Community
Wiki Posts
Search

dissertation topic

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

dissertation topic

I am writing my dissertation in travel. Either Business travel or luxury hotels in London. Any ideas? Please help.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
There's got to be something in the current BA industrial dispute that's interesting to look at - the rise (and fall) of trade unions in the aviation business, impact on the negotiations of recessionary pressures, change management in a corporate monolith, effect of industrial dispute on business travel, the apparent contradiction of FR planes being wet-leased to operate s/haul BA services during the strike - how much subsequent leakage of business from BA to FR?

Etc, etc...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Do it on business travel. Tons of scope for dissertation pontification there. Attitude of particular companies, if Fortune 500, compare it to CEO's pay, execs mode of travel, morale in the company as a result of policy, any patterns with certain companies, compare airlines and the entire experience from the minute you leave your front door to the minute you are home, regularity, see if you can relate the success of a company to how well it treats it employees when they travel, or how successful they are. Good luck.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by london2010
I am writing my dissertation in travel. Either Business travel or luxury hotels in London. Any ideas? Please help.
Welcome to FT, london2010.

Does your dissertation chairperson/major professor have some ideas on what you should study? It usually a safe idea to see what his/her research interests are and stay in that general area.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
How 'bout airlines and travel companies in Chapter 11, consequences, remedies, solutions/government solutions/consumer solutions?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How about not asking anonymous strangers with unknown research qualifications for academic advice? Talk to your advisor.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How about not asking anonymous strangers with unknown research qualifications for academic advice? Talk to your advisor.
+1
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
On a similar note, I would like to write a novel that will make me wealthy. Any ideas for plot, characters and setting? Please help.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

What level dissertation are you talking about? Bachelor's, master's, or doctorate? (People use the term dissertation to mean different things in different parts of the "English"-speaking world.)
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Do it on business travel. Tons of scope for dissertation pontification there. Attitude of particular companies, if Fortune 500, compare it to CEO's pay, execs mode of travel, morale in the company as a result of policy, any patterns with certain companies, compare airlines and the entire experience from the minute you leave your front door to the minute you are home, regularity, see if you can relate the success of a company to how well it treats it employees when they travel, or how successful they are. Good luck.
+1

I'd be interested in understanding how airlines are adjusting to the reality that "businesses" are increasingly unwilling to pay for "business" class, contracted rate or otherwise.

There are many ways to approach this topic, and getting interviews with company travel planners should be easy. If you could get only one airline to spill its guts (much more difficult), you'd be well on your way to crafting a compelling paper (if I was your advisor).
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: AA-1MM
Given that you are London based, the term 'dissertation' usually deals with an honours degree or a masters...advice can be pretty scant for honours and some masters programs in London, depending upon your degree program and the university....making an appointment with your adviser is still the best bet......

However, you have provided few details as to your course of study and little idea as to what aspect of business travel or luxury hotels you are investigating. Depending upon your course of study and the aspect you have chosen, I could perhaps assist.....but I (we) need to know more.....

Please send a PM with any details or questions, if you wish and welcome to FT.....
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the comments. I am not asking anyone to write my dissertation (for my Barchelor's Degree) I wanted to know any ideas related to business travel or luxury hotels. I am really interested in problems or issues which I can write about.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by london2010
Thank you for the comments. I am not asking anyone to write my dissertation (for my Barchelor's Degree) I wanted to know any ideas related to business travel or luxury hotels. I am really interested in problems or issues which I can write about.
Start digging into your school's archives. Find a dissertation that was written many years ago on "travel". Take the opposite position. Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.