Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent humor

Gate Agent humor

Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Gate Agent humor

A few years ago I was flying between DC and Chicago every week. I would normally book a late evening return from ORD and stand by on an earlier flight if possible. The stand by rules were simpler then, but still subject to availability, fare code, etc.

One time I had an upgrade, but checked on the earlier flight anyway. The GA checked and said I could stand by, but only on coach.

I didn't mind a lot, it was a fairly short flight and I'd rather be home earlier.

Then she said "It's a middle seat".

I'm sure I looked disappointed, but said no problem. I can put up with it for an hour and a half or so.

"It's a middle seat in the last row, right in front of the lavs"

This was not good news, I thought.

"Each of the passengers next to you have requested seat belt extenders".

I'm sure she noticed the look of horror on my face.

"Enjoy your flight!" she said as she handed my First Class BP.

She pulled if off so well she must have practiced it on plenty of people before me. Great comedy, even if I was on the receiving end!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:05 am
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmcc

"Each of the passengers next to you have requested seat belt extenders".

I'm sure she noticed the look of horror on my face.

"Enjoy your flight!" she said as she handed my First Class BP.

She pulled if off so well she must have practiced it on plenty of people before me. Great comedy, even if I was on the receiving end!
That is so funny ^ I'm sure I would have run when she got to the extenders part!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
I hope the GA knew you or was an extremely adept judge of character. Imagine the flaming messages here if that humor was aimed at someone without your personality.....
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great story! ^
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
I love it!!! Always great to see a sense of humour when I'm travelling. For me, it's what makes the difference between institutionalised courtesy and individual attention. It makes me feel like they actually see me as a person (even if they did it to everyone). It's just a lovely human touch.

+1 to that GA
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 7Continents
I hope the GA knew you or was an extremely adept judge of character. Imagine the flaming messages here if that humor was aimed at someone without your personality.....
Actually she didn't know me, I probably looked like the typical stressed, tired and apparently devoid of humor or personality traveller, which made the gag that much better. She probably thought that if anything bad happened, it would be completely worth it.

My regret is that I got reeled in so well that I didn't compliment her, so if you're out there, Ms Gate Agent, very nicely done!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
heh... maybe she was expecting the word "OUCH" after each one of her statements?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:14 pm

Thanks. Perfect timing for a little levity in my life!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
lovely!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.