Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are you eligible for upgrades but buy first/business class tickets anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I've been an elite-level member of US Airways' frequent flyer program for decades. For the first time, I bought a first class ticket and got first class that way, rather than buying a coach ticket and getting upgraded due to elite status. A first class refundable ticket was the same price as a coach nonrefundable ticket (and FC refundable was cheaper than coach refundable), so it was a better deal to do as I did.

How many of us, though, are elite-level members of frequent flyer programs but just buy first or business class tickets anyway, even if we could get the same first class seat by buying a coach ticket and getting upgraded?

I can see doing so if the price of a FC ticket is the same as an upgraded coach ticket, or if you need the bonus miles/points from a FC ticket.

Just curious. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I have pretty low status with United, so I recently paid for first class when it was only a little bit more expensive. I basically paid for the knowledge of a definite upgrade over the (high) risk of never getting the upgrade.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I don't belong to any frequent flyer program or have status. I just buy a first or business class ticket for the reason that I am guaranteed that seat. I don't want an economy ticket and not know for weeks if I might be upgraded. I don't want to take the chance on a 9 hour flight that I might be stuck back in economy rather than getting an upgrade I thought would happen but didn't.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Years ago when I was United 1K (100,000 mile level) upgrades were pretty frequent. I would buy a coach ticket and get a free upgrade on domestic flights 90% of the time and an international upgrade with an instrument (UA's system-wide upgrade certificate) at least 60% of the time. With a few changes in UA policies my upgrade frequencies plummeted. Since then I ceased being so loyal to any one airline, my status level dropped to Gold (50,000 mile level), and my upgrade rate is pretty much zero now. So now I book whatever class I plan to fly in. Usually that's coach, but on occasion I find a business/first rate that makes sense.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I am upper (not highest) tier on several programs and buy F or J tickets as, in line with others, I want to guarantee that is the class I will travel in.

I do use the points I earn to upgrade to F from J occasionally but I usually use the points to 'pay' for my daughters ticket when buying my and SO paid tickets for holidays.

Only my metric, but I have found that I am usually able to secure a points ticket for our 5yo when we are paying for F or J tickets.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

I buy F or J when I want it. Being ATL-based, I naturally gain status from DL. But when flying TATL an UG is highly unlikely and I (and Mrs. Lee) will not fly Y, so I will pick whatever airline has the best price for J or use miles. This also means I get to fly a variety of long-haul J cabins rather than just blindly book on DL/AF/KL.

Domestically, I buy FC very frequently even on short 2 hour flights and even with an UG % around 50% on flights where I book coach. With DL's new SDC rules and aggressive FCM pricing, it is an excellent deal IMO to have essentially a same-day flexible ticket. Flights under 4 hours I really don't care about the seat, so to me the FC ticket is all about the flexibility.
Old May 9, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many here do not buy Y tickets

if i didnt spend way too much on accommodations, i would do the same
Old May 10, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I've been an elite-level member of US Airways' frequent flyer program for decades. For the first time, I bought a first class ticket and got first class that way, rather than buying a coach ticket and getting upgraded due to elite status. A first class refundable ticket was the same price as a coach nonrefundable ticket (and FC refundable was cheaper than coach refundable), so it was a better deal to do as I did.

How many of us, though, are elite-level members of frequent flyer programs but just buy first or business class tickets anyway, even if we could get the same first class seat by buying a coach ticket and getting upgraded?

I can see doing so if the price of a FC ticket is the same as an upgraded coach ticket, or if you need the bonus miles/points from a FC ticket.

Just curious. Thanks.
I do, all the time... buy more at A and P than I do at Y. With FCM it guarantees me the seat I want. Comp UGs are becoming fewer and fewer as airlines figure out how to wrestle a few extra $$ out of those seats instead of giving them away for free.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm top tier on DL and tend to still get upgrades, but I look at the price differences, the additional status miles, and my probable need to SDC. I wish DL didn't show the FC fares automatically now as it was better when only people who knew would compare FC and coach fares before purchasing tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.