Reload this Page >

Tell me the airlines are making money

Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I fly Continental every week for work. Every flight I'm on is completely full, if not oversold. I know the airlines have scaled back frequency due to the fuel price increase, but I ask myself every time...they must be profitable?

Are they?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
On the verge, but full planes are obviously no indicator of profitability.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Second Quarter Earnings Announcement Expected: ALK has confirmed that earnings will be announced 07/22/2010. With 13 analysts covering ALK, the consensus EPS estimate is $2.08, and the high and low estimates are $2.35 and $1.90, respectively.

Second Quarter Earnings Announcement Expected: LFL Earnings will tentatively be announced 07/27/2010. With 4 analysts covering LFL, the consensus EPS estimate is $0.16, and the high and low estimates are $0.27 and $0.10, respectively.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
On the verge, but full planes are obviously no indicator of profitability.
& the debt loads that many airlines have, plus dealing with unions & price of fuel, ugh.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:54 am

IIRC, SQ has posted profits every year since the SARS scare. Though their accounting rules and degree of state involvement may be fairly different than those which apply to US-based carriers.

As for fuel prices, they have been relatively stable for the past year (between $60 and $80 / bbl). IMHO, if the legacy US carriers cannot turn a profit in Q2 / Q3 2010, there are serious questions as to whether they can consistently turn a profit in ANY economic situation.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greenery-travel
As for fuel prices, they have been relatively stable for the past year (between $60 and $80 / bbl).
There is more to fuel price than bbl costs. JET-A was up 34% in May 2010 v May 2009, according to the folks at BTS.gov. http://twitter.com/TransportStats/status/18443368419

That's a big increase.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:55 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Go to any finance web site and look up airlines.

Some stock symbols of well known US-based airline companies:

AAI AirTran
ALK Alaska Airlines
AMR American Airlines
CAL Continental Airlines
DAL Delta Airlines
JBLU Jet Blue Airways
LUV Southwest Airlines
LCC US Airways
UAUA United Airlines

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.