Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a summer travel destination

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Looking for a summer travel destination

I'm looking for ideas on where to go with the spouse and 4-year old for 7-10 days this summer. I live in NJ and am looking for someplace reasonibly priced where there are Marriotts. I'm generally considering U.S. destinations but might go somewhere else. I don't want to go to California or high-altitude locations. Seen California, spouse does badly at high-altitude. We've also spent time in Maine, Florida (No DisneyWorld), Chicago, Montreal so would rather not go back there at this time.

Any Ideas?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
What sort of vacation do you like? Active? Relaxing? Sightseeing?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Like to see the sites, spend a day or so on the beach. not into hiking, biking, camping. Like pretty views, hanging out, a good massage is always nice. Would spend the time in one spot or two spots but not more than two hotels over the 7-10 day span.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Hilton Head and Charleston, SC are both very enjoyable in different ways and not too far from each other. Both have nice Marriotts.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
would have said portland maine, but you have been there.

what about Alaska? Anchorage is beautiful in the summer. You could also try to get to fairbanks and barrow if your feeling more adventurous.

Outside the US, you could check out Costa Rica. The US dollar goes very far there and flights are pretty cheap(i paid $235 RT in December)! There is tons to do in CR. if you just want to relax on a resort, you can do that. there are also plenty of excursions to do like visiting the rainforest, the active volcanos, the national park....
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you take the CHS/HHH option also consider SAV. Relatively close down the coast and also a fun destination. It'll be HOT, but should be fun, too.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There are Marriott's in Hawaii. Kids love Hawaii...not terribly difficult to get to. & would seem to fulfill your needs.
Have fun, wherever you end up.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Summers a great time to go to Detroit
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by spike74
I'm looking for ideas on where to go with the spouse and 4-year old for 7-10 days this summer. I live in NJ and am looking for someplace reasonibly priced where there are Marriotts. I'm generally considering U.S. destinations but might go somewhere else. I don't want to go to California or high-altitude locations. Seen California, spouse does badly at high-altitude. We've also spent time in Maine, Florida (No DisneyWorld), Chicago, Montreal so would rather not go back there at this time.

Any Ideas?
Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard are nice. I'd bet there are Marriots there.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cj001f
Summers a great time to go to Detroit
You jest but I've been to Detroit 5 - 10 times. I loved the old Tigers Stadium, Ren Cen is a nice place to stay with some great views, Windsor is fun too for an afternoon/evening.

I was thinking about SAV, Charleston but concerned about heat. Anywhere in VA, NC worth seeing?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
For something different.....

What about Niagara Falls and then Toronto? You can easily spend 2-3 days at Niagara Falls doing both sides of the border. Then head to Toronto for a few more days. lots to see and do in Toronto.

Boston has a ton of things to see and do for adults and kids. It can even be educational without seeming like it.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
NC and VA have places along the Blue Ridge Parkway that are delightful in the summer, and plenty of Marriotts. You said no mountains, but are the Blue Ridge Appalachians mountains? There are many interesting quaint places in both areas, plus in Southern Va theres Monticello and Colonial Williamburg.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
NC and VA have places along the Blue Ridge Parkway that are delightful in the summer, and plenty of Marriotts. You said no mountains, but are the Blue Ridge Appalachians mountains? There are many interesting quaint places in both areas, plus in Southern Va theres Monticello and Colonial Williamburg.
Mountains under 6,000 feet or so are probably fine. The spouse had a really tough time in Vail which is 10,000+ feet (we aren't skiers and went in the spring) and did fine in Denver which is 5,000.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As a Brit who does 2 x 3-week vacations in VA [Alexandria] every year for the last 10+ years, it's worth checking Virginia is for lovers.

Museums, beaches, [low] mountains, great food, great people ... which is why we keep going back. We're going in 1 week's time, and already booked for October.

Not sure about the Marriot thing [they do have them, I think], but whatever floats your boat

Feel free to PM me; we think it's an amazing vacation location with the added bonus of almost no foreign tourists [apart from us, of course].

[ooops ... check the weather charts. It can be really hot and humid in July/August]

Last edited by T8191; Apr 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm Reason: weather

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.