FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Most unflattering FA uniforms (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1101733-most-unflattering-fa-uniforms.html)

Mr H Jul 5, 2010 7:36 am

I like the OZ winter uniforms.

Swanhunter Jul 5, 2010 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy (Post 14237065)
Does BA still have those ugly shirts and blouses? I haven't patronized BA in several years.

No. Now a very smart suit option.

For me, a toss up between AA and UA for the worst.

WChou Jul 5, 2010 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 14243206)
The smocks are actually made to be worn by pregnant FAs. Maybe that is why it is so unflattering!

The design makes sense for a pregnant FA. But I do not recall any of the FAs wearing them being pregnant. Overall the designs seem stale. Not sure who makes the uniforms but they either wear quickly or AA is stingy on uniform allowances. Many times the uniforms looks like second hand clothing.

Scousie Jul 7, 2010 3:27 pm

I thought the uniforms on KLM staff looked like they were made from cheap and nasty material... poor FAs!

Cow 98765 Jul 7, 2010 5:34 pm

In the 1980's, an Air France steward gave me the wings from his uniform. He said that they did not have plastic wings but he handed me his. I was shocked!

Next time I am travelling on Air France, should I ask for the flight attendant's bra? Will she kick me then have me arrested? :eek:

flyman182 Jul 9, 2010 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scousie (Post 14260097)
I thought the uniforms on KLM staff looked like they were made from cheap and nasty material... poor FAs!

Couldn't agree more about the KLM uniforms. The material appears to be highly flammable and is colored a shade of blue not found in nature.

DeJar Jul 9, 2010 5:21 pm

What About Air New Zealand?

For my part, I kinda like some of the Bare Essentials uniforms, but let's keep the flight deck crew in something more... modest.

Daawgon Jul 9, 2010 6:13 pm

OZ is my airline of choice, but I do agree that the female FA uniform is right out of the 1950's, and enough of the beige - time for an update.

Daawgon Jul 9, 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzop (Post 14241641)
Ever since age and weight limits for FAs were lifted in the '60s, I'm afraid the problem is not just the uniforms...

Truer works were never spoken!

skylady Jul 10, 2010 1:01 am

It is too bad that even the skinny girls can't look cute in these uniforms!

LTN Phobia Jul 10, 2010 3:47 pm

I've just been looking through the uniforms website and I was thinking to myself, "I wouldn't like to be caught dead in 70% of the current uniforms... too frumpy/boring!"

Gamecock Jul 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by WChou (Post 14236756)
AA

Like I've recounted before. I once watched a KL and LH crew pass me in a terminal at DFW. Every person looked like they stepped off a fashion runway. Then I passed an AA crew. It looked like a senior citizen bus headed to the bingo parlor after stopping off at the Salvation Army thrift store.

^

I am in and out of the FRA airport a couple of times a month and am stunned at how good some uniforms look.

And then I head over to AA....

dcutcher Jul 16, 2010 6:00 pm

I guess one could observe:

that wearing a uniform was just something that an FA could predict as going with the territory, and not really a terrible surprise nor an imposition.
But I heard it when my (female) FA friend told me how depressing it was for her to pull the same garb on every day she flew.
And I also observe that trying to do some of the physically demanding stuff (bending, crouching, pushing/pulling heavy carts in a confined area up a grade) dressed in clothing styled more for a fashion show catwalk doesn't really make sense.
Yes, yes, I know, it's all about branding and image, but some do it better than others, apparently.:rolleyes:

Izzy24 Jul 17, 2010 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Jazzop (Post 14241641)
Ever since age and weight limits for FAs were lifted in the '60s, I'm afraid the problem is not just the uniforms...

Originally Posted by lancebanyon (Post 14241781)
That depends on who you're flying. That EK flight crew was smoking, even with the bad uniforms.

Agreed. The primary factor in how good a uniform looks is the individual wearing it. Lipstick on a pig, as they say.

kazt11 Jul 24, 2010 4:44 am

Originally Posted by WChou (Post 14236756)
AA

Like I've recounted before. I once watched a KL and LH crew pass me in a terminal at DFW. Every person looked like they stepped off a fashion runway. Then I passed an AA crew. It looked like a senior citizen bus headed to the bingo parlor after stopping off at the Salvation Army thrift store. The one piece smocks are especially unflattering. Each crew member can mix and match their uniform leading to a very disorganized look. Whatever material they use seems to wear quickly leading to a threadbare appearance to an outdated design.

EDIT: A site with FA uniforms.

^:D LOL!!! couldnt agree more.