Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing seatbelts while seated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Madinat
finally just having it so loose that i was not worth wearing.
There is no such thing. It can keep you in your seat (or sufficiently close to it) if a significant bump comes along.

unfortunately that buckle will always be in the middle, there's no sliding it around to your side, so...yea
If you extend it even 6" - hardly "very loose" you should be able to slide the buckle sufficiently to the side that it will be off your bladder. Plus, it isn't like the buckle is a dumbbell. It weighs a few ounces, not pounds.

I find it very hard to believe that it can actually cause sufficient discomfort to justify not wearing it and the associated risks.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:58 pm

The biggest hazard is cracking your head on the overhead bins if the plane drops abruptly -- you can break your neck. You can also break bones if you're thrown out of your seat.

Even if worn very slack, a seatbelt is going to be some protection against you flying through the cabin.

I always wear it when seated. I also don't "get comfortable" until we reach 10K.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
LOL I actually can't believe the replies either...this is enticing me to start wearing a seat belt while flying. While I'm not in any rush to take it off, it usually comes off at some point (to go in the bin, washroom, etc.) and I end up just leaving it off. I've never experienced turbulence enough to move me out of my seat as described, but I guess I should think about this on my next flight. Wouldn't want to break my neck
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:10 pm
Suspended

I once flew at least 1", maybe 2", off the seat during sudden turbulence. Someone in the lavatory got more banged up. Seatbelts for me!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I always keep mine on, and visible so that I do not get disturbed to check if mine is on or not.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It's a bit bumpy right now so I just tightened it up

(posting on gogo via AS6 )
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I put my belt on as soon as I sit, or after the people sitting next to me have arrived (I try to sit on the aisle). I usually get up once or twice during a flight to stretch, but as soon as I sit I put it back on. I rarely even notice that it is there. I do unbuckle it the instant the seat belt light goes off, though

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Always on for me, even in the rare cases when I'm horizontal across a few seats. I buckle the seatbelt diagonally (half from one seat, half from another) over the blanket. Can't be too safe I suppose and it's not too inconvenient.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Alway on since reading Michael Crichton's grraphic description of unbuckeld passengers flying throught the cabin in his novel Airframe.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Always on - if I'm lucky to get an empty row on a long flight, I expand as far as I need to be able to wear it lying horizontal.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tingalex
So, who wears their seatbelts while seated throughout a flight? As soon as the fasten-seatbelt sign turns off, do you immediately unbuckle the seatbelt? Do you keep it on throughout the flight? Do you always wear it during takeoff and landing?

Any thoughts?
I leave mine on the whole flight. I have flown long enough to know there can be nasty surprises. "No warning" turbulence does exist. I am not fat, and the belt doesn't bother me so I barely notice it.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:39 am

I applaud the person who doesn't wear their seatbelt for saying so - at least he is being honest and admits to it, not something easy to do on a thread like this where a bit of friendly bashing could occur.

As a crew member I see dozens of seat belts not fastened - it's my biggest pet peeve but you would be surprised at how many don't wear it - so would be interested to know other reasons - come on - don't be shy!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:53 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Always on unless I am going to the loo. When asleep it is on outside of the blanket so I can sleep without being disturbed.

I've read too many stories where people get seriously injured in turbulence when not wearing their belt.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I always use the belts. When i had my own jet it had a seat belt in the loo, too, which was actually certified for use during takeoff and landing, although nobody ever did that, to my knowledge. I've always been slightly mystified why the large A/C do not have belts in the loos too.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: BA, EI & VS
unfortunately that buckle will always be in the middle, there's no sliding it around to your side, so...yea
I think it's EI or VS (can't remember), but one of them have their buckles off-centered; I find it extremely annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.