What makes a bad airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes a bad airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by DanTravels
EDI lacks "bag re-check" and an airside security checkpoint to route connecting international passengers back onto the concourse. This is particularly stupid given that the UK (as evidenced by LHR) ordinarily would not require a transiting, carry-on-only passenger to go anywhere near immigration, international bag claim, customs or "bag re-check," because they aren't entering the country. But at EDI, they manage to have a process that's even worse than the US.
I don't know of ANY European airport that has an airside bag re-check facility (nor, indeed, any that has an airside bag collection facility) - this is because we wouldn't normally have a use for them!

In the USA you pick up your baggage at the point of entry, take it through customs and then check it again.

In Europe bags are checked through to one's final destination, with no need to collect and re-check en route.

What you should have done is ask CO to check your bag to your final destination. They would almost certainly have done this (assuming this was in their Skyteam days). They did it for me some years ago when I was connecting CO to KL on separate itineraries. All I had to do was show them my onward reservation.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by sweeper20
TVs that you can't hear and they don't have the closed caption on.
My huge peeve is the opposite--TVs everywhere blasting CNN's airport channel, or some other inanity, impossible to escape. The noise level at some airports is positively poisonous. I am always trying to get as far from the cacophony as possible, which usually means that I'm stuck sitting 200 yards from my gate.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
* Ticket and bag check before entering the building a la Colombo
AGREED!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I don't know of ANY European airport that has an airside bag re-check facility (nor, indeed, any that has an airside bag collection facility) - this is because we wouldn't normally have a use for them!
Interesting!

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
What you should have done is ask CO to check your bag to your final destination. They would almost certainly have done this (assuming this was in their Skyteam days). They did it for me some years ago when I was connecting CO to KL on separate itineraries. All I had to do was show them my onward reservation.
Although it's been a few years so my memory is hazy, and although I griped about bag claim times at EDI in my original post (having flown into Edinburgh as many as a dozen times a year) I don't think I even had checked bags on that particular trip, since I knew I'd be connecting to a separate itinerary and wouldn't have wanted to reclaim. And yes, certainly, getting bags checked through is great. But in my experience, EDI doesn't provide a way to stay airside even if you're a transiting, carry-on-only passenger - everyone from international flights is just marched off to immigration, bag claim, customs, and out you go.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Daytona
Airports that does not have an on-site gas station, nor adequate instructions to any nearby gas stations. (PDX I am looking at you)
add EWR Ato that list.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Airports that use buses, whether between plane and terminal instead of jetways or between terminals/concourses, whether alndside or airside. I want the entire airport to be connected indoors, with heat and air conditioning, and ideally walkable (wide moving sidewalks are even better) so that one can run for a flight rather than being forced to wait for a train or whatever or to go up and down stairs (even a few steps, given that most of us use wheeled luggage) without both escalators and elevators.

Airports that lack elite facilities that I can use: lounges (at least Priority Pass accessible from all gates, airside with restrooms and showers), priority security, and priority check in lines for my airline.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: CO-Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
add EWR Ato that list.
Definitely +1! At so many airports, the gas stations aren't all that far away, but they are PAST the airport, or on a side street off the freeway. You have to wander in the neighborhood quite a bit to find them, unless you've been to that airport before and learned where they are. A list from the rental agencies - even if the gas is obscenely expensive - would go a long way toward saving time when you are returning.

Add TPA, SJC, SLC, MKE, YYV to THAT list.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by robinh002
does IAD come close to a bad airport ? arrive at gate , take the bus that rises up & down , arrive at immagration , baggage claim , customs
if a flight arrived before your,s it is either 50 minutes or 2 hours plus !
this is the airport of the capital of the USA .
little has changed since 1984 ! & i never used to be grey !
Hmm. The longest I have ever had it take to get through customs and immigration at IAD is 20 minutes and most of the time it is about 10. I've found it to consistently be the fastest in the U.S. SFO has improved but I am still scarred by the 45 minute average they used to have. I find the worst in the U.S. is consistently MIA.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by DCA writer
* Any "airport" rail station that doesn't actually connect to a terminal, such as at BWI, BOS and OAK.
It's not actually rail, but the Silver Line bus rapid transit to BOS works pretty well and is, in fact, at least as convenient as the Blue Line for most of the places I go to in the Boston area. You can get it right at the terminal and connect to the Red Line (to Cambridge, for example) or to commuter rail at South Station.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by quartermoon
Definitely +1! At so many airports, the gas stations aren't all that far away, but they are PAST the airport, or on a side street off the freeway. You have to wander in the neighborhood quite a bit to find them, unless you've been to that airport before and learned where they are. A list from the rental agencies - even if the gas is obscenely expensive - would go a long way toward saving time when you are returning.

Add TPA, SJC, SLC, MKE, YYV to THAT list.
SLC is a bear, but there is a gas station..a Conoco I think..about 4 miles down that southbound airport exit road (bangerterer highway or something like that)at "California Ave"..make a left, go another 2 miles.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by pinworm
SLC is a bear, but there is a gas station..a Conoco I think..about 4 miles down that southbound airport exit road (bangerterer highway or something like that)at "California Ave"..make a left, go another 2 miles.
This might be asking a bit too much - but how about 24 hour gas stations near the airport? It really is my fault if I don't fill up the night before an early flight, but I've certainly forgotten a few times. CMH comes to mind recently.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by mhnadel
It's not actually rail, but the Silver Line bus rapid transit to BOS works pretty well and is, in fact, at least as convenient as the Blue Line for most of the places I go to in the Boston area. You can get it right at the terminal and connect to the Red Line (to Cambridge, for example) or to commuter rail at South Station.
Boston based here and the Silver Line is a decent way to travel - and gets you downtown fast through super secret tunnels!

Even if you prefer to take the T, its a pretty short (free) bus ride up to the Blue line and the buses do run quite often.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by DanTravels
EDI doesn't provide a way to stay airside even if you're a transiting, carry-on-only passenger - everyone from international flights is just marched off to immigration, bag claim, customs, and out you go.
This is true. It's because EDI is not designed to be an international hub airport and it is unusual for people to use it as a hub. EDI has a single departure area for both international departures and domestic arrivals/departures. If you were airside in that area, you would easily be able to walk out of the airport and onto the street. That's why you have to clear immigration on arrival. However, in my experience EDI is very tolerant of people cutting queues when they are late for a flight. Some people abuse this tolerance.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
What makes a bad airport.. I would say, the cleanliness, whether its renovated.. is there enough restaurants that would keep prices competitive.. which country is it residing (i.e. the one in Cuba when we were vacationing felt like a military prison, especially when it was time to pay for the departure taxes).. etc.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
all in all, a bad airport is a place where you are uncomfortable, want to leave more faster then normal and doesnt feel well at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.