Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Interaction or privacy?

Interaction or privacy?

Old May 6, 2010, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Interaction or privacy?

I am more a person who likes to have my own privacy during a flight. There are always some people who like to have a chat with you, so have some social interaction with the neighbours. Normally, I am not that bothered with a little chat but do not really like to have a long conversation during the flight.

I was wondering what do you guys prefer during a flight, more privacy or more social interaction.
Old May 6, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: UA
On my flights my preference is more privacy and only a little interaction especially since I usually travel alone.
Old May 6, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
I would lean toward more privacy with a little interaction.
On l-o-n-g flights a bit more interaction to break things up a bit.
Old May 6, 2010, 5:46 am

With me, it depends.

I am not naturally chatty, and I don't tend to strike up conversations myself... but I will always exchange at least a "hello" with my seat neighbours, and sometimes conversations will just develop naturally.

I don't like it when people just talk to me incessantly, assuming that I want to have a conversation with them (fortunately this hasn't happened very often) - but I've had some very enjoyable in-flight conversations which, somehow, just "happened".
Old May 6, 2010, 7:03 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
For me, privacy when alone... some interaction when travelling with a friend or my partner.

I have a tendency to start wearing my Bose headsets as soon as I sit down... that makes the privacy desire pretty obvious.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
Just depends on my mood and other factors.

If I'm flying solo (which is about 90% of the time) on business, I don't mind having friendly conversation with people (strangers) sitting next to me if they're not annoying and or creepy. If they do meet those two elements, I'll usually do a quick hi and put on my headphones.

Overall, I like a good balance of conversation and some privacy to where I can listen to my MP3 player and focus on getting work done on my laptop if need be.

If I'm flying leisure with friends or family, I'll talk to them the entire flight. No problem there.
Old May 6, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I'm always well-stocked with books and tunes, but have found that I tend to get into more conversation with seatmates on long-hauls in Business. Maybe part of it is that you have so little personal space in Coach that withdrwaing is more comfortable. It's especially nice if I end up next to someone from the country I'm visiting/have just visited. I learn a lot.
Old May 7, 2010, 1:50 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I generally prefer privacy, but do interact politely just to be cordial. I do not, however, appreciate the loud-talkers who have to share their life story with their seatmate on a long TATL flight.
Old May 7, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
It depends, really. I'm very sociable but when you talk to strangers, it can turn against you. I wouldn't like a conversation lasting the whole flight.

I do say hello and some casual talk if that happens but mostly during boarding only. Greetings at deplaning, that's about it.

This being said, I have always dreamed of meeting a girl during a flight.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by derteilzeitberliner
This being said, I have always dreamed of meeting a girl during a flight.
Yep never fails. I've met women many times on flights...particularly ones coming back from Dallas or Chicago. I've also found that airport bars and restaurants tend to be good places to chat up the ladies.
Old May 7, 2010, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tony732
I've also found that airport bars and restaurants tend to be good places to chat up the ladies.
Thanks for the tip xD.

I see that most people do not mind a quick chat, but also prefer there own privacy now and then.
I always use my earphones or shut my eyes (try to get a sleep) to create my own privacy.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
For me, privacy when alone... some interaction when travelling with a friend or my partner.

I have a tendency to start wearing my Bose headsets as soon as I sit down... that makes the privacy desire pretty obvious.
Ditto, although mine are in-ear Etymotics. Combine that with the book I'm holding, and someone would pretty much have to scream and wave their hand in front of my face to get my attention.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by deubster
Ditto, although mine are in-ear Etymotics. Combine that with the book I'm holding, and someone would pretty much have to scream and wave their hand in front of my face to get my attention.
Exactly. Airplane time is quiet time. A nod and some mumbled pleasantry are about the maximum interaction in which I am willing to participate.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't mind one or the other, I don't plan for either when I board. Some of my best flights have been interacting with others.

With privacy though you know what you are getting. With interaction, I hope it's somewhat above the level of peek - a - boo with a three year old (which sadly, sometimes it is not).
Old May 7, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold), Hilton Honors Gold, Mariott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Shourt Haul Routes & Long-Haul Red-Eyes: Privacy
Long-Haul daytrips, combined w/ no IFE (LH 744...): Smalltalk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.