Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which aircraft's engine sound do you like best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which aircraft's engine sound do you like best?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Jets and turboprops just make noise, and they smell funny.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No better aircraft engine noise than a piston radial
Now we're talking! And they leak oil. Everywhere. ^
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The best sound is the engine on the front of my single-engine planes operating in flight. The worst sound would be if it stops....
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Didar56; Apr 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
4 x RR Olympus = Concorde.
+1 on that. I used to work in an office on Bath road alongside the runway at LHR. Always watched it taking off and felt the vibrations from the engines in the building! Amazing and sadly missed.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Anything but the a32x series. Their engines sound like the love child of a hairdryer and a lawn mower...
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by BenA
Their engines sound like the love child of a hairdryer and a lawn mower...
Those engines are used only on the BAe 146.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:10 pm

I love the sound of the distinctive 777 G390s that come past my house on their way past from Gatwick, my second choice has to be the A380s. But I fall in love with the 777s as soon as they take off.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:49 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
The best, multiple big radial engines: Have flown on a B29 (4 engines) in the US, just wow, and purposefully took a longer trip on a local restored DC3 (2 engines) just to get a feel of the old timer sound and experience. Grrrrreat low rumbling sound, I found it extremely relaxing. Modern engines and planes, not so much, the quieter the better (enhanced by noise canceling headphones), worst offenders are turboprops with their high whining sound in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.