Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Early ESTA renewal?

Early ESTA renewal?

Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Early ESTA renewal?

My ESTA travel authorization will expire in January 2011, two years after the introduction. Can I apply for a new now?

If not, I would pay $14 for renewal in the beginning of 2011, and $14 again when my passport expires later in 2011. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:49 am

You can renew anytime, you'll just get a new number.^
Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
OK, so now that is taken care of. No problems whatsoever ^, the new one will expire the same date as my passport (so I saved $14 ).
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by tourist
My ESTA travel authorization will expire in January 2011, two years after the introduction. Can I apply for a new now?

If not, I would pay $14 for renewal in the beginning of 2011, and $14 again when my passport expires later in 2011. Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.
I wasn't aware there was any any charge for an ESTA. Mine certainly did not cost anything. Are there charges for certain countries?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
No, it's been introduced across the board from 8 September. Renew now!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes, renew now, I just renewed all ours no problem, a minor "victory" on a slow Sunday morning over the government
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tuapekastar
I wasn't aware there was any any charge for an ESTA. Mine certainly did not cost anything. Are there charges for certain countries?
The tourist tax of US$14 starts 8 September 2010.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
No, it's been introduced across the board from 8 September. Renew now!
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yes, renew now, I just renewed all ours no problem, a minor "victory" on a slow Sunday morning over the government
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The tourist tax of US$14 starts 8 September 2010.
Ah, thanks! Given my anticipated travel plans it may be worth my while renewing my 3-month old ESTA before 8 September!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:25 am

How does renewal work?

How do you actually "re-new"? I accessed my ESTA (valid until Feb 2011) and all I could do was update some information (which I didn't do). So, you update, say, your airline and then it is valid another two years from today or how does it work?

It's useless by the way to contact the US embassy, they wouldn't respond and if they had to they would be scared that their response could be used against them in a class-action lawsuit....
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteG
How do you actually "re-new"? I accessed my ESTA (valid until Feb 2011) and all I could do was update some information (which I didn't do). So, you update, say, your airline and then it is valid another two years from today or how does it work?

It's useless by the way to contact the US embassy, they wouldn't respond and if they had to they would be scared that their response could be used against them in a class-action lawsuit....
No, do not update. Apply for a new one (left column on the entry page) and get a new number. The new one will be valid until August 2012 or the expiration date of your passport if that is earlier.

And, with my old one, I made the "mistake" of filling out the optional information about airline/first night address from the beginning, and after that felt it was best to update that information for each trip. This time I left all of the optional stuff empty so I don't have to bother updating.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:58 am

I see, thanks. But then I'll wait until a few days before September 8 to get the max out of it.

And I'll take it back; the US embassy did reply:

"You may re-apply for ESTA authorization as often as you wish, with each new approved application possessing a two-year validity date (or until passport expires). "

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.