Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Benefits of Online Check-in even without printer access?

Old Aug 10, 10, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Is there a benefit to using the online check-in if you cannot print out boarding passes (no access to a printer right before the flight).
Old Aug 10, 10, 2:27 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Gold
Yes, then you can go to the airport and get your boarding pass at one of the airlines kiosk, thereby saving you time standing in line. If you have luggage to check then it may be a different story, depending on the airline.
Old Aug 10, 10, 3:55 pm

On AC flights, you can change your seats to better ones that are held for release at the beginning of the online-checkin period.
Old Aug 10, 10, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Too bad they don't have scales at those kiosks so you could weigh your bags and print out the tags for them. The baggage check line really slows things down.
Old Aug 10, 10, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
This is where the mobile phone boarding pass pays off. No paper to keep track of. Of course if you lose you phone.....
Old Aug 11, 10, 11:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by skiflyer View Post
Is there a benefit to using the online check-in if you cannot print out boarding passes (no access to a printer right before the flight).
what others have said but if i do not have access to a printer, i always save a pdf of my olci bp "just in case" there are any seating issues which occur between the time i olci and re-print my bp at the airport (and even if i do have access to a printer, i always (n.b. always) re-print my bp at the airport just in case there were in fact any issues (i.e. a/c swap or irrops) between olci and arrival the airport.
Old Aug 11, 10, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
This may vary by airline, but on AA, if you miss the check-in cutoff for the flight (usually 30 minutes) and are not checked in, then you won't be allowed on the flight. But if you've done an OLCI, the counter agent can still do a boarding pass "reprint".

Also, in some cases, like standby or flight cancellation, passengers may be accomodated (within status level) based on check-in time.
Old Aug 11, 10, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sobore View Post
This is where the mobile phone boarding pass pays off. No paper to keep track of. Of course if you lose you phone.....
Mobile phone BP needs to be read by special scanner at TSA check-point.
I found 50% of the time there is no scanner and the other 50% of the time the scanner doesn't read it probably due to the different devices display setting.
I always have a hard copy of my BP. Not fun if you are sent back to check in to get one.

YMMV
Old Aug 15, 10, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA, EI & VS
I love Online Check-In facilities, u can check in usually from 24 hours before actual flight departure online, choose a good seat and either print ur boarding pass or wait until u get to the airport. I think it makes it easier for the check-in agent, less chance of them becoming moody, though with regards to mobile boarding pass, I'm still waiting for VS to have that facility.

Best practice - Sure if it's a domestic flight, one usually doesn't have to go back to the airline's check-in desk at the airport unless u don't have a boarding pass or u got luggage to check-in, but on international flights, even with a boarding pass, it's best u go to the desk so they can check ur passport, do the required visa check or add ur bag tag numbers if u're in transit, saves having ur name called at the boarding gate.
Old Aug 15, 10, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
On some airlines your checkin time will affect your position on various wait-lists as well.
Old Aug 15, 10, 7:17 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by bdesmond View Post
On some airlines your checkin time will affect your position on various wait-lists as well.
I always check in online as early as I can, exactly for this reason. Check-in time along with status and fare class affect the upgrade list on AC.

I never print the BP at home though. I used to, but I figure it's a waste of my paper and ink.
Old Aug 15, 10, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
According to legend, BA will start considering folks for upgrades based on check-in time.

They see someone checking in at 24 hours as a confirmed passenger and it fits into their calculations.

Worked for me last year when I checked in for a JNB-LHR flight 24 hours out. I got to the airport several hours before the checkin even started (long story) and inquired at the ticket sales about the possibility of upgrading from Y-Y+ money. The agent looked in the computer and looked back at me and and announced "But Mr Gamecock, you are already in J!"
Old Aug 16, 10, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Silver, AVIS First
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Also, in some cases, like standby or flight cancellation, passengers may be accomodated (within status level) based on check-in time.
This happened to me on United at CLE... 2 passengers had to be bumped from a flight due to the plane being "over weight" from too much checked baggage. I was one of the two people bumped because I was one of the last two people to check in. At least that was their story at the gate.

(FWIW, seems to me it would've been a better plan to bump other passengers' BAGS and let me and the other guy on the flight, rather than bump actual PEOPLE from the plane so that everyone else's luggage could arrive on the same plane they rode on. Grrrrrr....)
Old Aug 17, 10, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Two words: Seat Selection.
Or...Seat Improvement, if you can grab elite seats that have opened up or grab a good seat from an elite who has gotten upgraded.
Old Aug 18, 10, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Mobile phone BP needs to be read by special scanner at TSA check-point.
I found 50% of the time there is no scanner and the other 50% of the time the scanner doesn't read it probably due to the different devices display setting.
I always have a hard copy of my BP. Not fun if you are sent back to check in to get one.

YMMV
That is correct. Mobile BPs are great but not without issues: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...-for-airports/. To be the biggest reason to check-in online is to, Check-in. It 'guarantees' you a seat, allows you to pick a seat, sets your position in line for upgrades, waiting list, etc.

Search this Thread