Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First-class cabin in movie 'Inception'

Old Jul 21, 10, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises

In the recently released movie 'Inception' with Leonardo DiCaprio, there is a scene (or several) in the first class cabin located in the nose of a 747. Wondering if anybody knows what airline, if any? The decor was very modern and sleek, also Swiss. But it could have passed for a business class cabin, however.

It was interesting to note why they choose to fly first class and DiCaprio's character explains it quite well: pilot is on the upper deck, the first class is located in the nose where no one walks through, and has few seats, so their traveling party will not be disturbed. I won't spoil it for everyone why they do not want to be disturbed! But rarely do the script writers get such details right. And most "first" class cabins seems business class cabins from the 1990s in many movies.
Old Jul 21, 10, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
It's the first class cabin on the QANTAS A380. I found it funny that they made such a big deal about having to be on a 747, yet they used an A380 for the cabin.

MILD SPOILER ALERT:

Given that the airline doesn't come off so well in the film (at least in terms of passenger safety and security) I wonder if the initial plan was to make it product placement but then when QANTAS saw the finished product they demanded that their name and references to the A380 be removed.
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
It's the first class cabin on the QANTAS A380. I found it funny that they made such a big deal about having to be on a 747, yet they used an A380 for the cabin.

MILD SPOILER ALERT:

Given that the airline doesn't come off so well in the film (at least in terms of passenger safety and security) I wonder if the initial plan was to make it product placement but then when QANTAS saw the finished product they demanded that their name and references to the A380 be removed.
Are you sure about that? It looks nothing like it.
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL GM
I doubt that was the case. I don't think I saw much (if any) product placement in the movie and the guy that they're working for says that he purchased the airline to make sure that they could carry out their plan.
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
I loved the client's solution to booking the entire cabin. "I bought the airline." For the cost of what an entire cabin of FC Melbourne to LA tix might cost, it probably proved to be more cost effective to just buy the airline.
Old Jul 22, 10, 12:19 am

That is not a Qantas A380 First Suite although there is one or two design features that would lead someone to that conclusion. I personally think it is a fictional seat made for the movie.

Here is a picture from the movie
Old Jul 22, 10, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
It's definitely the nose of a 747. When they are setting up their "equipment", that much is clear (one sees the closet and there are seats in the middle and then the window seats taper inwards. So not an A380 I think.
Old Jul 22, 10, 12:34 pm

i thought that it was a fictional set up because if they used a traditional first class suite, it would have been hard to "connect" everyone with the wires.

i think the film makers just used a set and made the seats in a business class model so that they could all get connected.
Old Jul 22, 10, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL, Hilton GLD, IHG PLT
Next time if I see my F cabin completely filled up by men in suits, I'd make sure I don't go to sleep.
Old Jul 22, 10, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by adamak View Post
Next time if I see my F cabin completely filled up by men in suits, I'd make sure I don't go to sleep.
I'd be almost surprised not to see my F cabin filled with men in suits.
Old Jul 22, 10, 2:45 pm

Filming inside actual airworthy aircraft is rare, simply because it's too hard to set up the lights and cameras. They usually use retired aircraft that are cut into sections which can be removed for setting up shots.

Aviation Warehouse is one prop/set provider, just as an example.
Old Jul 23, 10, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Looks to me more like a modified version of the NZ J seat; at least that's what I thought when I saw the movie. (Could be virgin modified too)

I agree though that it is most likely fictional.
Old Jul 24, 10, 1:07 am

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Definitely fictional. The seats are facing towards the interior, whereas in any F they're pointing towards the windows. This was clearly for better shots.
Old Jul 24, 10, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
It looks a lot like NZ business class without the wall with the TV.

Last edited by ceaton; Jul 24, 10 at 9:05 pm
Old Aug 3, 10, 3:28 am

These seats are not the Qantas A380 First seats, as has been said. I am an architect interested in product design and was watching the seats closely during the film. They don't look like anything that would have been constructed by the filmmakers. I think they come from either Contour or BE Aerospace...both have this type of herringbone seat. My guess is that the production had the seats made, but for visual reasons they chose not to have the partition walls and larger armrests installed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: