FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   when did airlines stop using plastic tube headphones? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1104400-when-did-airlines-stop-using-plastic-tube-headphones.html)

MiloDrinker Jul 11, 10 5:14 pm

when did airlines stop using plastic tube headphones?

I was cleaning out my attict and found a couple pairs of airline plastic tube headphones that I probably stole more than 20 years ago. (said Northwest Orient)

when did airlines stop using these antiques? are they worth anything on eBay? :D

cordelli Jul 11, 10 5:54 pm

1979. They were pretty much all made by a company called Avid in Rhode Island.

sbm12 Jul 11, 10 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 14281869)
1979. They were pretty much all made by a company called Avid in Rhode Island.

It can't have been that early because I remember flying on planes that had them.

MiloDrinker Jul 11, 10 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14281898)
It can't have been that early because I remember flying on planes that had them.

the unused pair that I have are still in "Northwest Orient" bag..... probably 1983 or 1984.... :)

on an unrelated note, I'm now officially scared of Google. I posted this thread and it appeared in Google search results within one hour? :(

CPRich Jul 11, 10 6:16 pm

I'm sure I used plastic tube 'phones as late as the early '80s. if not earlier. I'm sure it was later than '79.

Your post was probably on Google much earlier than an hour later. They post real-time feeds from Twitter, news sites, etc., when you search on a breaking topic. I wouldn't be afraid of a search engine just because it's very good.

specialeffects Jul 11, 10 6:28 pm

Lot Polish airlines still has them on the 767 operated on the ORD-WAW route. I had the great fortune:rolleyes: to use them this year (only in Y).

alanh Jul 11, 10 6:31 pm

The Delta 757 I flew on last week (first flight 1990) still had a pneumatic socket in addition to the two-prong electronic socket. Too bad I didn't have your set with me, I could have seen if it still worked.

Lightweight Walkman-style headphones killed them off; prior to that, all headphones were the jumbo over-the-ears type. The pneumatic system let them leave the bulky speakers in the armrest.

cordelli Jul 11, 10 6:51 pm

1979 was the first conversion. They did not convert every plane in the sky overnight, so there was a period of time till they converted the last one. I don't know how long that took, I only know when the first electronic one was installed.

avsfan733 Jul 11, 10 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by alanh (Post 14282004)
The Delta 757 I flew on last week (first flight 1990) still had a pneumatic socket in addition to the two-prong electronic socket. Too bad I didn't have your set with me, I could have seen if it still worked.

They still work...at least on the UA Airbus I was on last month. The person inbound in my seat must have been half deaf. The armrest was up when I got into my seat, and I could hear the speaker playing with it next to my head through the airports. I loved those things when I was a kid.

CMK10 Jul 12, 10 5:50 pm

I used them on AA DC-10s up through 1996 and am pretty sure I used them on Delta 767-200s in 1998. Those were the last I saw of them.

N965VJ Jul 12, 10 6:44 pm

In the 80s, a catalog retailer (The Sharper Image, IIRC) sold an electronic adapter that looked like a Walkman that plugged into the sound ports so you could use "real" headphones. I really wanted one, but it was expensive! :eek:

bitburgr Jul 12, 10 6:51 pm

I can remember using them on a UA flight around 1990.

gfunkdave Jul 12, 10 6:56 pm

I don't think I've seen them in 7 or 8 years.

greenery-travel Jul 12, 10 7:21 pm

I used to fly DL a lot in the early 2000s and saw the tubes as recently as then. Perhaps on a 727 or L10-11.

nkedel Jul 12, 10 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr (Post 14288051)
I can remember using them on a UA flight around 1990.

Yeah; I definitely used them at some point in the 1988-1991 period, probably as late as Summer 1991, which would have been on UA. I can't remember whether or not I saw them when I was just starting to fly on my own around 93-94, although if they had them then, they disappeared swiftly after that - I do not remember seeing them in the 95+ period when I was flying very regularly.

Originally Posted by greenery-travel (Post 14288196)
I used to fly DL a lot in the early 2000s and saw the tubes as recently as then. Perhaps on a 727 or L10-11.

In use, or just remaining outlets for them?