Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

how safe is it to drink water from faucet in airplane lavatories?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

how safe is it to drink water, or simply to rinse out your mouth after brushing your teeth, from faucet in airplane lavatories?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Well, I choose not to drink it....

http://aircrewhealth.com/Topics/haza...terquality.htm

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...re-you-drink/1

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-the-water.cfm

Stay healthy please!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
It is not potable water ...

You should ask the FA for some bottled water to wet your brush and rinse your mouth out.

Drek

More info at: http://aircrewhealth.com/Topics/haza...terquality.htm
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There have been stories that unless you see them open the bottled water that is even questionable water.

I would not trust it, probably nothing will happen, but it's not worth the risk.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Very dangerous! One second of turbulence and *BAM* you lose a tooth.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:01 pm

I had a quick read of the links posted above but I'm still not sure exactly what the problem is with airplane water. Would it be fair to say that the water from taps on a plane is as good as the water at the destinations it visits? That is, if a plane only ever did round trips between LAX and NYC then I'd be fine drinking the water? The water isn't just pumped out of the nearest lake?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Apparently it is known, at least to former Pan Am crew as "Galley Springs". Be wary when flying in the US if the water is dispensed from a pitcher rather than a bottle, but I know that some crew have been known to refill the bottles from the on-board supply.

Nasty!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:18 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by marble
Would it be fair to say that the water from taps on a plane is as good as the water at the destinations it visits? That is, if a plane only ever did round trips between LAX and NYC then I'd be fine drinking the water?
Planes don't fly closed loops such as just back and forth between LAX and NYC so it's a bit of a non-starter, but even if they did, the problem is not necessarily with the immediate source of the water, but the holding tanks on the planes. If bacteria gets into the tanks, it can be difficult to clean them. The bacteria can then build up and contaminate the water that's introduced to the tanks.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Many airplanes have a placard in the lav indicating that the water is not potable. Even if the source of the water is safe, in order to inhibit bacterial and algal growth, they treat the holding tanks with chemicals that are not good for you.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Don't do it. Studies have shown that airline faucet water contains more bacteria than public toilet water. Of course, if drinking from toilets doesn't bother you, then go ahead & enjoy!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GfL
I always use the sink water to rinse out my mouth after brushing my teeth on the plane (I am fairly fanatical about brushing after every meal). No issues, ever.

I also think all that stupid hand sanitizer everywhere is the biggest scam of the 21st century.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I just ask the FA for a can of soda water. I like rinsing with something fizzy.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I always use the sink water to rinse out my mouth after brushing my teeth on the plane (I am fairly fanatical about brushing after every meal). No issues, ever.
All the sea monkeys living in the tanks must have strengthened your immune system.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by N965VJ
All the sea monkeys living in the tanks must have strengthened your immune system.
That, or 22 years of constant travel to developing countries. My stomach is like iron
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by marble
I had a quick read of the links posted above but I'm still not sure exactly what the problem is with airplane water. Would it be fair to say that the water from taps on a plane is as good as the water at the destinations it visits? That is, if a plane only ever did round trips between LAX and NYC then I'd be fine drinking the water? The water isn't just pumped out of the nearest lake?
Eurgh. The tanks are rarely if ever fully emptied. The dregs become brackish. The temperature rises and falls, making the tanks breeding grounds for microbial pests. Source water comes from any number of stations -- and consider the delivery system; tanks or casks mounted on airport vehicles, probably no cleaner, maybe worse.

I'd never drink that stuff, and I never accept water from open pitchers because I have seen FAs refill them from lav taps.

Bottom line: if you get on a plane and find encrusted bodily fluids on the seat fabrics, snot smeared on the cabin walls, rotten food and discarded nose-blowing tissues in the seat pockets, remnants of baby feces from in-seat diaper changing, etc., etc., and that's the visible filth they're ignoring... imagine how much care they take to keep the (invisible) water tanks shipshape. Yuck.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, VS Red, BA Blue
So if there is bacteria in the tanks, isn't it getting passed onto us when we wash our hands?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.