommend you have someone with TB cough on you, the occasional exposure to a variety of 'germs' helps you keep a healthy immune system.

Indeed. The current obsession with those little packs of sanitizing gel bewilders me. Do you really think you'll die through contact with a door knob?

HIDDY Aug 31, 2010 4:08 pm

If I felt that strongly about cleanliness I wouldn't ever stay in a hotel. You wouldn't believe what can be found lurking in a mattress or carpet. :D

newbiztraveler Aug 31, 2010 6:25 pm

Even if they claim to do it, what makes you think they actually do?

gj83 Aug 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 14580127)
Indeed. The current obsession with those little packs of sanitizing gel bewilders me. Do you really think you'll die through contact with a door knob?

Hospitals in Canada require sanitizer 4 times:
before entering room
before touching the patient
after touching the patient
after leaving the room

Most US ones follow "wash in/wash out" policies so 2 times instead of 4. I think sanitizer companies are making fortunes.

pittpanther Aug 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Check my post - I never once mentioned being afraid of "germs."

So in your world, hotels would change the sheets only once per week? After all, no one ever caught a disease from unchanged sheets.

I'm not afraid of disease - I just don't want to sleep on a stranger's sheets and under a stranger's comforter.

chandi Aug 31, 2010 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 14580952)
Hospitals in Canada require sanitizer 4 times:
before entering room
before touching the patient
after touching the patient
after leaving the room

Most US ones follow "wash in/wash out" policies so 2 times instead of 4. I think sanitizer companies are making fortunes.

Hospitals are quite differnt as the patient may have a suppressed immune system either due to illness, transplant or other factor.

Other than having some gravity assist (i.e. comforter being on top of you) I see no difference to airline seats, car seats etc etc. And as far as I know they ever get washed

Rebelyell Aug 31, 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by pittpanther (Post 14580966)
Check my post - I never once mentioned being afraid of "germs."

So in your world, hotels would change the sheets only once per week? After all, no one ever caught a disease from unchanged sheets.

I'm not afraid of disease - I just don't want to sleep on a stranger's sheets and under a stranger's comforter.

This is my view exactly. I know there are germs all over a hotel room. But the fact is when I go to sleep I do so lying on my back with the covers tucked into my armpits. I find in hotels which don't wash the bedding the bedspread and blankets inevitably end up near or touching my face at some point in the night. I'm sorry, but the idea of having some unwashed piece of bed linen that has been under someone else's armpits brushing up against my face grosses me out and makes me have a hard time sleeping in these dirty hotels.

I don't mind walking on hotel carpet with my bare feet even though I know it's full of germs. I use the remote control. I can even stand a little dirt or mildew in the shower. I can stand everything except dirty, unwashed bed linens touching my body or coming near my face in my sleep. Surely I'm not that odd.

Back to my original question. Which hotel chains have all-washed bedding. Hilton's bedding is all white and I have confidence that it is washed every time, although even if the maid were to cheat and reuse a duvet once it would still be better than the chains which go months between the washing of a bedspread.

Which chains offer everything-washed bedding in all hotels? Which chains require or sometimes require their guests to sleep in beds with dirty, unwashed bedclothes?

Flahusky Aug 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by newbiztraveler (Post 14580929)
Even if they claim to do it, what makes you think they actually do?

I can vouch for the Hampton Inn @ Chincoteague. I've witnessed full bed striping`s including the pull out bed of every room vacated (at least on the side I'm on). My bed linens are changed every 3 days.

tommyleo Aug 31, 2010 10:14 pm

+1. It's amazing what people in privileged societies concoct in order to give themselves something to be concerned about. :rolleyes: