Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Unrealistic minimum connection times -- why?

Unrealistic minimum connection times -- why?

Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
I agree--the MCTs listed are ridiculous, especially for large airports. My rule of thumb is to allow at the very minimum a hour for domestic-to-domestic connections. For international-to-domestic connections, I'd allow about 2 hours.
My rule of thumb is 1,5hrs within same terminal, 2hrs if change of terminals is needed, 2,5hrs if immigration is required (e.g. flying LHR-ORD-PDX I will make sure connection in ORD is more than 2,5 hours). Exception is IAD where I will not agree to connect unless its 3 hours - most of which I am sure will be spent in immigration line . I put these requirements to travel agent upfront before making a booking.

it sometimes make sense to allow extra 30 minutes if your flight depart from congested airport like LHR as chances of delays are quite likely.

The problem is that most airlines are oblivious to these facts when they schedule their services or sell tickets. OS is most notorious for that - I frequently see options with 30 minute connection time in VIE, which is possible but rarely achievable.

AX
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l
I can't believe some airlines would force you onto routings that don't give you some choice of connecting times.
If you are an airline, would you rather sell a ticket with a connection that may or may not be possible or let passenger walk away? I am almost certain that its one of the reasons these connections are offered by airlines.
Worst thing they can be out of pocket for is to book you overnight in $40 hotel and provide you with the $25 meal voucher ($65 in total). compare that with let's say lost sale of international ticket for $800. it's same logic why they oversell (some people may not turn up - some people may make connection).
AX
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by AX9465
If you are an airline, would you rather sell a ticket with a connection that may or may not be possible or let passenger walk away? I am almost certain that its one of the reasons these connections are offered by airlines.
Worst thing they can be out of pocket for is to book you overnight in $40 hotel and provide you with the $25 meal voucher ($65 in total). compare that with let's say lost sale of international ticket for $800. it's same logic why they oversell (some people may not turn up - some people may make connection).
AX
I guess that makes sense, although in an EU jurisdiction the compensation payable is a bit more than what you describe (if I interpret that regulation correctly).

As you mention, I'm sure the airlines do their risk analysis (how many people would they expect to misconnect on certain itineraries, how much would they be up for compensation etc.)

Also, it wasn't so much as saying here is a choice (tough cookie) or go away, but rather giving passengers a range of choices for connecting flights. For example, if you had a domestic going to international flight, a single business traveller with just carry-on rollerboard might just pick that bare 60 minute connecting option, but a family of four with stroller etc. might want to pick a longer connecting option (without being forced to book two itineraries instead). To only offer one option (say, the shortest connecting time) doesn't seem right.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by anat0l
I guess that makes sense, although in an EU jurisdiction the compensation payable is a bit more than what you describe (if I interpret that regulation correctly).
EU regulation 261/2004 do not cover situations when passenger is late for the flight.

AX
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Lifetime Platinum Elite, AA Gold, Delta MM Silver
Delta through DTW

If you book NY - PVG on DL they will give you 50 minutes each way at DTW, give or take. On the way out, I will risk it. On the way back, on a foreign passport, with luggage, fuggetaboutit...

Atlanta, where I lived for close to 4 years and traveled through since 1995, you need at least 2 hours. It has taken me 3 once...
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards,many FF programs
Unrealistic connection times why?

I always try to book 1.5-2hrs minimum for a connection and 3 hours minimum if I have to go through customs ...more for MIA. A couple of times domestically (especially on FF flights), the airline has made schedule changes, adding in a tight connection to a previously booked non-stop. I suspect that they changed my flight to resell a more desirable flight for $$$. If I called them up I was usually able to get back on the original flight.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clarelouise44
I suspect that they changed my flight to resell a more desirable flight for $$$. If I called them up I was usually able to get back on the original flight.
I hate it when they do that- in our case it frequently has to do with changes in flight schedules between MCI, our home airport, and ORD, where we usually connect, so the original itinerary just plain doesn't exist anymore.

We just booked MCI-DFW-MAD for next May and I was happy to be able to get the same deal we got on our previous trip- MAD-DFW arriving DFW at 4 PM on the way home, then the first flight out of DFW the next morning. Clumsy and it's another hotel night, but when we arrived in DFW 2 hours late on our last trip, we had no worries about making our connection!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Interesting. Some people here allow a lot more than me. I'm perfectly comfortable with 45 minutes on domestic connections (30 if it's a particularly easy airport), and probably 1.5 hours if customs is required. Haven't missed a flight yet, and only even remotely cut it close once. I figure the saved time over dozens of flights is worth the potential $25 or whatever change fee to the next flight on the rare occasion I would miss one, and I never check bags, so that isn't a concern.

Of course, if the flight I am connecting to is the last one of that day and/or leaves me completely screwed if I miss it, I will certainly allow more time. I will also on occasion book a longer connection if I think I'll feel like spending a little extra time in the lounge that day.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dabears1020
Interesting. Some people here allow a lot more than me. I'm perfectly comfortable with 45 minutes on domestic connections (30 if it's a particularly easy airport), and probably 1.5 hours if customs is required. Haven't missed a flight yet, and only even remotely cut it close once. I figure the saved time over dozens of flights is worth the potential $25 or whatever change fee to the next flight on the rare occasion I would miss one, and I never check bags, so that isn't a concern.
I have had multiple flights that had I gone with so narrow a window I wouldn't have made it.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Athena53
so the original itinerary just plain doesn't exist anymore.
Ties in nicely with the thread about getting off your plane before the last leg!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.