Reload this Page >

What makes a bad airport?

What makes a bad airport?

Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Talking Oh yes there are indeed toilets landside at LCY Neil

Originally Posted by pacer142
Bad airports: LHR, LGW.

The main reason for this is that they are set up as shopping malls that happen to have planes. AMS, which is an airport that happens to have some shopping, is vastly superior.

The constant up and down and hidden passageways is also a big fault of LHR and LGW.

I like LCY, but one bad mark for it (and I think LTN, which is another airport I quite like) is that there are no toilet facilities before passport control.

Neil
Landside toilets situated at LCY, so far as I can recall, under the stairs (just look to the right of the escalator on the ground floor just before you go up it to departures.

btw the standard of the toilets at LCY, even airside, is not good enough. The lack of cleanliness and crappy (sorry for the pun, guys :-) quality of the built of the toilets and toilet cubicles is really low. Also they are not cleaned enough at LCY. I prefer to 'go' on the plane when travelling from LCY, and that's really saying something. Hope someone from LCY is reading this and will sort it. Otherwise LCY is one of my favorite aiports and very efficiently run except no airline lounges - a pity.

Of course my above comments are only based on visits to the Ladies' version of the bathrooms at LCY. I haven't been into the Mens!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by NRT_boy
Any airport where it takes over 30 minutes to get through immigaration (ie. IAD which should have it's "International" label removed)
If that's a criteria, I would add ATL, JFK, LAX and ORD to the list. My worst delay (US Citizen) was well over an hour at ATL.

Despite the naysayers, IAD's Concourse B isn't bad at all. Actually, it's pretty good. I do agree about C and D - they really need improvement.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
In defense of DEN's distance from the city, I'd argue that although the distance is greater than most cities, the commute time isn't that out of line with other major cities. The speed limit on Pena Boulevard is 65 mph or higher, and traffic moves. And, as someone that flew out of the old Stapleton airport for years, I'll gladly accept an extra 15 hours of commuting to the airport to not have the hour or more flight delays that were common at the old "close in" airport.

DEN also gets it right in the way it handles vehicular traffic, with three levels of access all with a dozen or more lanes. All commercial traffic is segregated on its own level from non-commercial traffic so you don't have the problem of large buses, rental car vans, hotel vans, and taxis dodging in and out of the normal passenger traffic in cars.

DEN has three security lines. And, unlike many airports, they actually enforce the premium passenger line. (PIT drives me crazy with this.) There is plenty of room for security, like the rest of the airport you never have a feeling of being penned in by small spaces, narrow corridors, and the like.

DEN has excellent restaurant choices, especially in concourse B. It has free wifi. It has plenty of restrooms.

There are plans (although they'll likely take forever) to build a light rail line to DIA from downtown. That won't help all of us, though, since DIA services communities up to a couple hundred miles away so not everyone's trying to get to and from downtown.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Loooong immigration line : JFK, BKK
Lack of food choices : LGA, ORD or pretty much every US airports I've been to.
Unnecessarily complicated, illogical layout : CDG (aka hell). FRA.

Come on people, why only dougnuts and fast food joints in US airports? Airport is THE place to make money on food. Everyone is locked up, for hours. Get a spa, get some bars and get some wifi connections.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:22 am

Have you ever experienced the end of Concourse C at SLC? 6 gates crowded into a dead end. Some gates within 10 feet of each other. Not enough seating or standing room. One huge mass of humanity claiming their few inches of space. Arriving passengers have to go through a maze just to get out. It's a nightmare! If the Fire Marshall visited they'd probably shut it down.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: flying blue
Iad arrivals & custom,s

does IAD come close to a bad airport ? arrive at gate , take the bus that rises up & down , arrive at immagration , baggage claim , customs
if a flight arrived before your,s it is either 50 minutes or 2 hours plus !
this is the airport of the capital of the USA .
little has changed since 1984 ! & i never used to be grey !
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Any domestic airport that requires gate-to-gate security - JFK and MIA (at least in the past), and SAN for the commuter terminal.
Endless concourses with no moving sidewalks - ATL comes to mind.
HNL wins the prize for confusing check-in, and the walk from International arrivals to UA can be brutal.
Idiot CBP practices, like deciding to merge foreigners and citizens, where the foreigners have to be fingerprinted, photographed, and interviewed.
Signage, signage, signage.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Being required to go through immigration, baggage claim and customs, then back through security, to catch a connecting flight on a partner airline.

I know you're all going to think I'm talking about every airport in the US, but actually this happened in Edinburgh!

When Continental had its non-stop from Newark, I had a connecting flight on KLM, which was a separate itinerary as I figured I'd be staying airside and could just get my boarding pass from the lounge or a gate agent... nope, I had to go through the whole routine. Of course, anyone familiar with waits for baggage at Edinburgh will know I missed the flight. Fortunately, KLM was very understanding and put me on the next one, no questions asked.
You do realize the definition of an international port of entry, right? And when PAX have access to their checked bags, they must go through security again?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:30 pm

CNN on all the television stations, where the TV's cannot be changed.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by phil398437
CNN on all the television stations, where the TV's cannot be changed.
TVs that you can't hear and they don't have the closed caption on.

As another poster commented - too much 'up down' to get from the gate to either the curb (taxi) or rental cars - ORD, CMH.

Solicitors - Credit cards, etc. I don't really mind them for the most part, but sometimes they are really aggressive and the airports seem to ignore them. DTW

Baggage claim offices that seem to never be staffed - SBI

Way off site car rental hubs - CIN
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
You do realize the definition of an international port of entry, right? And when PAX have access to their checked bags, they must go through security again?
Yes, of course - and oh, if only there were a single definition.

The international flight lands, people get off. Passengers who've reached their destination for the day obviously go through immigration, international bag claim and customs, and head landside.

What happens to connecting passengers, though, varies greatly depending on the regualations of the airport's country. In AMS or NBO, for example (and I think FRA may be this way as well), they're free to roam the "international" concourse, shop up a storm, and get screened at the gate for their connecting flight. In NRT or KIX, they follow signs for connecting flights, go through a security check, and are then back on the concourse, free to roam. At most US airports, they go through immigration, international bag claim, customs, "bag re-check" and security, back onto the concourse.

EDI lacks "bag re-check" and an airside security checkpoint to route connecting international passengers back onto the concourse. This is particularly stupid given that the UK (as evidenced by LHR) ordinarily would not require a transiting, carry-on-only passenger to go anywhere near immigration, international bag claim, customs or "bag re-check," because they aren't entering the country. But at EDI, they manage to have a process that's even worse than the US.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
You're not comparing like for like.
Originally Posted by DanTravels
In AMS or NBO, for example (and I think FRA may be this way as well), they're free to roam the "international" concourse, shop up a storm, and get screened at the gate for their connecting flight. In NRT or KIX, they follow signs for connecting flights, go through a security check, and are then back on the concourse, free to roam.
In these cases, you'd be looking at pax who are travelling on a single itinerary who have through checked their luggage.
At most US airports, they go through immigration, international bag claim, customs, "bag re-check" and security, back onto the concourse.
This is because most US flights are not able to through check luggage for "security" reasons. Hence luggage is offloaded, collected by pax, re-checked and re-screened.
EDI lacks "bag re-check" and an airside security checkpoint to route connecting international passengers back onto the concourse.
This relates to travelling on two separate itineraries where luggage was not through checked. In most airports, separate itineraries will mean collecting luggage and checking in landside for the onward flight, especially if it is from an international flight. I don't remember ever seeing luggage carousels before the passport control.
This is particularly stupid given that the UK (as evidenced by LHR) ordinarily would not require a transiting, carry-on-only passenger to go anywhere near immigration, international bag claim, customs or "bag re-check," because they aren't entering the country.
And this is relating to a carry-on-only passenger which was clearly not the case when complaining about time taken to offload luggage at EDI (which in any case has always seemed very quick to me).
But at EDI, they manage to have a process that's even worse than the US.
That's a matter of opinion but you do need to make sure you are comparing like with like.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:09 pm
Suspended

"As another poster commented - too much 'up down' to get from the gate to either the curb (taxi) or rental cars - ORD, CMH. "

SLC!!! Up the escilator, down the ramp, down another escilator. Up down, up down.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
all-time-"favourite" is CDG, incredible ugly, old, cold (spend almost 12 hours in november waiting for delayed flight with broken heatpipes at the gate!!) and boring. dont want to go again if i haven't to
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Airports that does not have an on-site gas station, nor adequate instructions to any nearby gas stations. (PDX I am looking at you)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.