Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was your first Airline Flight

Old Apr 4, 10, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6

Many of you have probably flown hundreds of Airline flights. Do you remember your first airline flight, route and aircraft.
My first time in an airplane was an American Airlines 727-200 in 1969. It was not actual flight but what they called a flight seeing tour. On Saturday
afternoons, they would take the 727 out of service at CLE and operate 2 or 3 of these tours. Aircraft would take off and head west to Sandusky and turn around and come back. Cost was only $5 or $6 dollars. And no security line in those days. My first actual flight on AA BAC-111 CMH-CLE.
Old Apr 4, 10, 10:04 am

May 1965. Electra from CVG to ORD on my way to Navy boot camp. I was the guy who got picked to carry the records of everyone on the flight going to Great Lakes.

Last edited by frontender; Apr 4, 10 at 10:05 am Reason: Wrong year.
Old Apr 4, 10, 10:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
this one:

and it still looks pretty cool even after almost 52 years . we lived in new york and the family in bos wanted to see the new baby.

on june 9, 1958 at the age of 5 weeks, i became an official member of the aa sky cradle club[/URL] and the certificate is signed by the captain, first officer, flight engineer (for us old timers ) and 2 stewardesses (again for us old timers )

Last edited by goalie; Apr 4, 10 at 2:36 pm
Old Apr 4, 10, 10:23 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
My first airline flight was a UA727 from PHF-BWI. I think around 1968 or so.
Old Apr 4, 10, 10:43 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I remember checking in with my mother and my brother who was still an infant so that would have been about 1953. It was a TWA flight from Pittsburgh and I don't remember the destination. The ticket agent seated us over the wing and I got to sit in the window seat. I also got some little airline wings and I kept the playing cards. My mother kept the pack of four cigarettes.
Old Apr 4, 10, 10:51 am

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
My first flight was in Argentina, on "Austral / Aerolineas Argentinas", I remember booking it on the phone, and the kind agent asking me if I wanted a seat behind the wing or towards the front. What a question, I haven't thought of that! I had no idea which one was better, I had not seen a map yet, it was a roundtrip ticket so I got a seat towards the front and another one behind the wing.

No e-tickets yet. I got a paper airplane ticket.

A bridge was closed that day and I almost missed my very first flight, I arrived only 10 minutes prior to departure under a great stress but nobody batted an eye, there were no lines and security was just going thru a metal detector.

That very first flight was really good, a sunny day, 3 hours flight.
Old Apr 4, 10, 11:00 am

Spring 1983 - CMH- San Diego on the old Frontier in a 737-200. I remember reading the safety card but my dad wanting me to enjoy the scenery out the window (he paid good money for those tickets, you know...
Old Apr 4, 10, 11:17 am

07 July 1979 from Mumbai to Rome to London on an Air India Boeing 747-237B.
Old Apr 4, 10, 11:27 am

December 1945, CAL DC-3 DEN-HUT via probably COS-PUB-GCK-DDC
Old Apr 4, 10, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Many of you have probably flown hundreds of Airline flights. Do you remember your first airline flight, route and aircraft.
My first time in an airplane was an American Airlines 727-200 in 1969. It was not actual flight but what they called a flight seeing tour. On Saturday
afternoons, they would take the 727 out of service at CLE and operate 2 or 3 of these tours. Aircraft would take off and head west to Sandusky and turn around and come back. Cost was only $5 or $6 dollars. And no security line in those days. My first actual flight on AA BAC-111 CMH-CLE.
First flight that I can remember was with Parents to Hawai when I was 4. I think it was a Boeing, don't remember which though.

Last edited by angelaborough; Apr 7, 10 at 10:44 am
Old Apr 4, 10, 12:13 pm
Suspended

My first flight was the first of a multi-leg trip in 1977. There were no e-tickets in those days. My ticket was issued on RB and KLM stock tickets stapled together, with a total of four coupons.
RB (Syrian Arab Airlines)
DEL-MCT-DAM
DAM-MUC-LHR
In MCT, we did not disembark. The departure from Damascus was delayed waiting for connecting passengers arriving on a flight from Tashkent. COnsequently, I arrived in London too late to catch my flight to AMS, where I was to spend a night. I ended up spending the night in London and took an early morning flight to AMS to catch my flight to JFK.
KLM
LHR-AMS
AMS-JFK
I don't recall the flight number. I think it was a Boeing 727.
I haven't seen RB mentioned on FT. It might well be that I am the only FTer who has travelled on RB.

Retraction: Having searched FT for Syrian Arab Airways, I have to retract my comment about probably being the only one to have travelled on RB.

Last edited by Yaatri; Apr 4, 10 at 12:50 pm Reason: Retraction
Old Apr 4, 10, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
My first flight would have been when I was about 2 days old or so, KOI - NDY on BA (Loganair). Is that a record here?

I then flew a few years later when we went on holiday to Ibiza, but the first flights I can actually remember were in 2001, KOI - ABZ - LGW - CDG, on a school trip.
Old Apr 4, 10, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
A TWA flight in 1963 from Idlewild (JFK for you youngsters) to LAS.

Last edited by opus17; Apr 4, 10 at 12:56 pm
Old Apr 4, 10, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Nov.22,1957

Sabena flight from Manchester Ringway to New York Idlewild on a DC 7C. 18 months old flying with my mother. Apparently I screamed the whole 17 hours.
Old Apr 4, 10, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71-2: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

1971 - UA from FAT to SFO on a 707

One-way fare was $11

Search this Thread
Search Engine: