Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

when did airlines stop using plastic tube headphones?

when did airlines stop using plastic tube headphones?

Old Jul 13, 10, 6:36 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I got news for all of you. Earlier this year I flew CGK-CAN on a CZ A319. The plane was newish and the cabin was a more or less newish modern typical narrow body. I would have figured the plane wasn't more than 5 years old or else had had a full cabin retrofit within the last 5 years. It was nice for an A319. In any case entertainment consisted of ordinary narrow cabin style motorized flip down LCD flat screens from the overheads....... AND PLASTIC STETHOSCOPE STYLE TUBULAR HEADPHONES where the tubes plugged into the armrest. Not joking at all. Just like back in the 70's. They worked decent enough except the tubes collapsed a little if they twisted wrong. There was a chanel dial on the armrest with English and Chinese channels for the overhead TV's and a number of channels of music.

So I presume they make them in China to this day and if you want to try them on a new plane try a CZ A319. No word of whether Bose has an adapter
Old Jul 13, 10, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by nkedel View Post
In use, or just remaining outlets for them?
in use; 727s and L10-11s were quite old by the time DL retired them a few yrs ago.
Old Jul 13, 10, 12:11 pm

I received some on Air China ARN-PEK-ARN in June 2001.
Old Jul 13, 10, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 6MM, FRMNT PLT, MRT GLD, HYT PLT
What a flashback. I have a photo of myself as a kid wearing some of these in the early '80s.
Old Jul 13, 10, 12:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They are still being made today, they are used in medical facilities like MRI centers where they can't have metal while they are testing. You can spend hundreds on noise isolation ones that can be autoclaved, etc.
Old Jul 13, 10, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jujubean71 View Post
What a flashback. I have a photo of myself as a kid wearing some of these in the early '80s.
I have one too, the AA ones were this awful blue color and they contrast badly with my light brown hair and very pale young face

Search this Thread
Search Engine: