Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Unrealistic minimum connection times -- why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unrealistic minimum connection times -- why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:20 pm

I would go along and think that most MCT should be enhanced, however, especially on international flights going to Europe I often see them arrive early (if everything goes well), so even with a short MCT you can make your flight.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Contrary to popular perception, MCTs are not a number pulled out of a hat. There is a huge amount of work that goes into determining MCTs, all the way down to people walking between gates hundreds of times with stopwatches at various times of day...
Then I would like to know why CO sells gazillions of XXX-EWR-YYY connections where XXX-EWR is an RJ feeder flight, EWR-YYY is an international or transcon flight, and the connection time is :45 to 1:15 or so; but XXX-EWRs are routinely groundstopped at origin for NYC ATC congestion even in fine weather, run :60 to 1:30 late, and everyone routinely misses their connections. MCTs should take into account actuarially probable delays. It's clear to me that CO MCTs through EWR, esp. Term A / Term C transfers, work only in a perfect world that doesn't exist.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FTMucGer
... I often see them arrive early (if everything goes well), so even with a short MCT you can make your flight.
One of my Murphy's Laws of Travel: if you schedule a long layover, your flight will arrive early. If you have a short layover, your flight will be delayed. The corollary: and if your flight into the connection airport is delayed, even if it's due to bad weather at your arrival city, your flight OUT of that airport will leave on time.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Lots of misinformation and incorrect speculation in this thread about who determines minimum connection times and why.

And airlines do NOT want misconnecting passengers.

But most importantly why are people kvetching about minimum connection times, talking about how unrealistic they are, if you do not feel the minimums are reasonable then don't book an itinerary that involves just the minimum connection time.

Who exactly is forcing y'all to do 30 minute connections @ MEM or 30 minute on-line (DL-DL) connections @ DTW or MSP?

And be careful what you wish for in higher minimum connection times. Next time you NEED a quick connection to make the last flight of the night, minimum connection times have been lengthened so that connection is now illegal, you force it with separate tickets and then misconnect and it's YOUR problem whereas if it was a legal connection it would have been the airline's...
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
I agree with the above and there is one other misconception about MCT here and it has to do with bags. Often bags are quicker than passengers - checked bags will make it to the connecting flight before the passenger does.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Athena53
I'd also make it vary seasonally (lengthen it in ATL and DFW during summer storm season and in ORD and DTW during the winter months) and even by departure time, since you have a much better chance getting into ORD or ATL in time to catch your connection if you're scheduled to arrive at 9 AM instead of 7 PM. Since the airlines have overbooking (i.e., how many excess seats to sell on a particular flight in anticipation of no-shows) down to a science with similar variables, they ought to be able to do it with MCTs.
There are a number of problems with MCTs varying by time of year, one of which being the hub & spoke schedules which so many airlines rely on would be forever changing to cope with frequent changes in MCTs.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
Lots of misinformation and incorrect speculation in this thread about who determines minimum connection times and why.

The problem is the airlines use averages and even then they sometimes don't get it right. I've been given an international->domestic connect that had no hope of making the baggage recheck cutoff even when things went well.

But most importantly why are people kvetching about minimum connection times, talking about how unrealistic they are, if you do not feel the minimums are reasonable then don't book an itinerary that involves just the minimum connection time.
We know better. The Kettles don't.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:24 am

Unfortunately some airline booking sites leave you no choice but to book those tight connections - because the tight connection is the only thing they will offer.

For example, klm.com used to have a facility to select flights one by one on a multi-sector itinerary... now it doesn't any more. You type in your point of departure and destination and accept what you get given - there is no way of forcing a longer lay-over in AMS. The only way round this is to book via a third-party site like Expedia, but this then has the drawback that KLM won't deal with you direct over things like seat allocations.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
OTOH, some airports have an excellent 'direct transfer' service for short connections. In MUC and VIE in particular, there's been a number of times where I've been whisked off the airbridge, on to the tarmac in a minibus, via the immigration office where necessary, and deposited at my connecting flight, with baggage, a few minutes later. Even CDG can muster this up when they feel like it.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:38 am

Sometimes the airlines thrust it upon you. I booked a three hour international-US connection through YYZ recently because I know that airport can be difficult to transit. AC cancelled my later connecting flight and changed me to an earlier one, giving me a one hour twenty six minute connection. Not sure what MCT is for YYZ, but I know If I kept that schedule I very likely wouldn't have made it. I rescheduled a better connection through YUL.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Who exactly is forcing y'all to do 30 minute connections @ MEM or 30 minute on-line (DL-DL) connections @ DTW or MSP?

And be careful what you wish for in higher minimum connection times. Next time you NEED a quick connection to make the last flight of the night, minimum connection times have been lengthened so that connection is now illegal, you force it with separate tickets and then misconnect and it's YOUR problem whereas if it was a legal connection it would have been the airline's...
your bolded portion (with the added red by me) hits the nail on the head-plane and simple

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
.....We know better. The Kettles don't.
yup and i had this very argument with a dear friend of mine. he's a kettle but a very dear friend yet no matter what i try and 'splain to him, he won't listen. he flies simply based solely on price and minimum total travel time. i warned him that his 46 minute dl/dl conx at jfk was pushing it as even tho it was legal, with runway construction at jfk a given for delays and then with the possibilty of irrops (either wx or mx), he was asking for trouble (and not to mention that it was dl express to mainline). i suggested he route either bos/atl, bos/dtw or bos/msp but he didn't want to as that would add more travel time and sure enough....took off late ex-bos, arrived late at jfk, had to wait to pick up his bag planseside as it was an rj (told him that would be an issue as well as he thought he could carry his bag on with him) and having to schlepp from dl's express mainline gates (told him that could be an issue as well), he did have a mis-conx. last flight out so he ended up overnighting (dl did put him up) but all he did was b!tch, moan & groan how this never happens on wn . maybe one day he'll listen to me?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by stut
OTOH, some airports have an excellent 'direct transfer' service for short connections. In MUC and VIE in particular, there's been a number of times where I've been whisked off the airbridge, on to the tarmac in a minibus, via the immigration office where necessary, and deposited at my connecting flight, with baggage, a few minutes later. Even CDG can muster this up when they feel like it.

but probably for a heavy fee, or?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:48 am
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
We know better. The Kettles don't.
Perhaps more importantly for business travelers who need to use designated travel agents to book business travel, the travel agents might not know which connections are not realistic.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by FTMucGer
Originally Posted by stut

but probably for a heavy fee, or?
Nope, free. On discount Y tickets to boot. And no tips expected.

Airports that get the bulk of their business through transfer traffic could learn a thing or two!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Then I would like to know why CO sells gazillions of XXX-EWR-YYY connections where XXX-EWR is an RJ feeder flight, EWR-YYY is an international or transcon flight, and the connection time is :45 to 1:15 or so; but XXX-EWRs are routinely groundstopped at origin for NYC ATC congestion even in fine weather, run :60 to 1:30 late, and everyone routinely misses their connections. MCTs should take into account actuarially probable delays. It's clear to me that CO MCTs through EWR, esp. Term A / Term C transfers, work only in a perfect world that doesn't exist.
Because airlines are badly run business and even worse at contingency planning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.