Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flying To Europe Tonight (8/3)? Great Aurora Expected!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying To Europe Tonight (8/3)? Great Aurora Expected!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Thumbs up Flying To Europe Tonight (8/3)? Great Aurora Expected!

From MSNBC site:

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory has captured what appears to be a disturbance in the force - on the sun. Astronomers say Sunday morning's eruption sent out a blast of electrically charged particles that should create brilliant auroral displays on Tuesday night.

"This eruption is directed right at us, and is expected to get here early in the day on August 4th," astronomer Leon Golub said in a statement from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

The biggest impact from Sunday's solar storm is expected to be that killer light show: Observers in the northern tier of the United States and similar latitudes should be on the watch for rippling waves of reddish or greenish light in the night sky. And who knows? The northern lights have been known to dip down to Colorado or even farther south on occasion.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...s-tonight?bn=1

I'll be out of bed getting ready for work at 0300 (UTC -4) and I'm hopeful I'll remember to include camera in lunch bag offerings.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
When my husband and I were flying to Kiev I looked at the sky map and thought "Wow, we are really far north. I wonder if I can see the northern lights?" When I looked outside the window it seemed like we were flying in shimmering green curtains--we were right in the thick of it. I can't believe the captain didn't pull the tour guide thing and point it out. Maybe because most everyone was asleep? Or perhaps they just see it so often it doesn't register with them to tell anyone.

I spent an hour just staring out the window until we headed south and they faded away. Magic.

/Aurora Borealis, how the f does that work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.