FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Interaction or privacy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1082207-interaction-privacy.html)

mixel May 6, 2010 5:26 am

Interaction or privacy?

I am more a person who likes to have my own privacy during a flight. There are always some people who like to have a chat with you, so have some social interaction with the neighbours. Normally, I am not that bothered with a little chat but do not really like to have a long conversation during the flight.

I was wondering what do you guys prefer during a flight, more privacy or more social interaction.

KChar May 6, 2010 5:29 am

On my flights my preference is more privacy and only a little interaction especially since I usually travel alone.

sobore May 6, 2010 5:39 am

I would lean toward more privacy with a little interaction.
On l-o-n-g flights a bit more interaction to break things up a bit.

Aviatrix May 6, 2010 5:46 am

With me, it depends.

I am not naturally chatty, and I don't tend to strike up conversations myself... but I will always exchange at least a "hello" with my seat neighbours, and sometimes conversations will just develop naturally.

I don't like it when people just talk to me incessantly, assuming that I want to have a conversation with them (fortunately this hasn't happened very often) - but I've had some very enjoyable in-flight conversations which, somehow, just "happened".

wharvey May 6, 2010 7:03 am

For me, privacy when alone... some interaction when travelling with a friend or my partner.

I have a tendency to start wearing my Bose headsets as soon as I sit down... that makes the privacy desire pretty obvious. :)

tony732 May 6, 2010 8:53 am

Just depends on my mood and other factors.

If I'm flying solo (which is about 90% of the time) on business, I don't mind having friendly conversation with people (strangers) sitting next to me if they're not annoying and or creepy. If they do meet those two elements, I'll usually do a quick hi and put on my headphones.

Overall, I like a good balance of conversation and some privacy to where I can listen to my MP3 player and focus on getting work done on my laptop if need be.

If I'm flying leisure with friends or family, I'll talk to them the entire flight. No problem there.

Athena53 May 6, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm always well-stocked with books and tunes, but have found that I tend to get into more conversation with seatmates on long-hauls in Business. Maybe part of it is that you have so little personal space in Coach that withdrwaing is more comfortable. It's especially nice if I end up next to someone from the country I'm visiting/have just visited. I learn a lot.

STBCypriot May 7, 2010 1:50 am

I generally prefer privacy, but do interact politely just to be cordial. I do not, however, appreciate the loud-talkers who have to share their life story with their seatmate on a long TATL flight.

derteilzeitberliner May 7, 2010 1:53 am

It depends, really. I'm very sociable but when you talk to strangers, it can turn against you. I wouldn't like a conversation lasting the whole flight.

I do say hello and some casual talk if that happens but mostly during boarding only. Greetings at deplaning, that's about it.

This being said, I have always dreamed of meeting a girl during a flight. :p

tony732 May 7, 2010 2:33 am

Originally Posted by derteilzeitberliner (Post 13914885)
This being said, I have always dreamed of meeting a girl during a flight. :p

Yep never fails. I've met women many times on flights...particularly ones coming back from Dallas or Chicago. I've also found that airport bars and restaurants tend to be good places to chat up the ladies. :D

mixel May 7, 2010 4:28 am

Originally Posted by tony732 (Post 13914968)
I've also found that airport bars and restaurants tend to be good places to chat up the ladies. :D

Thanks for the tip xD.

I see that most people do not mind a quick chat, but also prefer there own privacy now and then.
I always use my earphones or shut my eyes (try to get a sleep) to create my own privacy.

deubster May 7, 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 13909447)
For me, privacy when alone... some interaction when travelling with a friend or my partner.

I have a tendency to start wearing my Bose headsets as soon as I sit down... that makes the privacy desire pretty obvious. :)

Ditto, although mine are in-ear Etymotics. Combine that with the book I'm holding, and someone would pretty much have to scream and wave their hand in front of my face to get my attention.

brendog May 7, 2010 10:13 am

Originally Posted by deubster (Post 13916359)
Ditto, although mine are in-ear Etymotics. Combine that with the book I'm holding, and someone would pretty much have to scream and wave their hand in front of my face to get my attention.

Exactly. Airplane time is quiet time. A nod and some mumbled pleasantry are about the maximum interaction in which I am willing to participate.

cordelli May 7, 2010 11:13 am

I don't mind one or the other, I don't plan for either when I board. Some of my best flights have been interacting with others.

With privacy though you know what you are getting. With interaction, I hope it's somewhat above the level of peek - a - boo with a three year old (which sadly, sometimes it is not).

Askin001 May 7, 2010 12:05 pm

Shourt Haul Routes & Long-Haul Red-Eyes: Privacy
Long-Haul daytrips, combined w/ no IFE (LH 744...): Smalltalk