Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

International / Domestic Airline Switch

International / Domestic Airline Switch

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Question International / Domestic Airline Switch

Newbie here...

I will be flying CLE-ORD-PEK-CGO in the next couple of weeks and had a curious question. The CLE-ORD-PEK part will be with Continental and I know they allow two checked bags since it's an international itinerary. However once I get to PEK I switch airlines (since Continental doesn't go to CGO) to a local one (China Southern). The tickets were purchased by the school I will be going to and the itinerary their travel agent sent them has all of the flights on it.

My question is this -- I know most airlines will allow the same baggage allowance on domestic flights as long as there's an international destination involved. Do you think that China Southern will see that my original flight was from an international location and let me take two checked bags aboard? Or will they only see their part and charge me for the second bag?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If it is a single itinerary booked all at once then CO should be able to tag the bags all the way through, assuming you are flying through to CGO without stopping in PEK for any significant length of time. If you have a stopover in PEK then you're subject to the policies of China Southern; I don't know what they do and do not permit in this regard. I know that CO would consider it a domestic flight and charge you but that's not particularly relevant.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:19 am

1- CO will tag the bags all the way through
2- CZ (China Southern) doesn't charge for 2 bags, so its a non-issue.
3- (You will still have to pick your bags up at PEK and re-check them with CZ, so it doesn't matter if CO tags them or not because CZ and CO go from different terminals)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
and FYI, CO doesn't actually fly CLE-ORD-PEK so you are probably on UA (CO code-share).
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the answers and the welcome My friend showed me this website and for the most part I've been lurking but just now started posting. Should hopefully achieve Premier status after this trip!

My bad... it's CLE-EWR-PEK, not ORD (that was my last trip)

SirJman -- they don't charge for the second bag? When I went through their rulebook it said that the first bag would be free and the second is charged. If that's the case then you're right, it's a non-issue.

Last edited by navarre007; Aug 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.